Shopping Discussion

What is the oldest or weirdest thing you have returned to Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2017 5:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
166 posts
180 upvotes

What is the oldest or weirdest thing you have returned to Costco?

I have returned a bottle jack bought 9 years ago and worth $20. I never used it, never would have used it or needed it. My dad had one when I was young. I purchased it while I was a Costco zombie Astonished Face
You can save even more by NOT spending ;)
34 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2090 posts
142 upvotes
North York
The oldest things I should but haven't returned are a set of shitty vtech cordless phones, and some cfl par bulbs that were junk and failed too early
Feb 3, 2015
924 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
Two parabolic heaters that would overheat and would not adjusted temperature.
Jan 21, 2009
254 posts
27 upvotes
Abeesee wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:40 pm
I have returned a bottle jack bought 9 years ago and worth $20. I never used it, never would have used it or needed it. My dad had one when I was young. I purchased it while I was a Costco zombie Astonished Face
Costco has no expiry date for returns?
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6223 posts
1111 upvotes
Mussels that had turned. I cooked them and added them to a tomato pasta sauce before noticing. Called Costco and asked them if they just wanted to see the receipt or the actual mussels. They wanted the mussels so they got a garbage bag full of bad mussels in tomato sauce.

The mess spent the night outside overnight on a summer night before I returned them. Wasn't putting that in my fridge.

I warned them not to open that bag!!!
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
Mine isn't anything special. Crappy Sunbeam brand LED lightbulbs... box claimed up to 10 years service, they were all dead in 14 months. Glad I kept the receipt!

xaznxplaya: You can see the returns policy here: https://customerservice.costco.ca/app/a ... l/a_id/585
The biggie in that list is electronics. Too many RFDers were getting new TV's, computers, iPads, GoPros, etc every year or two by returning the old model and buying the new one....
[OP]
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
166 posts
180 upvotes
xaznxplaya wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:11 am
Costco has no expiry date for returns?
It all depends on your particular situation. Say you spend $10k/year and seldom return anything, they will be VERY flexible. It also depends on the person behind the counter you are dealing with.
Nov 7, 2012
670 posts
238 upvotes
TORONTO
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:52 am
Mine isn't anything special. Crappy Sunbeam brand LED lightbulbs... box claimed up to 10 years service, they were all dead in 14 months. Glad I kept the receipt!
Would you really need to keep the receipt if all purchases are logged into your Costco membership? I know the receipts start to fade and degrade in no time.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
166 posts
180 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 8:53 am
Would you really need to keep the receipt if all purchases are logged into your Costco membership? I know the receipts start to fade and degrade in no time.
The folks behind the counter have a computer that can only access your last 7 (???) years of purchase. Their central computer has everything you ever bought at Costco. Always a good idea to scan/copy the receipts you wish to keep 'forever'. I keep a copy of important receipts in a safety deposit box.
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 8:53 am
Adding to ABC's answer -- makes for a lot more hassle free returns process as they won't have to search through dozens of items line by line to find the item you're returning.
But more importantly, if Costco for some reason refuses to take the return, then I can make a warranty claim directly with the manufacturer. Manufacturers require the original receipt for warranty claims (it's one way to keep claims low).

There is one return I made which is much "older" and it was by pure fluke. I bought wiper blades at some liquidation place on one of my U.S. trips, then kept them in my garage till it was time to replace what was on my car. Problem was, these new blades must have been so old that the tab broke when I installed them and I couldn't lock it to the wiper arm, it would slide loose with the wind while driving.

Go to Costco to buy new blades to replace the liquidation ones (I wasn't too upset as I bought them for maybe $3) and, what a coincidence, the blades Costco sells are exactly the same kind I bought at that U.S. store... simple matter of buying the new blades from Costco ($8), switching them out in the parking lot, and doing the "return" right after (claiming I bought the wrong size for my car). Returns lady looked at the blade up close and didn't question me since, hey, they had been used for maybe 2 days at most, looked brand new (unless she saw the broken tab)!
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
210 upvotes
I try not to abuse the policy regardless but if there is a genuine issue..

Incidentally sometimes I buy knowing I can return (buy now think later) then return unopened - I wonder if that is a bad practice if they assess what % of goods you return
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Nov 17, 2016
30 posts
15 upvotes
Nanaimo
A rotting turkey on Thanksgiving, there were other people in line returning them too. That was a fun panicked day.
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
TheZue2002 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 4:09 pm
A rotting turkey on Thanksgiving, there were other people in line returning them too. That was a fun panicked day.
As in, they never cooked the turkey, or they were returning the carcasses after their litters had stripped away all the meat?
Nov 26, 2016
85 posts
5 upvotes
what does costco do with returned items that are opened? Do they get their money back from the manufacturer? or do they throw it out?