Shopping Discussion

What payment method for chargeback scam immunity?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2018 3:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3657 posts
168 upvotes
Montreal

What payment method for chargeback scam immunity?

I'm selling something to someone (without using ebay) -- generally I assume the buyer takes on a lot of risk. But, I don't know how chargeback scams work (besides ebay).

If I receive money from someone via paypal . can they chargeback?

If they mark it as "gift" under paypal, can they still chargeback?

Is EMT chargeback immune?

I assume bitcoin is charge back immune of course.

What about Canada Post Cash on Delivery?
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1507 posts
654 upvotes
London
cloneman wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 2:38 am
I'm selling something to someone (without using ebay) -- generally I assume the buyer takes on a lot of risk. But, I don't know how chargeback scams work (besides ebay).

If I receive money from someone via paypal . can they chargeback?

If they mark it as "gift" under paypal, can they still chargeback?

Is EMT chargeback immune?

I assume bitcoin is charge back immune of course.

What about Canada Post Cash on Delivery?
emt is hard to charge back but i've seen reports were people have said the person told there bank it was unauthorized and bank took the money back. but alot harder then if paid via cc or paypal.

canada post c.o.d is kinda hard to scam with. the person has to go to a post office to pick up the package. they have to pay the postal worker in cash the amount. then the postal office makes out a postal money order and ships it back to via priority mail. its kinda hard for the person to scam via this method because they have to pay in cash and the post office is the one making the money order out so its not cancel able by the person as they don't even have the info for the money order. the only issue with c.o.d is u have to ship the package out first and if the person changes the mind on if they want it from the time u ship it out till the time it gets to them they can just tell the post office to return it to u. then ur out on the cost of #1 shipping it to them #2 the c.o.d fee #3 ud have to pay the cost of shipping it back to u as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28850 posts
14659 upvotes
Ottawa
If the funds are sent as a "payment", it cannot reversed by PayPal.
Feb 28, 2008
803 posts
318 upvotes
Canada
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 4:57 pm
If the funds are sent as a "payment", it cannot reversed by PayPal.
Doesn't PayPal have buyer protection for 6 months? (Meaning payment can be reversed upto 6 months later.)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1507 posts
654 upvotes
London
tntdeal wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 2:13 am
Doesn't PayPal have buyer protection for 6 months? (Meaning payment can be reversed upto 6 months later.)
they do. however if u send payment as gift witch some sellers request people do paypal don't let u dispute gift payments. but if they fund that payment via a cc it don't stop a charge back though the credit card.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2899 posts
953 upvotes
Montreal
EMT should be fine.
It's hard to reverse. They would have to prove to the bank that it was not legitimate.

Paypal seems pretty easy to reverse. They often side with buyer.

Canada Post COD, I've never used, should be fine.
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Oct 9, 2011
362 posts
99 upvotes
aaron158 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 12:20 pm
they do. however if u send payment as gift witch some sellers request people do paypal don't let u dispute gift payments. but if they fund that payment via a cc it don't stop a charge back though the credit card.
Agree.

Personally, I would never buy something and send a payment as "gift". The best way to protect yourself is just send with insurance and signature confirmation. If a buyer really wants to scam you, it will be really difficult to prevent. They can use the item for a while and find a reason to request for return. I've heard story where buyer return a completely different item back and request for refund...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3657 posts
168 upvotes
Montreal
I guess the next question is, how much harder is it to chargeback scam with paypal, vs paypal+ebay, in which case it's very easy to scam people.
I've had someone on ebay do a chargeback because "there was scraches" on the wallmount that comes with a router.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0