Personal Finance

What personal finance software do you recommend?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2018 11:07 am
[OP]
Nov 30, 2007
646 posts
36 upvotes

What personal finance software do you recommend?

I have used Microsoft Money since I was first introduced to personal finance software; however, I own a MacBook Pro now and am curious if there is anything that compares for OS X.
15 replies
Aug 20, 2009
7130 posts
1831 upvotes
Grimsby
For investment tracking I use my own spreadsheets.

For household stuff I used to use YNAB4 but have since built my own little clone that is web based, pretty rough around the edges. I want to polish it up sometime and throw it on github. Trying to build an Android app for it now too but free time is lacking :(
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12634 posts
846 upvotes
What's the best free personal finance app that you would recommend to a noob.

I have a (complex) system to organize my accounts but I'm trying to help some financially illiterate family members be more organized and get out of debt.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Jan 19, 2018
480 posts
300 upvotes
I currently use Spendee, but I might check out Dollarbird.
Aug 10, 2006
976 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Check out banktivity. I use it to track spendings and investments. They have a trial period to test it out.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1640 posts
1129 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Regretfully I use mint, I hate how they won’t support my credit union Visa but the convenience of syncing my bank account transactions automatically has kept me with them (I’m just using the terrible manual tracking method for my Visa card). I’ve also used homebank which is open source and I recommend it for those who don’t want to sync their financial information with a website.
I like credit unions.
Member with DUCA Credit Union. Accounts with Tangerine, BMO, and EQ Bank.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12634 posts
846 upvotes
jacnel wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 12:36 am
Regretfully I use mint, I hate how they won’t support my credit union Visa but the convenience of syncing my bank account transactions automatically has kept me with them (I’m just using the terrible manual tracking method for my Visa card). I’ve also used homebank which is open source and I recommend it for those who don’t want to sync their financial information with a website.
Do you have any other issues with mint other than the pack of support for that particular visa?
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Apr 24, 2006
972 posts
416 upvotes
GTA
Quicken 2017. I will resist upgrading to the subscription model for as long as I can. I prefer to manually enter my transactions.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1640 posts
1129 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Siefer999 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 3:30 am
Do you have any other issues with mint other than the pack of support for that particular visa?
Overall, not really, at times it will have trouble syncing with my banks (looking at you eqbank) or it will use the wrong categories for certain shops, luckily the app is pretty smart and will learn from you (e.g if you set the category for one service to something else constantly, eventually it will do that automatically).
I like credit unions.
Member with DUCA Credit Union. Accounts with Tangerine, BMO, and EQ Bank.
Jun 11, 2015
288 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I use Mint for budgeting and a spreadsheet for net worth / investment tracking.

Mint is fine.

Pros:
Really easy to use.
Pulls everything automatically, so I can keep on top of all my CCs and bank accounts every day.

Cons:
I'm constantly fighting with the categories.
One of my financial institutions isn't linked properly about 10% of the time.
Investment tracking is very poor.
Apr 16, 2008
591 posts
56 upvotes
Etobicoke
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 7:49 am
I use YNAB4 to track all my expenses/budget.
+1

YouNeedABudget is great software. Easy to use and import data.
Oct 14, 2014
546 posts
445 upvotes
Southern Ontario
deveritt wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 6:18 am
+1

YouNeedABudget is great software. Easy to use and import data.
If only the one-time purchase was still available... That $84USD/yr for the cloud version is a hell of a tough sell.

I'm still running YNAB4 as well.