Cell Phones

What phones to look for in terms of mainstream/value? (Moto G6, Nokia 6.1?)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2018 9:24 am
[OP]
Dec 26, 2011
598 posts
204 upvotes

What phones to look for in terms of mainstream/value? (Moto G6, Nokia 6.1?)

Currently using a Nexus 5 (bought at launch). Mainly looking to upgrade to hand this phone down.

In terms of what improvements would mainly care about the camera, display, and size (larger). Basically mainly use the phone to read/web browse, take pictures, and use as a music player.

Only looking to buy new from "regional" sellers (so no shipping overseas to import from say China) with free returns (burned by dead pixels in the past). Buying off plan (using prepaid with 7 eleven speakout).

So far it seems like maybe the Moto G6 or Nokia 6.1. Any other options too look out for sales? No strict budget can go higher if better value.
3 replies
Mar 7, 2017
661 posts
289 upvotes
Ham, ON
arandomguy wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 8:36 am
Currently using a Nexus 5 (bought at launch). Mainly looking to upgrade to hand this phone down.

In terms of what improvements would mainly care about the camera, display, and size (larger). Basically mainly use the phone to read/web browse, take pictures, and use as a music player.

Only looking to buy new from "regional" sellers (so no shipping overseas to import from say China) with free returns (burned by dead pixels in the past). Buying off plan (using prepaid with 7 eleven speakout).

So far it seems like maybe the Moto G6 or Nokia 6.1. Any other options too look out for sales? No strict budget can go higher if better value.
I was in the same position about 6 months ago (Still using Nexus 5 from launch).
I was about to buy the Nokia 6.1 after doing my research, but caught the a good deal on an Essential Phone. I would recommend it for a stock android experience, if you can get it below $350 or so.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2011
598 posts
204 upvotes
DealFixation wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 8:47 am
I was in the same position about 6 months ago (Still using Nexus 5 from launch).
I was about to buy the Nokia 6.1 after doing my research, but caught the a good deal on an Essential Phone. I would recommend it for a stock android experience, if you can get it below $350 or so.
In terms of pricing I'm guessing you're referring to those Koodo deals? I'll have to look it to see how that works (or worked).
Mar 7, 2017
661 posts
289 upvotes
Ham, ON
arandomguy wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 9:15 am
In terms of pricing I'm guessing you're referring to those Koodo deals? I'll have to look it to see how that works (or worked).
I don't remember exactly how much it came out to, I think less than $350 all in (No contract price).
If you haven't held an Essential Phone, go to a shop that has one, and hold it. It feels very premium, as it is all Ceramic and Titanium. Highly recommend.