Shopping Discussion

At what point do you declare a package lost?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2014 2:33 am
[OP]
Jan 13, 2011
51 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal

At what point do you declare a package lost?

So I sent a small package to a friend of mine down in L.A. California. I shipped it out last Thursday at my local Canada Post office here in MTL. It was the 3 or 4 business day USA Expedited service I purchased. By Friday afternoon it was accross the border into New York, and from there arrived at a processing center in Bethpage, NY before noon on Saturday. Here we are 4 business days later and there hasn't been any updates on the tracking to tell me if its still there or has left the sorting center. I thought it would have at least been near California by now (but there was bad weather over the weekend and Monday...) So I'm just wondering at what point should I consider calling it in to see if it's missing?

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
3734 posts
1116 upvotes
Ontario
check to see if the package qualifies for the delivery guarantee. if its arrives past the expected arrival date, you may qualify to get a full refund. i've used it many times.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28403 posts
14188 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm somewhat in a similar situation, but expecting a shipment from US to Canada via USPS.
Last update with USPS tracking shows that the parcel has left the "US" sorting center and "on route to it's destination"
That was the last and only status as of Jan 5/14.

Tracking# was provided by USPS and now that the shipment is with Canada Post, that will be the only and last update I will received.
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
119 upvotes
Kitchener
Ridiculous bureaucracy. I hate when post update doesn't update for long time. Stake your claim so they get on top of it
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1188 posts
79 upvotes
Beamsville
They've been getting hammered with bad weather since the weekend down there, take that into consideration. We've been sent home early both shifts 4 days in a row now due to parts not getting out of Buffalo and the US in general due to snow and road closures. Parts just started tricking in yesterday, that would also affect the USPS.
Mar 14, 2007
730 posts
57 upvotes
I was expecting a package from way back on black friday from the U.S., they actually shipped the order in two packages, one of them got here in like 5 days and the other one simply never showed up and was declared lost after about 3 weeks. It had a tracking number on it too but it never updated, no one knew where it ended up, I just ended up getting a refund for the items I didn't get, no big deal but still crappy it disappeared like that.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2011
51 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
I think I'm going to give it until tomorrow afternoon, then I'm going to call it in and say what gives. I didn't know you could get some $$$ back if it didn't get there on time. Good to know. The reason I worry is because googling bethpage and usps beings up quite a few forum posts of people mysteriously losing stuff at this particular sorting center...its sounds like the black hole of the us postal service.
Sep 27, 2010
551 posts
347 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had 2 packages lost in Montreal in 2013 lol. They were being shipped from Vancouver to Ottawa.

This is with Canada Post. I called them after a week past the expected date.