Personal Finance

What precautions to take; stolen tax return?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2017 11:30 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2550 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto

What precautions to take; stolen tax return?

Our accountant called the other day saying they were mailing back out documents along with the authorization form to sign and scan back. Fast forward to today and I get the mail and there is the envelope. I open it and it's only got a 4 pages from my 2015 return. I called him to inquire and he said he returned everything: all the T4 slips, a copy of the submitted return, and the authorization form for the three of us. He said he pulled the adhesive strip off the back of the envelope, added another long strip of tape and dropped it off at the post office. It was mailed overnight xpresspost and was in my locked mailbox (the one with 3 columns by 5 rows). The envelope I got had no tape and 3 staples to hold it closed. So someone, likely a Canada post employee? rummaged through the mail and took copies of our returns.

I've already signed up for the Equifax fraud service. I intend to call the CRA tomorrow morning. But what other precautions should I be taking since someone has everything they need to really do anything.
1 reply