Automotive

What is the process of buying a car in Alberta from a dealer and bringing it back?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2008 10:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1261 posts

What is the process of buying a car in Alberta from a dealer and bringing it back?

Hi everyone, i saw a car i like that is being offered by a dealer in Alberta. Since this is going to be my first car i ever purchased, i was wondering can you guys help make it clear of the procedures from getting that car into Ontario?

First, how does the taxes work? Do they charge one tax, and when i get in Ontario i get charged the PST (5%)?

Second, how does plates and licensing work? I dont have plates yet, parking permits, insurance (but i have already researched and found a company to be the cheapest)

Third, how will i transport the vehicle back to Toronto? I dont want to drive it back, will they deliver it to my door or i pick it up somewhere closer by? If so how much more do you think that will be if they charge? Are there third private companies that do this? I don't want the car to be driven back here, prefer to be transported by those car transporters instead.

Fourth, do i negotiate with the dealer over the phone, take a bus there, email, or can i negotiate with the same company dealer in Toronto and just get the people from the company in Alberta just to send it over once the deal is done?

Fifth, i might be interested in purchasing an extended warranty from them, so should negotiate that last after a price we agree on right?

Six, since its not a shady dealer, its Audi so do i still need to get a car checked by a mechanic or i should just request a carfax and carproof report from them (do i need to pay that?) and ask for the VIN number?

these are the questions i have at the top of my head right now,

THANKSS!!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1529 posts
66 upvotes
Victoria
in alberta, you will pay there tax.
when declared back in ontarion, you will pay the rest.

but before that happens. you will have to do a PROVINCIAL inspection. it is basically just paying them money. whereas when you import from the states, you have to do a PROVINCIAL and FERDERAL inspection.

you really want to BUS out? check out west jet. i flew from victoria to edmonton 2 weeks ago.. it cost me around 150 a flight.

shipping.. you are on your own on this one. buy insurance as well.. im not sure how ontario works, but if you can start insurance at time of purchase, that will be ideal.. perhaps your reputable dealer can recommend you?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11205 posts
1423 upvotes
Is this a new car or a used car?

You pay GST in AB and the dealer puts an AB transit permit on the car. When you plate the car in ON, you pay PST on the actual value or book value - which ever is higher. For shipping companies:
http://www.searail.ca/

I personally think the price for cars in AB is higher than ON. Unless this is a collector's model, it might be cheaper to talk to a dealer in ON and let them find the particular car you are looking for. The logistics are easier as you can personally look at the car or have it inspected before you pay for it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1261 posts
l69norm wrote:
Dec 15th, 2008 12:22 am
Is this a new car or a used car?

You pay GST in AB and the dealer puts an AB transit permit on the car. When you plate the car in ON, you pay PST on the actual value or book value - which ever is higher. For shipping companies:
http://www.searail.ca/

I personally think the price for cars in AB is higher than ON. Unless this is a collector's model, it might be cheaper to talk to a dealer in ON and let them find the particular car you are looking for. The logistics are easier as you can personally look at the car or have it inspected before you pay for it.
yea it is kinda overpriced i think but its a bit harder to find here. Nevertheless, the car is also used as well.

I just looked at a greyhound bus and itll take 2 days to get there? omg lol
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1666 posts
160 upvotes
Edmonton
2 days is great, drove it in 3 days, then again drove to california and back, as well as tampa bay (florida) and back (to edmonton). I would buy the car and drive it, i love to drive. What car are you interested in may i ask? There is this nice looking 1970 dodge challenger i seen last week .... :cheesygri
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11205 posts
1423 upvotes
hachiebang wrote:
Dec 15th, 2008 12:39 am
yea it is kinda overpriced i think but its a bit harder to find here. Nevertheless, the car is also used as well. I just looked at a greyhound bus and itll take 2 days to get there? omg lol
For a used car, I would suggest that you get a local dealer or car broker to look around for you. You'll be protected by ON laws governing car dealers and you won't have any hassles with inspections:
1. ON safety certificate
2. Drive Clean - emissions
3. Insurance/Checkpoint

BTW, as oldsnail suggested. One way WestJet fare for Jan 2009 is about $129+taxes =$185 vs. $155 for Greyhound. I personally would drive the car home.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4905 posts
825 upvotes
BC
Besides, it would be sacrilege to take a nice rust-free Audi from its natural surroundings and subject it to a new life in Ontario road salt.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1261 posts
oldsnail wrote:
Dec 15th, 2008 12:08 am
in alberta, you will pay there tax.
when declared back in ontarion, you will pay the rest.

but before that happens. you will have to do a PROVINCIAL inspection. it is basically just paying them money. whereas when you import from the states, you have to do a PROVINCIAL and FERDERAL inspection.

you really want to BUS out? check out west jet. i flew from victoria to edmonton 2 weeks ago.. it cost me around 150 a flight.

shipping.. you are on your own on this one. buy insurance as well.. im not sure how ontario works, but if you can start insurance at time of purchase, that will be ideal.. perhaps your reputable dealer can recommend you?
wait correct me if im wrong,

So you pay THREE taxes? When i buy the car in alberta, i would pay the GST obviously at 7%, then an alberta provincial tax (whatever percent that is, do any of you know?) and then when i come back to ontario i have to pay a provincial tax again 5% AND i have to do an ontario inspection + emissions and certification???

Sorry im new to buying cars
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11205 posts
1423 upvotes
You pay 5% GST when you buy the car in AB. There is no PST in Alberta.
When you plate the car in ON, you will pay 8% ON PST.

To get your ON plates, you will need to do a safety certification and emissions test (assuming the car is older than 1 year).

Your insurance company may also require you to do a free inspection as a condition of your insurance. This will check for pre-existing cracked glass, dents, modifications (engine, body/wheels, stereo, etc). They may deny collision and comprehensive coverage depending on what they find.

If you don't mind, what Audi model are you looking for?
× < >