Pets

What is the process of buying a dog from a breeder?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2016 3:18 am
Tags:
None
May 28, 2007
11 posts
GTA

What is the process of buying a dog from a breeder?

Hi everyone

I am a first-time soon-to-be dog owner. I contacted a breeder who breeds corgi-poodle mixes and she told me that she has a planned litter for the Spring 2016. I gave her a 100 dollar deposit to go towards the 1000 dollar cost of the puppy. To be honest, she hasn't really offered me THAT much information besides questions I've asked such as health issues of the breed, hair type, microchipping, but she hasn't really asked me about like the type of place I live in (i.e. condo, home), my lifestyle (i.e. work hours, activity level, how many people would be caring for the puppy), or offer to show me pictures of the mother and father. Is this normal?

So anyways, she told me that the litter was expected the week of February 28th and when the week rolled by, after not having had contacted each other that much during the month, I ended up reaching out to her just to inquire about the status of the mother and the litter. She responded and said that the mother had missed and they tried again with another mother and that litter was due "mid-March". At this point, I was already getting annoyed because I thought she should have e-mailed me so I would know the status instead of me reaching out to her. However, i kept my mouth shut.

I decided to e-mail her yesterday because I did not hear anything and it was mid-March and then she told me that the litter was born 4 days ago. This added to my frustration. I had so many questions and wanted to know when I can start choosing my puppy and if there were any pictures. She told me that choosing doesn't happen until 3 weeks later and that is when the pictures would come out.

Is this normal?! I have never purchased a puppy before and was wondering if this is a normal interaction between potential puppy owners and their breeders? Can I expect more communication when it is finalized that one of the puppies are going to be mind (I am 4th on the waiting list)? What other things can I expect in the next 8 weeks before I go and pick up my puppy?

Thanks in advance

Yonda
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Why are you buying from a breeder when there are thousands and thousands of homeless abandoned dogs out there that need a home? So many good rescue groups out there (and they are cheaper too)
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
You're buying from a backyard breeder at best fronting as a real breeder. A mix is not a purebred. You are supporting a bad cause. They will not have health testing nor will the parents have any kind of genetic testing nor will there be any kind of breed standard when purchasing a mix... essentially you are just buying a mix for a huge price tag with no benefits whatsoever.

A good breeder is so many things ... Here is a list: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/comparison.html
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
yondalai, No this is not the normal behaviour of a good breeder (and yes, the pup will be a mix, but that was not your question).

However, despite being a backyard breeder she could easily have asked you all of the right questions regarding your lifestyle etc. but still have been a backyard breeder. (Guess how we know?) In our case we did adopt a pup simply because he was the runt of the litter and he moved heaven and earth to get to me.

You are going to have to make a decision. I would not count on pictures of the pups. You will have to see the puppies and then if you are like me, a self-confessed wimp when it comes to dogs, the pup may well grab at your heart strings and you will adopt him/her.

Absolutely do not give the breeder any more money at this point, and be prepared to write off the $100 deposit should you decide not to move forward.

Were you told how much the puppy should weigh at full growth? There are no guarantees as to the pup's appearance and temperament - could go either way - Poodle vs. Corgi. If the pup has the Corgi back I would suggest investing in a few ramps (we used to have Dachshunds).

Eight weeks is young, 12 weeks would be better. However that is the least of your worries.

If you don't mind providing the information, what is your lifestyle - home/condo, number of people who would be caring for the pup etc. Have you a vet in mind - I would be looking now.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
redgrandam wrote: Why are you buying from a breeder when there are thousands and thousands of homeless abandoned dogs out there that need a home? So many good rescue groups out there (and they are cheaper too)
I'm guessing you don't have/plan on having your own kids since there are many orphan children in the world...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
rems wrote: I'm guessing you don't have/plan on having your own kids since there are many orphan children in the world...
What does that have to do with dogs?

And adopting a human is on our list.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Blanche123 wrote: yondalai, No this is not the normal behaviour of a good breeder (and yes, the pup will be a mix, but that was not your question).

However, despite being a backyard breeder she could easily have asked you all of the right questions regarding your lifestyle etc. but still have been a backyard breeder. (Guess how we know?) In our case we did adopt a pup simply because he was the runt of the litter and he moved heaven and earth to get to me.

You are going to have to make a decision. I would not count on pictures of the pups. You will have to see the puppies and then if you are like me, a self-confessed wimp when it comes to dogs, the pup may well grab at your heart strings and you will adopt him/her.

Absolutely do not give the breeder any more money at this point, and be prepared to write off the $100 deposit should you decide not to move forward.

Were you told how much the puppy should weigh at full growth? There are no guarantees as to the pup's appearance and temperament - could go either way - Poodle vs. Corgi. If the pup has the Corgi back I would suggest investing in a few ramps (we used to have Dachshunds).

Eight weeks is young, 12 weeks would be better. However that is the least of your worries.

If you don't mind providing the information, what is your lifestyle - home/condo, number of people who would be caring for the pup etc. Have you a vet in mind - I would be looking now.
+1

She is a backyard breeder, and not a "decent" one, especially considering the $1000 price tag. Her tactics aren't normal or acceptable.

Are you specifically looking for a corgi mix? Or a poodle mix?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
redgrandam wrote: What does that have to do with dogs?

And adopting a human is on our list.
Because you're asking why he would buy from a breeder when he can adopt on from a shelter. You are against them buying from a breeder when there are many abandoned dogs that need a home. Same logic to children. The OP isn't harming anything by buying from a breeder. Why would you question his/her decision?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
rems wrote: Because you're asking why he would buy from a breeder when he can adopt on from a shelter. You are against them buying from a breeder when there are many abandoned dogs that need a home. Same logic to children. The OP isn't harming anything by buying from a breeder. Why would you question his/her decision?
I don't know many people that buy children from human breeders. But I would be against that too.

Also, looks like a backyard breeder, likely from a puppy mill, which is a huge issue in North America.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
redgrandam wrote: I don't know many people that buy children from human breeders. But I would be against that too.

Also, looks like a backyard breeder, likely from a puppy mill, which is a huge issue in North America.
ha good try deflecting. Clearly you can't birth your own dog.
But why are you making your own babies when there are so many abandoned ones out there. Cuz to you, you should be helping those. Why make your own baby when you can adopt one? That's why you're against buying from a breeder because you said you should be adopting abandoned ones instead.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
rems wrote: ha good try deflecting. Clearly you can't birth your own dog.
But why are you making your own babies when there are so many abandoned ones out there. Cuz to you, you should be helping those. Why make your own baby when you can adopt one? That's why you're against buying from a breeder because you said you should be adopting abandoned ones instead.
When did I say I was not in support of adopting kids instead? I fully an. And I have worked with CAS (in a good way). No kids of our own. Deciding whether to adopt or have none.

I've worked with sooooo many dogs that people got from breeders as puppies, and within 8 months people give them up.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
redgrandam wrote: When did I say I was not in support of adopting kids instead? I fully an. And I have worked with CAS (in a good way). No kids of our own. Deciding whether to adopt or have none.

I've worked with sooooo many dogs that people got from breeders as puppies, and within 8 months people give them up.
You're saying you should ONLY adopt. Otherwise you'd have no issues with getting a pet from a breeder.
I don't disagree that puppies get abandoned. Doesn't mean you can't get one from a breeder. Babies get abandoned too. Doesn't mean you can't have your own child. See how this comparison is working now?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
There is room for both rescue and breeders. Animal advocates that don't understand this are a bit too over zealous, imo.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
1294 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
When we bought from a breeder she basically determined if we were a right match for one of her pups. We had to go out to her place and we talk to her and saw her operation. We were getting a purebred and she had the family history on paper for us and traced the lineage back. Even though she was reputable our dog developed hip dysplasia and we lost her at 6 or 7. On the other hand, our first dog was a cross between an Old English Sheepdog and a standard Poodle. She never really had any health issues and she lived until she was 18.
Oct 4, 2012
270 posts
271 upvotes
Amherstview
Beachdown wrote: +1

She is a backyard breeder, and not a "decent" one, especially considering the $1000 price tag. Her tactics aren't normal or acceptable.

Are you specifically looking for a corgi mix? Or a poodle mix?

I agree that she sounds like a backyard breeder. But I don't know if $1000 price tag is a good indicator of this, I have heard of reputable breeders charging $1000-1500. The $100 deposit seems low to me though.

I think her conduct is much more telling for at least three reasons:

(1) Reputable breeders will usually show you pictures of the parents/other puppies and have health clearances readily available.

(2) Reputable breeders will also ask a lot of questions and expect a few questions about their breeding practices. They'll also ask you to sign a contract for the puppy at some time thats usually fairly intrusive (clauses like: "in the event of you not being able to take care of the dog, you will return the dog to the breeder so that it can be rehomed").

(3) I assume puppies leave their mommies at 8 weeks. If she didn't tell you that the mother had a litter AND that she was expecting (after having missed), its very very likely that she's a backyard breeder. If she was a good breeder, she would have let you know while the mother was expecting so you can plan for the puppy in advance.

I also don't know about breeding practices, but hopefully someone can provide some insight about this. But was it too soon for the breeder to try and breed the dog again? The first expected (and missed) litter was the last week of Feb. and OP contacted the breeder who claimed that the other litter was born around Mar. 15.

You can try to get your deposit back, but from the sounds of things, it'll probably not be worth the effort.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
JosephGalt wrote: I agree that she sounds like a backyard breeder. But I don't know if $1000 price tag is a good indicator of this, I have heard of reputable breeders charging $1000-1500. The $100 deposit seems low to me though.

I think her conduct is much more telling for at least three reasons:

(1) Reputable breeders will usually show you pictures of the parents/other puppies and have health clearances readily available.

(2) Reputable breeders will also ask a lot of questions and expect a few questions about their breeding practices. They'll also ask you to sign a contract for the puppy at some time thats usually fairly intrusive (clauses like: "in the event of you not being able to take care of the dog, you will return the dog to the breeder so that it can be rehomed").

(3) I assume puppies leave their mommies at 8 weeks. If she didn't tell you that the mother had a litter AND that she was expecting (after having missed), its very very likely that she's a backyard breeder. If she was a good breeder, she would have let you know while the mother was expecting so you can plan for the puppy in advance.

I also don't know about breeding practices, but hopefully someone can provide some insight about this. But was it too soon for the breeder to try and breed the dog again? The first expected (and missed) litter was the last week of Feb. and OP contacted the breeder who claimed that the other litter was born around Mar. 15.

You can try to get your deposit back, but from the sounds of things, it'll probably not be worth the effort.
$100 deposit is very low. If they are only charging $1000 per pup, there isn't much health testing (if any), so it's mostly profit for the byb.

Everything else you said is very true. There should be questions, contracts, timely contact when pups are born and as they grow. You should be able to see pictures for the first few weeks and arrange a visit in person after they have their first shots. Health guarantees (which are virtually meaningless), spay/neuter contract.

The second litter would be from a different mother. Dogs go into heat every 6-7 months or so.
Aug 16, 2011
841 posts
253 upvotes
Kitchener
ouch, doesn't sound good, a lot of red flags. $1000 for a mixed breed dog is a huge red flag and the fact that she isn't communicating with you is as well. Honestly, I'd ask for your deposit back and find a reputable breeder to get a puppy from.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Beachdown wrote: There is room for both rescue and breeders. Animal advocates that don't understand this are a bit too over zealous, imo.
Agreed.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
starrlamia wrote: ouch, doesn't sound good, a lot of red flags. $1000 for a mixed breed dog is a huge red flag and the fact that she isn't communicating with you is as well. Honestly, I'd ask for your deposit back and find a reputable breeder to get a puppy from.
I doubt that the OP's deposit would be refundable - a look at the paperwork (if any) should clearly spell that out.
Aug 16, 2011
841 posts
253 upvotes
Kitchener
Blanche123 wrote: I doubt that the OP's deposit would be refundable - a look at the paperwork (if any) should clearly spell that out.
oh I doubt it too but it doesn't hurt to try

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)