• Oct 21st, 2018 12:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17073 posts
431 upvotes

What progression for fire arms?

I took my kids out to the range for the first time today, they loved it. We let go just shy of 500 rounds. We were planning our next excursion on the way home

This was great, we had lots of fun. It was their first time out so the rso and I only let them use a .22 but they were interested in other fire arms as well.

I started late into shooting myself and straight to a 7 mm rifle so on the lower progression I'm uncertain on which way to go. I'd expect .22 for atleast another year but I'd appreciate any advice. Safety is my key concern. So I'm thinking very incremental.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1609 posts
100 upvotes
Scarborough
The next step up is usually 9mm. Relatively cheap, low recoil, and just about every kind of gun is available in that calibre.

How old are your kids? My youngest brother was 10 when he shot a gun for the first time had he had no issues handling up to .45 ACP. 9mm should be quite controllable for most kids 8 and up. Start 'em off with just one round in the mag, to see how they deal with the recoil.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17073 posts
431 upvotes
tritium4ever wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 4:50 am
The next step up is usually 9mm. Relatively cheap, low recoil, and just about every kind of gun is available in that calibre.

How old are your kids? My youngest brother was 10 when he shot a gun for the first time had he had no issues handling up to .45 ACP. 9mm should be quite controllable for most kids 8 and up. Start 'em off with just one round in the mag, to see how they deal with the recoil.
They are 8 and 9. We were at the range and the volume of the 9mm scared them haha. I'm sure they would like to try one though. Maybe after a few more trips.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1609 posts
100 upvotes
Scarborough
Super strokey wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 3:13 pm
They are 8 and 9. We were at the range and the volume of the 9mm scared them haha. I'm sure they would like to try one though. Maybe after a few more trips.
No need to rush them. I've seen people develop bad habits firing something out of their comfort zone. One guy I went to the range with had a pretty significant flinch, he'd push the gun down just as he was pulling the trigger (in anticipation of the recoil) and he always shot waaaaay low as a result.

If the noise is too loud for them you can always double up on the hearing protection by using both earplugs and earmuffs. It does make a noticeable difference. On a side note, I sure wish they would make suppressors legal in Canada. Good for the shooters and good for the people near gun ranges.

And think of it this way...the longer they keep shooting just .22LR, the more money you save. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1138 posts
65 upvotes
Beamsville
Pistol or rifle?

I'd look into a nice accurate bolt action .22 or a .22 pistol or even revolver. I have a .22 Beretta model 71 pistol that is my favourite to take to the range, a 500 round brick goes a long ways lol. My savage mkII rifle was cheap and will last for years.
May 9, 2018
83 posts
18 upvotes
Looking into getting a .22 pistol that my son who is 10 can get a use out of as well. The Rutger mark IV with its easy dismantle for cleaning looks appealing
woobie wrote:
Oct 20th, 2018 12:21 pm
Pistol or rifle?

I'd look into a nice accurate bolt action .22 or a .22 pistol or even revolver. I have a .22 Beretta model 71 pistol that is my favourite to take to the range, a 500 round brick goes a long ways lol. My savage mkII rifle was cheap and will last for years.