Careers

What questions do you ask interviewers?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 6:35 pm
Oct 24, 2009
398 posts
96 upvotes
Lately I have started to ask how performance is assessed in this role - since in my line of work sometimes the assessment can be quite subjective rather than based on quantifiable facts.
Toad99 wrote: 3. What is the management style of the person I would be reporting to.
I am curious as to what do you hope to hear in response to this question? I doubt the interviewers would say anything other than what they think interviewees would want to hear.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
Walch1102 wrote: Because all those questions focus on YOU. It shows zero interest/passion for the job.
If you ask those questions at the end, to tick a few boxes, fine. But if those are your first questions, I personally would not invite you back for a 2nd interview regardless of how you performed earlier.

Now this is coming from an office professional's viewpoint. If you're working some random job or you're a tradesperson getting paid hourly to do sht work you obviously wouldn't be passionate about, those questions seems appropriate.
Not quite right here. Many of us are passionate about what we do and do amazing work. But also we go job to job and don't plan on sticking to one place for long. If I am there to service the gearboxes and pumps, I don't care what's going on in 1 year, I don't care about the Hawaii shirt day or what your dogs name is or what the managers schedule is. I am there to do a job, get it done right, and move on to the next gig. So I am only concerned about #1 - me.
If I had any single job that ever required a second interview, I wouldn't even bother with the first. I don't care what kind of circle jrking you guys doing in the x number of interviews you need to find some random dude for your company, it definitely ain't me.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1145 posts
879 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: Not quite right here. Many of us are passionate about what we do and do amazing work. But also we go job to job and don't plan on sticking to one place for long. If I am there to service the gearboxes and pumps, I don't care what's going on in 1 year, I don't care about the Hawaii shirt day or what your dogs name is or what the managers schedule is. I am there to do a job, get it done right, and move on to the next gig. So I am only concerned about #1 - me.
If I had any single job that ever required a second interview, I wouldn't even bother with the first. I don't care what kind of circle jrking you guys doing in the x number of interviews you need to find some random dude for your company, it definitely ain't me.
Let's be honest, you're not passionate about the work. Nobody is passionate about servicing pumps in frozen hell. It's a paycheck for you. You care to do a good job because (1) you're responsible and (2) that gets you your next paycheck.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1190 upvotes
Vancouver
Can I show you my boo?
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2660 posts
1269 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: Never ask this question.
Nothing wrong with it to be honest. You don't want to waste their time and yours unless you are desperate for the job and planning to leave anyway.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)