Automotive

What risk does one run by overfilling engine with engine oil?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2008 7:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3498 posts
123 upvotes
Cochrane

What risk does one run by overfilling engine with engine oil?

Let's say be 25-50% beyond the stick's top line? Over normal city driving and taking the car to extreme high revving RPM speeds.

And as a side, why the heck do new cars these days don't come with an engine pressure gauge?? And a battery gauge??
30 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2217 posts
75 upvotes
Ottawa
High pressure may develop in the crankcase from having too much oil in the engine and can lead to oil leakage, as well as premature engine wear and damages. Just get it drained ASAP.

~V79~
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1515 posts
59 upvotes
Victoria
plucky duck wrote:Let's say be 25-50% beyond the stick's top line? Over normal city driving and taking the car to extreme high revving RPM speeds.

And as a side, why the heck do new cars these days don't come with an engine pressure gauge?? And a battery gauge??
i think u mean engine oil pressure and a voltometer gauge.. alot of cars do come with them.. i guess its just the car u chose doesnt have it..

if u just refer to your manual to see how much oil it actually uses, it would help.
Dec 7, 2004
47 posts
The risk is not oil pressure (contrary to previous posters) The risk is that the crankshaft hits the oil level, causing hydraulic shock and for which is not desighed. And of course if the level is really high it starts getting into the piston area.

But as others said.............. drain it
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2004
1986 posts
4 upvotes
Also robs power and fuel economy because too much oil causes resistance to the crank. Lubrication is fine, but bathe the crank in oil and it has to push too much out of the way. Too much or too little oil can also result in foaming the oil which makes your lubrication factor drop.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2003
1802 posts
146 upvotes
Did this on a old '81 Civic. It burned it off. What a smoke show! :cheesygri But still drove the same after. Do you care about your car? If so drain it.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
2 upvotes
it'll ruin the crank too
too much oil pressure than the crank can handle
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12803 posts
3678 upvotes
plucky duck wrote:And as a side, why the heck do new cars these days don't come with an engine pressure gauge?? And a battery gauge??
A lot of new cars come with oil pressure and battery gauges - yours just doesn't.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3498 posts
123 upvotes
Cochrane
I changed the oil just last week and notice that it does drive a bit sluggishly. I'll drain it this weekend. It was about 5-7cm over the line. I just thought it'd be safer to have overfilled a bit than have no oil in the system.
× < >