Automotive

What are the rules on stopping and dropping kids off?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 10:26 am
[OP]
Dec 14, 2007
776 posts
215 upvotes

What are the rules on stopping and dropping kids off?

So today I dropped my kid off like every other day. I stopped my car near the pedestrian approach. Proceeded to let the kid cross the road to the school. Then some parent came all judgemental saying I can't park there and how I was going to back into kids and stuff. Note I stopped there for barely a minute so technically not parked. Usually when before I get into my car, I look around for any possible hazards ie. running kids in this case. Plus the backup camera there's absolutely no chance of me running anything over.

Attached is a picture where I stopped today. I was more or less where the dodge is. I see parents "park" there all the time. I know it doesn't make it right. So my question is what are the rules for stopping and dropping people off? I have my flame suit on. Please comment.
Images
  • Untitled.jpg
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4463 posts
3520 upvotes
kkkat wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:54 pm
So today I dropped my kid off like every other day. I stopped my car near the pedestrian approach. Proceeded to let the kid cross the road to the school. Then some parent came all judgemental saying I can't park there and how I was going to back into kids and stuff. Note I stopped there for barely a minute so technically not parked. Usually when before I get into my car, I look around for any possible hazards ie. running kids in this case. Plus the backup camera there's absolutely no chance of me running anything over.

Attached is a picture where I stopped today. I was more or less where the dodge is. I see parents "park" there all the time. I know it doesn't make it right. So my question is what are the rules for stopping and dropping people off? I have my flame suit on. Please comment.
I think it's technically illegal to stop or park within a certain distance of any intersection. Probably 15m.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11439 posts
7161 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yup you can get ticketed. But you know what rules don’t seem to apply to parents when dropping/picking up so whatevs!!!

Not directed at OP, but in general. There are some pretty brutal parents out there.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2007
776 posts
215 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:13 pm
Yup you can get ticketed. But you know what rules don’t seem to apply to parents when dropping/picking up so whatevs!!!

Not directed at OP, but in general. There are some pretty brutal parents out there.
You got it. Parents are above and beyond. Their kids are the most beautiful and smartest of all. LOL. Once a kid opened the door so hard it left nice sharp ding on my car. The parent asked me "what's the problem? you don't get one today you will get one another day, get over it".

Funny thing is I saw parking officer there before and he did not think it was a problem. He was telling the parent parked right beside the approach to move, also no tickets.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2097 posts
2147 upvotes
GTA
Parking, Stopping, and Standing are regulated by a municipality's bylaws. So everywhere will be different.

Just checked mine and it says no parking or stopping with 9 meters of an intersection when no signs are posted. Not within 15 meters when there are signs.

edit: It also says no parking or stopping on either side of a highway adjacent to school property 8-5 Mon-Fri when signs are posted. And not with 15 meters of a school crossing when signs are posted.

The moral of the story: check your bylaws.
Last edited by derass on Jan 17th, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 8, 2010
234 posts
183 upvotes
kkkat wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:27 pm
Once a kid opened the door so hard it left nice sharp ding on my car. The parent asked me "what's the problem? you don't get one today you will get one another day, get over it".
Next time you catch someone ding your car door, just ask for $200 or call insurance. No matter how small the damage is, as long as there is visible mark, insurance adjuster will repaint the door.

So they need to decide 1) $500 deductible for a $700 paint job. 2) Settle privately with you.

Can't let the suckers walk away free. They will come back and beg you.
Last edited by billy_z on Jan 17th, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5382 posts
636 upvotes
Calgary
Op, it is illegal because it blocks other driver from seeing pedestrians crossing. It is a safety concern. Don't do it again.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2007
776 posts
215 upvotes
billy_z wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:44 pm
Next time you catch someone ding your car door, just ask for $200 or call insurance. No matter how small the damage is, as long as there is visible mark, insurance adjuster will repaint the door.

So they need to decide 1) $500 deductible for a $700 paint job. 2) Settle privately with you.

Can't let the suckers walk away free. They will come back and beg you.
No I didn't let her get away. I got her insurance info and went through with it. If she was being apologetic, I would have let it go.
Feb 8, 2010
234 posts
183 upvotes
derass wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:42 pm
Parking, Stopping, and Standing are regulated by a municipality's bylaws. So everywhere will be different.
I can't drive 5kms without breaking some laws. Just drop off the kid and move on.

Never drive over 40km in a school/library/hospital zone in your life? There is a speed meter near my kid's school; while I park there waiting, every car is over 40km.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2007
776 posts
215 upvotes
derass wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:42 pm

Just checked mine and it says no parking or stopping with 9 meters of an intersection when no signs are posted. Not within 15 meters when there are signs.

edit: It also says no parking or stopping on either side of a highway adjacent to school property 8-5 Mon-Fri when signs are posted. And not with 15 meters of a school crossing when signs are posted.

The moral of the story: check your bylaws.
Found it.

For us it's "at an intersection nearer than 5 metres to the projection of the corner property line immediately ahead or immediately to the rear".

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2097 posts
2147 upvotes
GTA
Maybe you can't. Speeding is HTA, not bylaw. I pass through 2 school zones on my daily commute. I don't go over 40. That's just asking for a ticket.
Last edited by derass on Jan 17th, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 8, 2010
234 posts
183 upvotes
kkkat wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:54 pm
It looks 90% similar to where I drop off my kid everyday, except there is a fire hydrant at where I park. :twisted:

If I got there late, even that spot can be taken, and I would have to drive further down the street and walk back.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2097 posts
2147 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, so that 5 meter space offers a bit of extra safety in case someone is using the crosswalk behind your car and strays a bit out of it just as you start backing up.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4463 posts
3520 upvotes
billy_z wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:02 pm
I can't drive 5kms without breaking some laws. Just drop off the kid and move on.

Never drive over 40km in a school/library/hospital zone in your life? There is a speed meter near my kid's school; while I park there waiting, every car is over 40km.
That's messed up. Basically every school zone near me have cops and speed traps set up every day. I see tons of people getting tickets, particularly the high school kids. Hope you get a ticket soon.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5382 posts
636 upvotes
Calgary
derass wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:09 pm
Yeah, so that 5 meter space offers a bit of extra safety in case someone is using the crosswalk behind your car and strays a bit out of it just as you start backing up.
It is more than that, a vehicle stop/park too close to pedestrian crossing/intersection block visibility of other drivers seeing the pedestrian while he/she is starting to cross the road.