What is the Running Room like?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2005 7:56 am
Tags:
None
Oct 3, 2004
339 posts

What is the Running Room like?

I am thinking of joining one of their workshops: Learn how to run.
Are they effective? What is the age group of most people there?

Thanks!

-Sptembergurl
9 replies
Aug 5, 2004
186 posts
If you are a beginer at running, it's pretty good. The age range is varied, but it tends to ppl in 30 +. And the running room workshops I've been to, the runners know what they are talking about. So, they start you off real easy with these run 10 min walk 1 and proceed from there. The groups are pretty friendly, and it's a good way start running.

Have fun!
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
1187 posts
1 upvote
Toronto ON
I would add my kudos to the Running Room. I took my first running clinic only when I wanted to run my first half-marathon.

Didn't go to the Running Room (then) but had a good outcome.

Wish now I had learned to run with their run/walk strategy. May go back and take one of their sessions just to condition myself that way.

At any rate, I have the world of respect for the Running Room, and John Stanton (the founder) whom I've heard speak many, many times. It's a great group - go for it.

Tracy
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
5 upvotes
brwnhaggler wrote:The groups are pretty friendly, and it's a good way start running.
How friendly?
Any good looking girls? Love runner girls :P
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Dec 8, 2001
137 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Just wondering: does the Running room charge for their clinics?
Do they push their gear on you?
If I turn-up wearing my Zeller Brand running shoes do I have to run at the back of the pack?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
1187 posts
1 upvote
Toronto ON
Yes, they charge for their clinics. They offer professional "been there, done that" expertise, and they often bring in professional experts to speak on a relevant topic.

Best money I ever spent. Trust me.

They do NOT push their product on participants. They do suggest, and so they should, that individuals who are running long distances, or individuals who are running a lot, use the appropriate gear. There IS a difference between the footwear or sportswear offered at Zellers and those that are technical fabrics that are offered by specialty stores.

I say that because I HAVE "been there, worn that cheap shirt, paid the price later" story.

They do have experts to help you fit some shoes if you have the need, although many other specialty stores will also provide this service.

Any money I have ever spent at the Running Room has come back to me with either a free technical t-shirt, a discount coupon, or a value added product.

In the clinics, you're paying for expertise to teach you a skill. It's worth paying for. Ofcourse they'd love it if you also purchased something while you were already there, but there has NEVER been pressure to do so.

You can join a Running Room anywhere in Canada and go out with their local crew for a community run. It's the principles the chain is established on. Yes, it's a for-profit enterprise, but the foundation has deep roots in fellowship, community and promoting a fit lifestyle.

Tracy
Nov 15, 2004
778 posts
3 upvotes
yatko wrote:How friendly?
Any good looking girls? Love runner girls :P
You do realize there won't be any over weight girls. Those that are over weight and jog, will quick become lose those pounds (granted, that is they are persistent) :) .

Just like biker (cycling) girls too :D .
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
5 upvotes
ctam wrote:You do realize there won't be any over weight girls. Those that are over weight and jog, will quick become lose those pounds (granted, that is they are persistent) :) .

Yea best of the crop. :P
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
1187 posts
1 upvote
Toronto ON
ctam wrote:You do realize there won't be any over weight girls. Those that are over weight and jog, will quick become lose those pounds (granted, that is they are persistent) :) .

Ah, yet another myth!!
Having run in many large, long distance events, and shorter distances - I see men and women of ALL shapes and sizes. Yes, often a runner tends to lean out, but there are many, many who do not appear like a stereotypical runner.

I'm among them!!

Trac
Nov 18, 2004
690 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
I did a half marathon clinic 2+ years ago at the running room and the best thing about it (apart from helping me finish) were the people I met -- I still run with a couple people I met at that clinic every weekend.

I believe the running room loses money on the clinics, or at least make no money on them (they usually have each clinic sponsored ie New Balance, Asics...) The key is that running (for me marathon running) is habit forming. Which, if that's what you're looking for, is a good thing.

With respect to women at the 'room -- from what I recall -- there were always a good number of women there 'getting in shape for the dress'...

Though I do know some guys who met their GFs there.