• Jan 16th, 2019 11:13 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1457 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Hindenburg1 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 8:00 am
Don't feel bad. Most of it isn't true. When it comes to salary talk on RFD, you can pretty much dismiss about 80% of these as over-exaggerations and lies. Otherwise it looks like pretty much everyone here makes 100k+.
Or people that makes 100k+ shares what they make to show it off and tell everyone they are better than you
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5891 posts
3067 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Hindenburg1 wrote:
Don't feel bad. Most of it isn't true. When it comes to salary talk on RFD, you can pretty much dismiss about 80% of these as over-exaggerations and lies. Otherwise it looks like pretty much everyone here makes 100k+.
Everybody is rich on here. This is one of the few places where someone making only 60K in their career (like me) is a total loser. Thankfully hubby makes more lol. Honestly, I got by just fine before I met him, and I would again if things didn't work out.

When we put too much stock into what people online say, it is easy to feel unsuccessful. I am old enough to know better, but even I get those "twinges" sometimes reading these threads.
Mar 24, 2015
797 posts
218 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
$60 here as well and not embarrassed about it at all. Husband earns about $80k and has a secure job with the government. I'm in the office 35hrs per week, get to drop my kids at the bus stop at 8:15 and be there in the afternoon. Home by 4:30pm, get dinner ready. Have enough money for RESP, RRSP, lump sum payment for mortgage, and go on a yearly vacation. My job is only 10-15mins away, I work from home 1-2 days per week. We were able to afford the detached 4-bed house we wanted (thanks to living in Ottawa), get the cars we wanted. I could apply for my manager's job and add another $10k but why would I want to add more stress and reduce the time I spend with my family. I would need to travel, get before and after school care for the kids, and probably rely on takeout.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29670 posts
4512 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
No matter how rich you are, there is always someone else that’s better off.

I’m cash poor and house poor. I’m not jealous or envious of anyone else.

I want to make more money. Who doesn’t? There is no salary sweet spot. The more you make, the more you will spend. Your life improves. I think people are trying to justify their salary. There is no justification. If you get by with no debt, you’re doing great. More money affords a better life style. Who doesn’t want that?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5891 posts
3067 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ckay1980 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 10:59 am
$60 here as well and not embarrassed about it at all. Husband earns about $80k and has a secure job with the government. I'm in the office 35hrs per week, get to drop my kids at the bus stop at 8:15 and be there in the afternoon. Home by 4:30pm, get dinner ready. Have enough money for RESP, RRSP, lump sum payment for mortgage, and go on a yearly vacation. My job is only 10-15mins away, I work from home 1-2 days per week. We were able to afford the detached 4-bed house we wanted (thanks to living in Ottawa), get the cars we wanted. I could apply for my manager's job and add another $10k but why would I want to add more stress and reduce the time I spend with my family. I would need to travel, get before and after school care for the kids, and probably rely on takeout.
I love Ottawa! Best thing I've ever done for myself was to move here and get the hell out of Victoria.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5891 posts
3067 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gee wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 11:27 am
I want to make more money. Who doesn’t? There is no salary sweet spot. The more you make, the more you will spend.
That may be true for many people, but we have kept pretty much the same lifestyle even though our income went up considerably last year due to hubby retiring from military (getting an immediate monthly pension) and flipping into another job that pays him as much as he made while in the military. That is about a $50K annual increase for us. We did increase savings mainly, and putting extra payments towards mortgage. Most everything else we've tried to keep about the same. We already had an okay lifestyle for us, and I've tried to stick to that. Maybe once the mortgage is paid off we will do more.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8164 posts
866 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Gee wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 11:27 am
I want to make more money. Who doesn’t? There is no salary sweet spot. The more you make, the more you will spend. Your life improves. I think people are trying to justify their salary. There is no justification. If you get by with no debt, you’re doing great. More money affords a better life style. Who doesn’t want that?
I'm interpreting the term "sweet spot" differently from OP. He's trying to justify living expenses, but I think of the "conundrum" more like this:
- More salary tends to equal more responsibility/stress
- More salary also tends to equal more taxes

When factoring in those 2 points, there probably *is* a sweet spot in terms of how much take home pay you get (aka how it affects your lifestyle) vs the tradeoffs of that higher salary. Like you said, given the choice, most people would enjoy more money, but in reality, more money tends to come with tradeoffs so the question should be IMO, what's the "sweet spot" when factoring those in?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29670 posts
4512 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
uber_shnitz wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 1:12 pm
I'm interpreting the term "sweet spot" differently from OP. He's trying to justify living expenses, but I think of the "conundrum" more like this:
- More salary tends to equal more responsibility/stress
- More salary also tends to equal more taxes

When factoring in those 2 points, there probably *is* a sweet spot in terms of how much take home pay you get (aka how it affects your lifestyle) vs the tradeoffs of that higher salary. Like you said, given the choice, most people would enjoy more money, but in reality, more money tends to come with tradeoffs so the question should be IMO, what's the "sweet spot" when factoring those in?
I totally agree with that. But it is different in each industry.

The sunshine list was released today. The president of Ontario Hydro is at $1.5 million, I am sure he has a lot of responsibilities and some stress, but $1.5 million buys a lot of therapy

President of U of T is at $936,000 and he surrounded by smart people.

I looked at the list, I’m not on it :(
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9909 posts
4371 upvotes
Toronto
$150,000 is ideal.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1911 posts
668 upvotes
Alberta
Hindenburg1 wrote:
To be honest, a lot of the users on RFD are asian (either east asian, south asian) where it was ingrained in our culture that you had to be a professional (doctor/lawyer/accountant/engineer etc.) so it's not unreasonable to assume that those professions pay over 100k after working in the industry for 5 years or so. Also if you're on RFD in the career and/or finance forums you are most likely more interested in career development and finances than the majority of the population. So it would make sense that the income of the members on RFD is much higher than the national average.

Joe Blow sitting in his trailer park is probably not on RFD.

To get back on topic a bit. We are at the stage that we are very happy with our lifestyle and disposable income. So any additional income we receive would just be gravy and there wouldn't be any lifestyle creep. We've actually gotten smarter with money as our incomes have increased. When I was younger I wanted and purchased a large house with great finishes, leases 2 brand new cars. Now we have a home that is decorated nicely but is not massive and/or expensive, drive used cars (only a few years old) and cook more at home then we used to (healthier and tastier)! So our actual spending has decreased as our income has risen over the past 3-5 years.

Not going to Vegas or Miami and blow thousands on bottle service / gambling. Also not partying every weekend at the club/bars like we did in our late 20's early 30's.
Jul 1, 2017
216 posts
120 upvotes
abc123yyz wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 3:06 pm
To be honest, a lot of the users on RFD are asian (either east asian, south asian) where it was ingrained in our culture that you had to be a professional (doctor/lawyer/accountant/engineer etc.) so it's not unreasonable to assume that those professions pay over 100k after working in the industry for 5 years or so. Also if you're on RFD in the career and/or finance forums you are most likely more interested in career development and finances than the majority of the population. So it would make sense that the income of the members on RFD is much higher than the national average.

Joe Blow sitting in his trailer park is probably not on RFD.

To get back on topic a bit. We are at the stage that we are very happy with our lifestyle and disposable income. So any additional income we receive would just be gravy and there wouldn't be any lifestyle creep. We've actually gotten smarter with money as our incomes have increased. When I was younger I wanted and purchased a large house with great finishes, leases 2 brand new cars. Now we have a home that is decorated nicely but is not massive and/or expensive, drive used cars (only a few years old) and cook more at home then we used to (healthier and tastier)! So our actual spending has decreased as our income has risen over the past 3-5 years.

Not going to Vegas or Miami and blow thousands on bottle service / gambling. Also not partying every weekend at the club/bars like we did in our late 20's early 30's.
This is how you quantify 'sweet spot' - what you manage to save month-over-month.

A lot of people will continue to eat out: coffee, food, snacks, etc. It's amazing how much money you can save when you do something as simple as eat-in - everyday.

To quote Scotia Bank's Jingle: 'You're Richer Than You Think' - when you stop over consuming.
Jul 8, 2017
82 posts
105 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 9:50 am
Everybody is rich on here. This is one of the few places where someone making only 60K in their career (like me) is a total loser. Thankfully hubby makes more lol. Honestly, I got by just fine before I met him, and I would again if things didn't work out.

When we put too much stock into what people online say, it is easy to feel unsuccessful. I am old enough to know better, but even I get those "twinges" sometimes reading these threads.

Its because most here are not gonna say yeah I make 35k a year. Or anybody in that range.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29357 posts
2212 upvotes
Winnipeg
Walch1102 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 5:16 pm
They'd probably offer you less. Winnipeg is less desirable a place to live than Edmonton. You're getting a premium above what Edmonton would give you.
i worked in 4 provinces, i know the rates

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

lestat83