What salary hits the sweet spot?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 11:13 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1911 posts
668 upvotes
Alberta
I agree with other posters on here. Sweet spot is being able to handle all you day to day expenses, have funds for entertainment and dining out, have vacation fund for some decent vacations twice a year, having a car fund to replace vehicles all without having to go into debt, fully fund retirement. If you can cash flow all of that you have hit the sweet spot.
Banned
Mar 24, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
6 figures, 40 hours workweek and overtime must be paid accordingly and 4 day work week, every week, Friday, Saturday and Sunday off -4-6 weeks paid vacation and paid Mat/pat leave full not only EI benefits, benefits paid 100% by company and education paid by company 100% including master’s, bachelor’s and recreational courses and choose your own time to come to work and leave work <_____this right here is a dream but highly unlikely will happen :(
Dec 21, 2009
114 posts
59 upvotes
Oakville
AaronNetherson wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 12:08 am
6 figures, 40 hours workweek and overtime must be paid accordingly and 4 day work week, every week, Friday, Saturday and Sunday off -4-6 weeks paid vacation and paid Mat/pat leave full not only EI benefits, benefits paid 100% by company and education paid by company 100% including master’s, bachelor’s and recreational courses and choose your own time to come to work and leave work <_____this right here is a dream but highly unlikely will happen :(
I just want a Porsche and a 40 hour work week, with WFH on Fridays.
Dec 21, 2009
114 posts
59 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 4:17 pm
No such thing as a 40 hour work week for high income earners
There is... but depends on organization and how skilled you are.

Strict 40 hours likely not... but that aint a big deal.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9277 posts
1918 upvotes
I recently became a manager, I only work 35 hours a week. I leave the same time everyday. for the salary sweetspot during my careers, I started feeling a lot more comfortable once I crossed 60k a year, but I my wife is also full time so we have double income. I'm now just under 100k a year and its much more comfortable, but you also tend to spend more. before I would watch my dollars a lot closer, now I tend to just buy something if I want it.

I also find I worked a lot harder in my career before becoming a manager. now its a lot of meetings, lots of vendor lunches, conferences.
Jan 8, 2019
1 posts
Edmonton sucks. It's easily the worst place I have ever lived. I lived in Boston, Vancouver, Victoria and now Toronto. Anyone working in Edmonton moves to Toronto or any other "livable" cities will get serious paycut. Same case goes for Calgary too. I worked for major telecom (TELU*) and large US IT (IB*)company during my stay in Edmonton, I was easily making $100K+ in Edmonton. I sucked it up a few more yrs in that shithole just to save money. 2 yrs ago, I venture into Toronto. What a drastic change of life! I am truly living now. True, I got paycut almost 20%, but guess what, my condo rise over 70% in value in just 2 yrs. $200K easy money there. My edmonton condo actually lost value during my stay for 5 yrs. No wonder why home value goes down in Edmonton because NO ONE wants to live there. Besides, I worked my way up, now my salary is pretty much comparable to what I used to make in Edmonton. Edmonton is not cheap. Goods are actually cheaper in Toronto but evens out at the end because we pay HST. Now I am investing pre-construction condo in Toronto, man now finally I level with the city that deserves my respect. Edmonton sucks. You will never be wealthy in that shithole.

$90K is VERY comfortabe for single in Toronto. With my investment, I'll be hitting $150K easily. Plus real estate value goes up at least 7% every year. Don't move to Edmonton for higher salary, in the end you'll make more and be wealthier in Toronto. No comparison with shithole like Deadmonton
Dec 28, 2010
268 posts
26 upvotes
can confirm

I make almost 100k and work about 32 hours a week. As a single person in the GTA, this is the sweet spot with respect to quality of living * stress
mysticalinfluence wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2012 5:52 pm
Brah do you make 100K year too and wear Canada Goose? You might not be fat but your fattest douche bag on RFD.
kenchau66 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2012 5:56 pm
you mean "you're"
Sep 28, 2013
496 posts
136 upvotes
DoscaP54381 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:42 am
Edmonton sucks. It's easily the worst place I have ever lived. I lived in Boston, Vancouver, Victoria and now Toronto. Anyone working in Edmonton moves to Toronto or any other "livable" cities will get serious paycut. Same case goes for Calgary too. I worked for major telecom (TELU*) and large US IT (IB*)company during my stay in Edmonton, I was easily making $100K+ in Edmonton. I sucked it up a few more yrs in that shithole just to save money. 2 yrs ago, I venture into Toronto. What a drastic change of life! I am truly living now. True, I got paycut almost 20%, but guess what, my condo rise over 70% in value in just 2 yrs. $200K easy money there. My edmonton condo actually lost value during my stay for 5 yrs. No wonder why home value goes down in Edmonton because NO ONE wants to live there. Besides, I worked my way up, now my salary is pretty much comparable to what I used to make in Edmonton. Edmonton is not cheap. Goods are actually cheaper in Toronto but evens out at the end because we pay HST. Now I am investing pre-construction condo in Toronto, man now finally I level with the city that deserves my respect. Edmonton sucks. You will never be wealthy in that shithole.

$90K is VERY comfortabe for single in Toronto. With my investment, I'll be hitting $150K easily. Plus real estate value goes up at least 7% every year. Don't move to Edmonton for higher salary, in the end you'll make more and be wealthier in Toronto. No comparison with shithole like Deadmonton
Lived in Calgary for 2 years, worst city I've lived in - feels like it belongs to the states more than Canada, except for being much more expensive. And i lived in Peterborough for 4 years.
Apr 14, 2017
568 posts
195 upvotes
DT Calgary
DoscaP54381 wrote:

But would you have gotten to where you are without your job and savings from Edmonton?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4819 posts
809 upvotes
Mississauga
DoscaP54381 wrote:

Can you explain why Edmonton sucks.... Instead of just simply stating that repeatedly...
Apr 14, 2017
568 posts
195 upvotes
DT Calgary
Ducky wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:10 pm
Can you explain why Edmonton sucks.... Instead of just simply stating that repeatedly...
Because property values don't increase by 35% per year.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

gulmoh, lestat83