• Jan 16th, 2019 11:13 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4823 posts
819 upvotes
Mississauga
FreshCo wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:12 pm
Because property values don't increase by 35% per year.
there must be more reasons to hate a city besides real estate...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5899 posts
3089 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ducky wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:10 pm
Can you explain why Edmonton sucks.... Instead of just simply stating that repeatedly...
Most people I know who've lived there didn't like it and call it Deadmonton. I'm not sure exactly why (haven't lived there myself). On the other hand, most people I know that have ever lived in Calgary really enjoyed it and said it was a fun town.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3268 posts
660 upvotes
Canada
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:13 am
Most people I know who've lived there didn't like it and call it Deadmonton. I'm not sure exactly why (haven't lived there myself). On the other hand, most people I know that have ever lived in Calgary really enjoyed it and said it was a fun town.
smaller cities are always more fun and better compared to bigger cities. I myself live in Regina and have previously lived in Toronto, Calgary, & Montreal and i would choose Regina over any of those cities. Might choose Calgary if i really had to if my life depended on it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9039 posts
940 upvotes
badsha wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:57 am
smaller cities are always more fun and better compared to bigger cities. I myself live in Regina and have previously lived in Toronto, Calgary, & Montreal and i would choose Regina over any of those cities. Might choose Calgary if i really had to if my life depended on it.
what makes small cities more fun?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2047 posts
143 upvotes
Welp i take home $3400 monthly and live comfortably in Toronto. I own my condo and car - recently engaged. I grew up pretty poor so it surprises me when people say you can't live in the GTA unless you make 6 figures.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5899 posts
3089 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
badsha wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:57 am
I'm from Victoria (smaller city) and would not describe it as more fun.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5899 posts
3089 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Wilmega wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:33 pm
Welp i take home $3400 monthly and live comfortably in Toronto. I own my condo and car - recently engaged. I grew up pretty poor so it surprises me when people say you can't live in the GTA unless you make 6 figures.
When did you buy? Was it more affordable then? I take home about $3,800/month, and would not feel comfortable living in Toronto and buying a place on what I make. Thankfully my husband makes more than me and we live in affordable Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3268 posts
660 upvotes
Canada
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:10 pm
what makes small cities more fun?
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:55 pm
I'm from Victoria (smaller city) and would not describe it as more fun.
it depends what you are into. Its so much easier getting around the city and the life is just much more convenient in general. I am able to get involved in extra curricular activities, socialize with my friends and family after work and still have weekends to myself for whatever i want to do. You can't buy this extra time in bigger cities.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2047 posts
143 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:57 pm
When did you buy? Was it more affordable then? I take home about $3,800/month, and would not feel comfortable living in Toronto and buying a place on what I make. Thankfully my husband makes more than me and we live in affordable Ottawa.
I bought in 2015 for $266k and the same area condos are now about $380-400k. My mortgage+maintenance is only $1200/month
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9039 posts
940 upvotes
badsha wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:05 pm
it depends what you are into. Its so much easier getting around the city and the life is just much more convenient in general. I am able to get involved in extra curricular activities, socialize with my friends and family after work and still have weekends to myself for whatever i want to do. You can't buy this extra time in bigger cities.
Well it sounds more like a distance to interests I guess. You are right, you may be closer to friends/relatives and the outdoors away from the city.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5899 posts
3089 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
badsha wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:05 pm
It isn't easier getting around Victoria if you don't have a car. Public transit is much better here in Ottawa. And, if you do drive, traffic is way worse in Victoria because there is usually only one route to where you are going. Here in Ottawa, there are several alternate choices to get where you want to be if one route is jammed. Current commute times in Victoria are horrendous unless you live absolutely in the core (and that costs a fortune - even the outskirts of Victoria are extremely overpriced). I find there is a lot more to do here than my hometown (Victoria). I would not say it is more convenient in small cities based upon my experience. It is more convenient in well planned cities, not necessarily smaller cities. I honestly don't see how any of the things you have listed are better based on being in a small city.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5899 posts
3089 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Wilmega wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:07 pm
I bought in 2015 for $266k and the same area condos are now about $380-400k. My mortgage+maintenance is only $1200/month
So your comments aren't really relevant to today's prices and what people need to earn now.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2047 posts
143 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:13 pm
So your comments aren't really relevant to today's prices and what people need to earn now.
Maybe, but i was earning about $15k less in 2015 too
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3268 posts
660 upvotes
Canada
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:11 pm
It isn't easier getting around Victoria if you don't have a car. Public transit is much better here in Ottawa. And, if you do drive, traffic is way worse in Victoria because there is usually only one route to where you are going. Here in Ottawa, there are several alternate choices to get where you want to be if one route is jammed. Current commute times in Victoria are horrendous unless you live absolutely in the core (and that costs a fortune - even the outskirts of Victoria are extremely overpriced). I find there is a lot more to do here than my hometown (Victoria). I would not say it is more convenient in small cities based upon my experience. It is more convenient in well planned cities, not necessarily smaller cities. I honestly don't see how any of the things you have listed are better based on being in a small city.
Time is a commodity. You cannot buy time. With time, you can buy everything else that you can't buy with money.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5899 posts
3089 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
badsha wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:07 pm
Time is a commodity. You cannot buy time. With time, you can buy everything else that you can't buy with money.
I spend a lot less time commuting here in Ottawa (and I live over 20KM from work, than I did in Victoria (at 14KM from work). Not all small cities are convenient, and not all big cities are bad.