Automotive

At what salary til you should invest into a new car?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2015 10:32 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 7, 2007
856 posts
350 upvotes
bomiheko wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 11:53 pm
It is true and its really sad when you think about it. My BMW really brought me into a different group of people. During university or even high school, there was always a class system and these people kept to themselves with the occasional hanging out with the other classes. My BMW was able to connect me with the upper classes, which in turn got me connections with their families and friends. This gave me the supplies to start my own import/export businesses and the startup money. They even gave me some insider tips on companies when I told them I was also into stocks, which is how I financed my car.
Really? Everyone and their grandma has a BMW.

Not hating on BMWs because I drive one. Not for the prestige like you, but because its a relatively cheap fast car (modded 335) that has enough luxuries for me. Maintainance is not an issue for me post warranty because I get my parts at cost and pay my friend who is a licensed mechanic $30 per hour cash.
Dec 24, 2009
656 posts
274 upvotes
raspeed wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 12:55 pm
I don't hate people who drive a leased 3-series, I just fail to see the point that is all. Anyone who is wealthy isn't going to give your 3-series a second glance, nor is any real "car guy". The only person you might impress is your grandma who grew up driving Oldsmobiles. To each their own but there are better ways to "ball on a budget", so whatever prize you won, enjoy. :)
The point is that it is the best car in it's segment. How else do you explain its success? As you say the badge is not even impressive so there must be something there. Lol car guys is the reason the 335i exists and sells so well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6394 posts
2220 upvotes
Canada
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 1:12 pm
The point is that it is the best car in it's segment. How else do you explain its success? As you say the badge is not even impressive so there must be something there. Lol car guys is the reason the 335i exists and sells so well.
Zero Hope's last sentence above kind of sums it all up ...
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1272 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
vonblock wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 10:09 am
Correct me but your Asian right ?

I don't think it work like that for Caucasian.

I know a lot of millionaire (all white), they all drive piece of crap cars for daily driving (some also have sport car for fun).
Yep, Asian. They all care about money. My BMW barely got into the crowd. They drive supercars as dailies. They kept me around as I was able to impress personality wise. And they gave me a lot of tips and stuff.

I, too had a modded bmw 335. I also picked this car because it was the best drivers car in the segment. It was fun driving this car and I was at least able to keep up with the supercars either on track or road. I take it to the same shop they go to for maintenance. Super cheap and took good care of my car. $100 for motul oil, yes please. Tbh, despite what people say about 335, I never had a problem except selenoids, and mine is modded with JB4, HPS intercooler, afe intake, er chargepipe with hks bov, and arqray exhaust. I was lucky, got most of these parts for free or discounted from a guy who upgraded to R8. Otherwise, wouldn't bother with the intake, had bms dci before.

And I don't mean to come off as snobby or trying to convince people to do things my way. I just want to share my experience and what I did to get to where I am. I apologize if I come off as that way.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
4957 posts
4138 upvotes
Montreal
bomiheko wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 2:11 pm
Yep, Asian. They all care about money. My BMW barely got into the crowd. They drive supercars as dailies. They kept me around as I was able to impress personality wise. And they gave me a lot of tips and stuff.

I, too had a modded bmw 335. I also picked this car because it was the best drivers car in the segment. It was fun driving this car and I was at least able to keep up with the supercars either on track or road. I take it to the same shop they go to for maintenance. Super cheap and took good care of my car. $100 for motul oil, yes please. Tbh, despite what people say about 335, I never had a problem except selenoids, and mine is modded with JB4, HPS intercooler, afe intake, er chargepipe with hks bov, and arqray exhaust. I was lucky, got most of these parts for free or discounted from a guy who upgraded to R8. Otherwise, wouldn't bother with the intake, had bms dci before.

And I don't mean to come off as snobby or trying to convince people to do things my way. I just want to share my experience and what I did to get to where I am. I apologize if I come off as that way.
You don't come off as snobby, you come off as someone with an inferiority complex. Like the poster above you said, Caucasians wouldn't even give you a second look with a 3 series BMW. Why anyone would think this impresses people baffles me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5250 posts
1127 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
You also have the very cheap Asians who will have a $3m house but drive a $5000 rusted Corolla leaking oil.

I also have a 335, but it was the special edition hardtop convertible. For that price segment it was the overall best driving experience and only car with folding hardtop. The only similar thing I can think of buying in that range is a S5 or Boxster, but I hate the soft tops and only 2 seats for Boxster.
bomiheko wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 2:11 pm

Consultant
- Oilfield Services Operations & Safety - Digital Marketing - Finance - Accounting -
Serving Western Canada since 2013

To network, or for my website and personal blog, shoot me a message.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5250 posts
1127 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
nasa25 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 10:42 am
I'm actually considering acquiring a BMW. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the badge for prestige?
You'll get more prestige by for what a new BMW costs, buy an used Porsche or Maserati.
bomiheko wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 11:53 pm
It is true and its really sad when you think about it. My BMW really brought me into a different group of people. During university or even high school, there was always a class system and these people kept to themselves with the occasional hanging out with the other classes. My BMW was able to connect me with the upper classes, which in turn got me connections with their families and friends. This gave me the supplies to start my own import/export businesses and the startup money. They even gave me some insider tips on companies when I told them I was also into stocks, which is how I financed my car.
I had a similar experience working at overqualified jobs. Some of the other guys who previously made good money then expected me to make a high income previously, and then asked if I wanted to work at x outfit.
Consultant
- Oilfield Services Operations & Safety - Digital Marketing - Finance - Accounting -
Serving Western Canada since 2013

To network, or for my website and personal blog, shoot me a message.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1272 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
ottofly wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 3:13 pm
You don't come off as snobby, you come off as someone with an inferiority complex. Like the poster above you said, Caucasians wouldn't even give you a second look with a 3 series BMW. Why anyone would think this impresses people baffles me.
That's not very nice. And I wasn't trying to impress anyone, just showing why some people buy cars for prestige as well. Caucasians wouldn't even deal unless you had some background. I had to develop my background in order to get in the business world. The easiest way for me to do that is get in with the Asians and their contacts in Asia. Walmart, Target, Home Outfitters, they don't deal with a 20 year old guy working behind a computer. Once they saw I had connections with business owners and factories in Asia, that's when the deals starts coming in. I was dealing with two different cultures, you have to adapt to each one. Asian people won't deal with people lower than their status, if they saw you with a beat up corolla, they just think you're asking for a hand out. Yes, my car isn't that prestige or good compared to what these people drive, but at least in their minds, I didn't look like someone who wanted a hand out. For Asians, having a $100k+ car impresses them. Go travel to China, all they talk about is their successes and how much money they make. Sure, they may be compensating, but at least they don't have to worry about finances. Caucasians do the same too, their dinner galas and dance balls are all just for telling people how much they make and what they do. This is how they make connections at these social events.

Sure you may see me as someone with inferiority complex, but I rather live comfortably in life than live paycheck to paycheck. I don't want to always have to worry if my job is gonna get laid off or not. There was one thing my mentor said that made me want to change for the better. Why help someone build their dreams, when you can build yours. When you work for someone, you're helping them build their company and their dreams.

I'm done contributing, this is obvious a sensitive topic for some of you, so I'll stop right here.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1272 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
FirstGear wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 3:15 pm
You also have the very cheap Asians who will have a $3m house but drive a $5000 rusted Corolla leaking oil.

I also have a 335, but it was the special edition hardtop convertible. For that price segment it was the overall best driving experience and only car with folding hardtop. The only similar thing I can think of buying in that range is a S5 or Boxster, but I hate the soft tops and only 2 seats for Boxster.
Yeah, my grandpa is like this too.
Jul 6, 2008
585 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Relax my bimmer bros, haters gotta hate and ainters gotta aint. In the end, Canada will become Chinanda, just look at hongcouver. You can flip a house in Toronto for a lot $$$, in comparison to the cost savings of buying used vs new car. Almost abysmal.
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
292 upvotes
A car isn't an investment. I agree. It is the worst investment, IMO.

At any salary you can buy a brand new car as long as you have enough money saved for cash purchase or if you can afford "whatever" the monthly payment is.

For the price of a boring and slow BMW 335i, I could think of tons of cars better and faster than slow BMW 335i

Accord V6 - almost as fast as 335i when it is $20K cheaper, smart buy over 335i

Chevy SS - within same price range but much faster will easily smoke that slow 335i

Benz CLA45 AMG - fastest and it's BENZ

There's nothing impressive about 335i unless of course you are comparing it to Corolla in acceleration :D
May 1, 2012
124 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spyd3r wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 5:20 pm
Chevy SS - within same price range but much faster will easily smoke that slow 335i
Not sold in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8371 posts
924 upvotes
bomiheko wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 3:32 pm
That's not very nice. And I wasn't trying to impress anyone, just showing why some people buy cars for prestige as well. Caucasians wouldn't even deal unless you had some background. I had to develop my background in order to get in the business world. The easiest way for me to do that is get in with the Asians and their contacts in Asia. Walmart, Target, Home Outfitters, they don't deal with a 20 year old guy working behind a computer. Once they saw I had connections with business owners and factories in Asia, that's when the deals starts coming in. I was dealing with two different cultures, you have to adapt to each one. Asian people won't deal with people lower than their status, if they saw you with a beat up corolla, they just think you're asking for a hand out. Yes, my car isn't that prestige or good compared to what these people drive, but at least in their minds, I didn't look like someone who wanted a hand out. For Asians, having a $100k+ car impresses them. Go travel to China, all they talk about is their successes and how much money they make. Sure, they may be compensating, but at least they don't have to worry about finances. Caucasians do the same too, their dinner galas and dance balls are all just for telling people how much they make and what they do. This is how they make connections at these social events.

Sure you may see me as someone with inferiority complex, but I rather live comfortably in life than live paycheck to paycheck. I don't want to always have to worry if my job is gonna get laid off or not. There was one thing my mentor said that made me want to change for the better. Why help someone build their dreams, when you can build yours. When you work for someone, you're helping them build their company and their dreams.

I'm done contributing, this is obvious a sensitive topic for some of you, so I'll stop right here.
So what sorts business exactly? Imports?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6394 posts
2220 upvotes
Canada
FirstGear wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 3:15 pm
But is it an AE86?
Jul 7, 2007
856 posts
350 upvotes
Spyd3r wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 5:20 pm
For the price of a boring and slow BMW 335i, I could think of tons of cars better and faster than slow BMW 335i

Accord V6 - almost as fast as 335i when it is $20K cheaper, smart buy over 335i

Benz CLA45 AMG - fastest and it's BENZ

There's nothing impressive about 335i unless of course you are comparing it to Corolla in acceleration :D
Accord V6 = eww FWD...even if it had 500hp, i would never drive a FWD car).
CLA45 AMG = 4 banger (sounds like a honda civic fart can), 4 doors (no thx wheres the 2 door version), AWD only and no RWD???, side profile looks like dog taking a poop... Car looks pathetic by Benz standards