Automotive

At what salary til you should invest into a new car?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2015 10:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1272 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
spike1128 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 6:31 pm
So what sorts business exactly? Imports?
Wide variety of things, mostly stuff you see at Walmart, target, big box stores. Those no brand name furniture, cutlery, stationary, hardware stuff, etc. Pretty much anything lol. Competition is fierce, not making as much as before, margins are too low and Walmart keeps low balling, but they have the biggest purchasing power and volume. I think Walmart also formed their own team that directly negotiates with the factories, bypassing the middleman. I may pull out and invest in other businesses.

Yeah, what otterfly said. Take everything with a grain of salt. I could be lying, could be true. Who knows. But the techniques I said helped for me and some others as well. So who knows. Internet is a big place full of knowledge.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4926 posts
4058 upvotes
Montreal
spike1128 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 6:31 pm
So what sorts business exactly? Imports?
Why does it matter and why would you believe anything that is posted on this site? Pretty easy to post unverifiable facts on the internet usually to make up for inferiority complex in the real world and to make you feel better about yourself trying to impress strangers on an online forum. Sure most everyone on RFD...

has a business..

makes 100K + a year...

owns property/condo..

is a white collar professional...

has at least one prof degree...

drives an expensive car...

has a large social circle...

have moved out of parents house age 19...

is dating multiple girls, or has wife and kids...

and has done all of the above with no help from parents obviously.

Of course, reality is probably a 100% chance that at least one of the above if not all is complete BS.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6386 posts
2198 upvotes
Canada
ottofly wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 7:03 pm
You messed that one up, change your "OR" to an "AND".
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
292 upvotes
Zero Hope wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 6:49 pm
Accord V6 = eww FWD...even if it had 500hp, i would never drive a FWD car).
CLA45 AMG = 4 banger (sounds like a honda civic fart can), 4 doors (no thx wheres the 2 door version), AWD only and no RWD???, side profile looks like dog taking a poop... Car looks pathetic by Benz standards
lolz

I wouldn't spend an extra $20K for a BMW 335i that's as fast as "FWD" Accord V6.

CLA45 AMG has the best 4 cylinder on the market, especially the punch at mid-rpms is brutal and it always sounds raw and loud. I love this car for it's furious sound that is ever present. I love how the exhaust emits that deep satisfying sound, a sound that assures you have made awesome life decisions. I am glad that the power goes to all 4 wheels through 4-matic AWD system.

I beg to differ but this Benz looks like a sexy beast from front, rear and side views. This Benz is sleek, clean, attractive and most of all interesting and will put a big smile on my face while smoking all the slow BMW 335i's :D
Deal Addict
May 30, 2005
1689 posts
30 upvotes
I think we are way off topic :D but anyhow...
ottofly wrote:
Why does it matter and why would you believe anything that is posted on this site? Pretty easy to post unverifiable facts on the internet usually to make up for inferiority complex in the real world and to make you feel better about yourself trying to impress strangers on an online forum. Sure most everyone on RFD...

has a business..
If you count self-employ than yes a lot of people run their own businesses.
ottofly wrote:
makes 100K + a year...
I won't say "most everyone on RFD make $100K+ a year" but it is not really that uncommon. Even government employees who made it to the sunshine list earn $100K, for instance.
ottofly wrote:
owns property/condo..
If you were born in the 60~70's (Gen. X?) and bought a property before the housing bubble it is doable. Not now I supposed. You just missed your boat...
ottofly wrote:
is a white collar professional...

has at least one prof degree...
Folks like this are dime in a dozen.
ottofly wrote:
drives an expensive car...
Define expensive.
ottofly wrote:
has a large social circle...
Some do.
ottofly wrote:
have moved out of parents house age 19...
Might be you are right.
ottofly wrote:
Don't know about dating multiple girls (at least I haven't) but quite a few of my friends got knock-up early.
ottofly wrote:
and has done all of the above with no help from parents obviously.
Again, if you were born at the right time (Gen. X'er)...
ottofly wrote:
Of course, reality is probably a 100% chance that at least one of the above if not all is complete BS.
That could be since this is just an internet forum w/ ambiguity but I have seen someone who fit in more than one of these. These are not completely BS.
Spyd3r wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 9:25 pm
lolz

I wouldn't spend an extra $20K for a BMW 335i that's as fast as "FWD" Accord V6.
You probably have heard terms like "weight transfer" and "torque steer". Enough said. I will take RWD and AWD before FWD any day of the week esp. for something which put 200HP+ on the road even w/ a limited slipped deferential. And straight line acceleration is not the be all end all performance for cars. Things like handling, etc. are also important yardsticks. If you only care about straight line acceleration cars like Mazda Miata, base Cayman or Boxster, FRS, etc. should not exist because they are "slower" than a minivan. Of course, these may not matter too much for daily commute I supposed.

Having said all these... if I were to get an bimmer today it will be a M235i or a second hand E46 M3.
Spyd3r wrote:
CLA45 AMG has the best 4 cylinder on the market, especially the punch at mid-rpms is brutal and it always sounds raw and loud. I love this car for it's furious sound that is ever present. I love how the exhaust emits that deep satisfying sound, a sound that assures you have made awesome life decisions. I am glad that the power goes to all 4 wheels through 4-matic AWD system.
Putting the badges and prestige aside, I will wait until the German made 2016 Ford Focus RS before I made the judgement about the performance of the CLA AMG 4 banger :D Not to mention I have read somewhere that the AWD on the CLA45 AMG is front wheels bias. I don't know if this is the case of not (may be I have mixed this up w/ some other cars, etc).
Spyd3r wrote:
I beg to differ but this Benz looks like a sexy beast from front, rear and side views. This Benz is sleek, clean, attractive and most of all interesting and will put a big smile on my face while smoking all the slow BMW 335i's :D
To be honest I think most BMWs and Mercedes currently available look "meh"... :P
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7266 posts
4221 upvotes
What car can you afford on a $90k salary?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2015
1032 posts
223 upvotes
Fort Mac, AB/Lambton…
Spyd3r wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 5:20 pm
For the price of a boring and slow BMW 335i, I could think of tons of cars better and faster than slow BMW 335i

Accord V6 - almost as fast as 335i when it is $20K cheaper, smart buy over 335i
I'm guessing you haven't driven either. 335 will blow away any non-modded Accord, especially at speed. Smoother ride, better handling. The Accord is good bang for the buck, no doubt, but it doesn't compare to a 335 in sportiness. Not even close. I've topped out my 335 at 240, and it was still easy to drive at that speed.

I have X drive too. Can't really compare to RWD for summer time driving. But, boy, is it fun in the winter.
Nov 26, 2013
498 posts
306 upvotes
Winnipeg
justaskthescientician wrote:
Jun 13th, 2015 2:41 am
I'm guessing you haven't driven either. 335 will blow away any non-modded Accord, especially at speed. Smoother ride, better handling. The Accord is good bang for the buck, no doubt, but it doesn't compare to a 335 in sportiness. Not even close. I've topped out my 335 at 240, and it was still easy to drive at that speed.

I have X drive too. Can't really compare to RWD for summer time driving. But, boy, is it fun in the winter.
Not sure why anyone would compare Honda and BMW in the first place.
Jul 7, 2007
844 posts
348 upvotes
Spyd3r wrote:
lolz

Okay sure buddy the stock FWD Accord V6 is as fast as a stock 335i whatever you say.

Your facts are diluted and your opinions are even more so when you go on and say how the fart-can 4 banger sounds great and how the stubby dog pooping side profile looks sexy.

So do you have a CLA45 AMG? If so, you paid 60k for: 4 banger fart can, unbalanced weight distribution, front wheel biased AWD system. But wait it goes fast in a straight in right? Sorry but there are tons of cars faster in a straight line than a CLA45 AMG that a way cheaper.
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
292 upvotes
justaskthescientician wrote:
Jun 13th, 2015 2:41 am

Benz CLA45 AMG will always beat BMW 335i x drive in acceleration and there's nothing you can do about it but look at big smiley faces of Benz drivers ... lolz
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8329 posts
911 upvotes
ReaperEXE wrote:
Jun 13th, 2015 11:33 am
Not sure why anyone would compare Honda and BMW in the first place.
Cause v6 accord is bang for the buck compared to German cars with same price. A reviewer did a comparison with German sport sedans (forgot what), then pull in a V6 accord. Sure the drive feel not same, but $/fun ratio, the accord was comparable if not better.

No one buys a 335, buys a condo/house, raise kids all at the same time even on a 100k salary without accessing bank of mom and dad.
Jul 7, 2007
844 posts
348 upvotes
Spyd3r wrote:
Jun 13th, 2015 12:39 pm
Benz CLA45 AMG will always beat BMW 335i x drive in acceleration and there's nothing you can do about it but look at big smiley faces of Benz drivers ... lolz
There are a ton of cars faster than a 335i (either stock or modded) on the road which are way cheaper than a 335i.

Your beloved CLA45 AMG is FAR away from being the 0-xxx straight line acceleration king for under $60k.
Jul 7, 2007
844 posts
348 upvotes
spike1128 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2015 12:43 pm
Cause v6 accord is bang for the buck compared to German cars with same price. A reviewer did a comparison with German sport sedans (forgot what), then pull in a V6 accord. Sure the drive feel not same, but $/fun ratio, the accord was comparable if not better.

No one buys a 335, buys a condo/house, raise kids all at the same time even on a 100k salary without accessing bank of mom and dad.
The best bang for the buck is neither a 335i or accord V6. There are way better value cars out there.
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
292 upvotes
Zero Hope wrote:
Jun 13th, 2015 12:30 pm
Okay sure buddy the stock FWD Accord V6 is as fast as a stock 335i whatever you say.

Your facts are diluted and your opinions are even more so when you go on and say how the fart-can 4 banger sounds great and how the stubby dog pooping side profile looks sexy.

So do you have a CLA45 AMG? If so, you paid 60k for: 4 banger fart can, unbalanced weight distribution, front wheel biased AWD system. But wait it goes fast in a straight in right? Sorry but there are tons of cars faster in a straight line than a CLA45 AMG that a way cheaper.
Name the tons of cars faster than CLA45 AMG that are way cheaper than CLA45 AMG.

2014 CLA45 AMG's base price was $49,800.

It hits 60 mph in 4.2 seconds. See the link below:

http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/cla45-amg