None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1334 posts
41 upvotes
Markham

What SDM GC can be used for?

I read a post from Shoppers facebook and some customer service rep told him he can only use Shoppers Drug Mart gift card to buy "Shoppers product", which means Life brand or brand that is created by Shoppers Drug Mart. Is it true? I had purchased some SDM gift cards and scared about this comment...
9 replies
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
123 upvotes
Kitchener
I would assume you can buy anything in shoppers
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8028 posts
1668 upvotes
Any product, not at the post office, prob not gift cards(some stores will allow)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1334 posts
41 upvotes
Markham
I'm wondering what I can do if this happens to me...

How about lotto tickets?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
jrice wrote:
Dec 8th, 2013 9:44 pm

How about lotto tickets?
What did they say when you asked in store?
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Sep 20, 2010
74 posts
7 upvotes
No post office, lotto, cigarettes, transit tickets/passes, or giftcards and other prepaid products.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12652 posts
1979 upvotes
City of Vancouver
http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/Gift_Cards.aspx

When anyone buys a SDM gift card, do they see any restrictions printed anywhere on the gift card? On the Facebook post, the customer wrote that the employee said it was a verbal policy. I would advise anyone who encounters surprising restrictions to complain through their website and/or through 1800SHOPPER and try to get points given to you for the trouble that you've gone through. Also, call the govt. consumer protection agency, and maybe your local consumer tv reporter.

This summer, I used a SDM gift card to buy about $100 worth of transit tickets.

This summer, a SDM store manager told me that I wasn't allowed to use two free product coupons, even though the coupon said, "limit one coupon per product." I complained to SDM via their website (not Facebook), sent them a photo of the coupon as per their request, and got credited something like 4000 points.

Note: gift card legislation has been a provincial matter, but the federal govt has decided to enact gift card legislation so that it covers all of Canada.
Jul 31, 2008
225 posts
52 upvotes
jrice wrote:
Dec 8th, 2013 9:44 pm

How about lotto tickets?
If you're buying "standard" items + add lotto/transit tickets/other gift cards as part of a "single" transaction - there are stores that will let you go.

Some stores (just some) - one can buy Stamps (Canadian 10 pak - don't be afraid to ask) at the front cash.

There's a thread on what's on sale SDM (ontario) this current week:

sdm-1-88-ruffles-cheetos-lays-0-88-choc ... a-1419988/

Hope this helps.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1318 posts
435 upvotes
Canada
Becks wrote:
Dec 9th, 2013 3:13 am
Note: gift card legislation has been a provincial matter, but the federal govt has decided to enact gift card legislation so that it covers all of Canada.
That is an incorrect interpretation of the recent announcement - the feds are now regulating gift cards issued by banks (which are under federal jurisdiction).
Any other gift cards you get (mall, food, clothing, etc) are still covered by your provincial legislation (as territories do not have GC laws).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1334 posts
41 upvotes
Markham
Shoppers Drug Mart provided a feedback regarding the problem:

"SDM gift cards can be used to purchase all items in store excluding other gift cards. Lottery may be purchased using a SDM gift card. We would like to follow up with the management at the store directly to ensure they are following the correct procedures."