• Dec 4th, 2017 6:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 24, 2013
502 posts
1000 upvotes
Mississauga

What is Shopify?

I am planning on selling clothes online and thinking of selling on Amazon, but someone told me about Shopify and i am not sure what is better, can you please guide before i start?
Thank you.
6 replies
Aug 16, 2011
805 posts
216 upvotes
Kitchener
shopify isn't anything like amazon, it's for building ecommerce websites. If you want a marketplace then use Amazon, if you want a standalone website then consider shopify.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2543 posts
1138 upvotes
Calgaryish
hennamomin wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 10:51 am
I am planning on selling clothes online and thinking of selling on Amazon, but someone told me about Shopify and i am not sure what is better, can you please guide before i start?
Thank you.
The problem with selling clothes through Amazon or your own site is that you have to have a strategy to get them noticed. People aren't going to seek out something generic on Amazon (there are millions of choices) and the same goes for having your own site.

You need a clever strategy to drive traffic and create buzz.

*If* you have a way to generate buzz, then selling on your own site (using a platform like Shopify) may make you more money. Amazon fees for clothing are 15% + various other selling fees. Expect to pay about 20% of the retail price to them, plus the cost of shipping your items to their fulfillment centers so you can take advantage of their free shipping offers.

Shopify transaction fees are around 3 or 4%, although you'll have to factor in shipping as well. And shipping in Canada is expensive.

OH... three other thoughts:

1. To sell clothing on Amazon, you will require approval. You can't just simply set up an account and sell. This is to prevent a flood of fakes and unauthorized name brand resellers.
2. If you're selling online, you *need* to be selling to the USA. That means selling on amazon.com or setting up your Shopify account in USD. Use a cross-border shipping service like chit chat express to ship using the US Postal Service from Canada if you're shipping yourself, or you wont be able to afford shipping (a package that costs $15 to ship from Canada costs $4 through USPS).
3. Be wary of amazon's return policy. They'll basically take back anything from anyone, no questions asked, and issue immediate refunds.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2013
502 posts
1000 upvotes
Mississauga
retrothing wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 11:40 am
The problem with selling clothes through Amazon or your own site is that you have to have a strategy to get them noticed. People aren't going to seek out something generic on Amazon (there are millions of choices) and the same goes for having your own site.

You need a clever strategy to drive traffic and create buzz.

*If* you have a way to generate buzz, then selling on your own site (using a platform like Shopify) may make you more money. Amazon fees for clothing are 15% + various other selling fees. Expect to pay about 20% of the retail price to them, plus the cost of shipping your items to their fulfillment centers so you can take advantage of their free shipping offers.

Shopify transaction fees are around 3 or 4%, although you'll have to factor in shipping as well. And shipping in Canada is expensive.

OH... three other thoughts:

1. To sell clothing on Amazon, you will require approval. You can't just simply set up an account and sell. This is to prevent a flood of fakes and unauthorized name brand resellers.
2. If you're selling online, you *need* to be selling to the USA. That means selling on amazon.com or setting up your Shopify account in USD. Use a cross-border shipping service like chit chat express to ship using the US Postal Service from Canada if you're shipping yourself, or you wont be able to afford shipping (a package that costs $15 to ship from Canada costs $4 through USPS).
3. Be wary of amazon's return policy. They'll basically take back anything from anyone, no questions asked, and issue immediate refunds.
Thank you so much for detail answer, i am considering facebook groups too, as still working before i start.
Oct 22, 2001
230 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
I don't sell clothing online anymore, but I used to a long, long time ago. If I were to start today, I'd look into Etsy or eBay. And built up your Pinterest social media account.

Amazon isn't bad but it's hard to get noticed and shoppers prefer if you're using FBA (for the free Prime shipping).
Jun 18, 2017
214 posts
66 upvotes
Vancouver
Shopify is pretty good for small product bases but I find that they start to peter out once your catalogue grows above a certain point, or if you have special needs for complex categorization or product variation. They also charge a monthly, and get part of your processing fees as well, so it might be better for an already running business to transition to instead of one just starting out.

If you've got your geek-hat on WooCommerce is a free ecommerce plugin that works with WordPress (also free), but takes a bit more setup/management than Shopify does, but is ultimately also capable of doing more with the right tweaking. You also have to set up your own payment gateway/payment processor unless you're only doing PayPal payments.

Clothing on Amazon is cut-throat as all heck, especially on commodity items (which I assume you aren't doing). The phrase "race to the bottom" comes up a lot, and even if you have a unique offering that's popular what'll often happen is your design is stolen/duplicated by a chinese factory somewhere and they take over your product listing. Etsy is way better for that, though obviously the audience is smaller, but also self-selecting somewhat to be more likely to buy from you.
That's my name...
[OP]
Jun 24, 2013
502 posts
1000 upvotes
Mississauga
PuddinTame wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 2:54 pm
Shopify is pretty good for small product bases but I find that they start to peter out once your catalogue grows above a certain point, or if you have special needs for complex categorization or product variation. They also charge a monthly, and get part of your processing fees as well, so it might be better for an already running business to transition to instead of one just starting out.

If you've got your geek-hat on WooCommerce is a free ecommerce plugin that works with WordPress (also free), but takes a bit more setup/management than Shopify does, but is ultimately also capable of doing more with the right tweaking. You also have to set up your own payment gateway/payment processor unless you're only doing PayPal payments.

Clothing on Amazon is cut-throat as all heck, especially on commodity items (which I assume you aren't doing). The phrase "race to the bottom" comes up a lot, and even if you have a unique offering that's popular what'll often happen is your design is stolen/duplicated by a chinese factory somewhere and they take over your product listing. Etsy is way better for that, though obviously the audience is smaller, but also self-selecting somewhat to be more likely to buy from you.
Thank you for your guidance, all this means a lot for a newbie like me in business.