Off Topic

What should governments do to prepare for the technological automation of human jobs?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2018 10:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5578 posts
938 upvotes
Toronto
"What should governments do to prepare for the technological automation of human jobs?"

AI will come.......

and the government will do nothing, because it can do nothing.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2608 posts
293 upvotes
Anyone who is a proponent of a Universal Income based on the looming threat of automation killing all of our jobs, should also be fervently against all immigration. If we are all about to lose our jobs and live off the robots' elbow grease, then we don't need any new people here (the previous argument for immigration being good for economic growth, which will no longer be a thing).
Jun 5, 2017
856 posts
121 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
personally i think that A.I. should replace menial jobs that humans do so that we can allocate humans to more complex, sophisticated jobs that focus more on future based jobs. its up so our society to create those jobs.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2608 posts
293 upvotes
brandonly wrote: personally i think that A.I. should replace menial jobs that humans do so that we can allocate humans to more complex, sophisticated jobs that focus more on future based jobs. its up so our society to create those jobs.
I think AI should replace the jobs that the market decides they will replace, in the time frame that the market dictates, so human capital can have natural time to react and reallocate. As the world overindulges in robots and AI, they will find the limitations of it pretty quick. Didn't Elon Musk figure that out in a hurry, how he invested too much of the Tesla assembly process in robots and not enough in human capital? Now he is scrambling to hire people in order to keep up with the manufacturing goals.

As long as the free market is allowed to prosper and dictate the direction of the economy, there shouldn't be any massive loss of employment (only minimal losses here and there, which are then easier to re-allocate). Government is the only entity that could **** this one up, as with just about everything else in the world when it decides to pick winners and losers.
Apr 18, 2018
2 posts
Ottawa
Until the moment when automation will take away many professions is still far away. But it needs to be solved over time and looking at the statistics and the dynamics of developments in general.
Jun 3, 2012
598 posts
240 upvotes
Scarborough
I think people are over-stating the negative impacts of automation/AI for several reasons:

-Humans will still be needed for most tasks; customer service; analytical work; manufacturing tasks that only humans can do

-Automation/AI will open up job opportunities themselves both within tech fields as well as other areas we probably can not even consider at the moment

-in theory, the productivity gains that will arise out of technological improvement will boost wages and living standards

-the productivity gains will be awesome. With automated vehicles, you'll no longer need to waste time and money parking your car. People will be able to move around faster rather than having to wait for the bus/train to arrive. We'll be able to predict and avoid traffic jams better. Disabled people will have more convenient lives and could see their employment rates improve.

-we have 5 million baby boomers in Canada set to retire by the 2030s. Based on our current demographic trends, we won't replace them 1 for 1 unless we increase immigration even more. So, we could simply see a bunch of attrition in the labour market which wouldn't really result in net job losses.

-People tend to over-estimate the rate of technological advancement. We're still a long ways away from automated vehicles, etc. Plus you have to consider the amount of time it will take for laws and regulations to be implemented. This stuff isn't going to happen in the coming years.

-Canada has various policy levers it can use to mitigate negative impacts of automation. E.g., monetary policy can be adjusted accordingly to make our exports more competitive.
Banned
Jun 11, 2016
41 posts
Stop invading countries so immigration will not be an issue, than focus on other areas of subjects like space travel, under water development projects, time travel innovation etc! Than maybe we won't worry about robots taking over.