Entrepreneurship & Small Business

What should I expect to pay to have a website built?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2016 12:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 20, 2006
278 posts
64 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta

What should I expect to pay to have a website built?

I am looking to have a website built that is modern, sleek and simple. Something that would be appealing to the eye and not overwhelming. I would like an option for a blog on the site that I can share on social media and link into the site.

Can any experts let me know what I should expect to pay for this?
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7339 posts
1059 upvotes
Toronto
How long is a piece of string :D

Seriously, it really depends on the functionality that you need. For example, there will be a big difference between simple site and one that, say, supports e-commerce. You need to come up with a detailed description of what you want or find a site that is similar to what you're looking for in yours.
Apr 12, 2008
8 posts
1 upvote
starting price is $500+ (likely WordPress based) and increases as you get more customized functions. If you get it done locally, it will be more expensive. It is also dependent on what you are selling. For example, a website to sell solar panels or cars or other high end items can run over $50,000 for all the functionalities while selling commodity/generic low priced items one might not get an ROI on their web development investment for this amount. Also, you have to remember that there is cost to rank your website such as SEO which can be expensive if using quality SEO firm.
Dec 21, 2015
525 posts
201 upvotes
Canada
- is it functional site or informational site
- do you need custom branding or okay with template that 1000 other business may already use
- does your site connect with social media networks
- how many visitors per month?
- do you need SEO done to it?

can be cheaper than $500,
but can also be more expensive than $5000
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14331 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
victornumber wrote:
May 4th, 2016 12:41 am
starting price is $500+ (likely WordPress based) and increases as you get more customized functions. If you get it done locally, it will be more expensive. It is also dependent on what you are selling. For example, a website to sell solar panels or cars or other high end items can run over $50,000 for all the functionalities while selling commodity/generic low priced items one might not get an ROI on their web development investment for this amount. Also, you have to remember that there is cost to rank your website such as SEO which can be expensive if using quality SEO firm.
$50K? LMAO!!! I sell very expensive items costing thousands and did my website for under $1k and it looks very professional.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2006
278 posts
64 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta
It is for a mortgage broker, so does not need ecommerce built in or any sales structure, but will need to have calculators, blog, information. The brokerage offers a standard site, but it is not what we are looking for.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1491 upvotes
Montreal
'SilverBane[GL wrote:;25872961']It is for a mortgage broker, so does not need ecommerce built in or any sales structure, but will need to have calculators, blog, information. The brokerage offers a standard site, but it is not what we are looking for.
Really depends on what you want, maintenance included, hosting, expected hits per month, do you need to be able to edit things yourself, etc.

Depends on who you go with.

You have not supplied enough information, I agree with all numbers submitted so far. It could be $100, it could be $50,000. You could easily get quotes anywhere within that range. Go to 10 people, and you will have 10 very different quotes.

Your first step is to build a document of what exactly you want. Until you have that, you cannot get an accurate answer. You need to know how many pages, the content, where the content is coming from, who will create new content, all the functionality you need (customer login, contact, search, etc). The more detail, the better. Format this document as best as you can. There are many document templates you could use....but for now, just write down all the details you can think of and then organize it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5247 posts
905 upvotes
$500 is a good starting point like others mentioned. Price can go up. I've done sites where people say they want simple and then they want something else added, then this, then that, etc.
Or another client I had said he wanted something simple, was a friend, so gave him a good deal upfront, then wanted 100 changes after I did it. Was a total waste of time.
Jul 4, 2012
374 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
I had my website done few weeks ago on Freelancer.com
It looks really nice, Interactive but no e-commerce
It cost me $380
If I wanted to add e-commerce, it will cost another $200
Nov 11, 2006
680 posts
245 upvotes
nabilbb wrote:
May 5th, 2016 12:42 pm
I had my website done few weeks ago on Freelancer.com
It looks really nice, Interactive but no e-commerce
It cost me $380
If I wanted to add e-commerce, it will cost another $200
Can you post a link to your website...? I'm interested in seeing the quality coming from freelancer.com.

Feel free to pm if you'd rather not post.

Cheers.
Jul 4, 2012
374 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
CanRulez wrote:
May 7th, 2016 7:03 pm
Can you post a link to your website...? I'm interested in seeing the quality coming from freelancer.com.

Feel free to pm if you'd rather not post.

Cheers.
www.Sewpassion.com
Oct 24, 2013
513 posts
121 upvotes
Ontario
'SilverBane[GL wrote:;25858349']....

You need to devide into two sections.

1. Design&Content
2. Hosting

Make sure to have your ideas and content ready. Flip flopping will frustrate your contractor,inflate price and time. The mentioned 350 - 500 are right if not many graphics are involved.

Hosting by you (using service provider like GoDaddy or gandi) is a few $$$ per month. Using a freelancer who will offer full service will start at approx 50$ per month.

Even if it is temping I would shy away from wordpress or joomla if you plan later in to have a “login only“ section for your clients.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7006 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
'SilverBane[GL wrote:;25858349']I am looking to have a website built that is modern, sleek and simple. Something that would be appealing to the eye and not overwhelming. I would like an option for a blog on the site that I can share on social media and link into the site.

Any site can be made eye catching with some investment in creative. Conversely even the most advanced sites can look like pants with poor imagery, lack of creative, lack of or disconnected branding etc.

I'd personally steer clear of freelancers unless you score one with a good eye who you can give some creative license to.

Cost can be little or a lot depending on what you bring to the table and how flexible you are with the design. Simply saying I want something appealing to the eye is only going to get you into potentially expensive discussions. My advice if you're trying to save a penny, find a 'style' you like and add your requirements before you engage anyone.