Entrepreneurship & Small Business

What should I expect to pay to have a website built?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2016 12:51 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 21, 2016
91 posts
90 upvotes
ichpen wrote:
May 9th, 2016 12:35 pm
Any site can be made eye catching with some investment in creative. Conversely even the most advanced sites can look like pants with poor imagery, lack of creative, lack of or disconnected branding etc.

I'd personally steer clear of freelancers unless you score one with a good eye who you can give some creative license to.

Cost can be little or a lot depending on what you bring to the table and how flexible you are with the design. Simply saying I want something appealing to the eye is only going to get you into potentially expensive discussions. My advice if you're trying to save a penny, find a 'style' you like and add your requirements before you engage anyone.
Completely agree. Unless you specifically know what you want on your design. Hiring a freelancer WILL be a headache. Unless the freelancer is local and he/she can offer good rates.
Just an average netizen. :razz:
Jul 4, 2012
373 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
baz5 wrote:
May 8th, 2016 10:09 pm
Not too bad. Not realated, but need a better logo though.
I agree. Just to be clear, the Logo was designed by me
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1050 posts
175 upvotes
This is a very interesting Thread. I have a domain name/website, and I'm planning to do sales of custom confectionary items. Doing orders and sales. Can someone suggest what I would need and how much it can cost me.

I want to have an online presence whereby people can order what they want off of my website.
Thanks a million.
$52.xx all in..
Dec 24, 2011
16 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Cheapest way is wordpress with a woocommerce plug-in. There are tons of free tutorials on youtube. It will take 20-40 hours to learn if your completely new. But that is $600 in savings. You still paid yourself over minimum wage to learn.
Apr 21, 2016
91 posts
90 upvotes
theplayground wrote:
May 19th, 2016 1:05 pm
This is a very interesting Thread. I have a domain name/website, and I'm planning to do sales of custom confectionary items. Doing orders and sales. Can someone suggest what I would need and how much it can cost me.

I want to have an online presence whereby people can order what they want off of my website.
Thanks a million.
It's almost better to get a SAAS type of eCommerce solution (ecwid, shopify). Unless you have time to fix bugs, monitor your site regularly.
Just an average netizen. :razz:
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1496 posts
446 upvotes
nabilbb wrote:
May 7th, 2016 7:16 pm
www.Sewpassion.com
FYI That is a basic template and he added pictures and changed the content. Not a fully customized website.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1496 posts
446 upvotes
Before spending money on a website you should look at ROI. So many people build a website and have to shut it down when they realize no one wants their product.

Go check out the thread where people suggest others check out their website. Out of all the websites from the start of that thread only 1-2 remain.
May 7, 2016
176 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
If you are building an e-commerce site, it is quite easy with the right platform. I built my website for less than $200
Last edited by Valachio on Jun 25th, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 3, 2016
2 posts
There is no perfect answer to how much does it cost for building a new website. Because the cost depends upon the customer requirement. There are specific different features regarding website functionality, website creativity and website structure on which the cost depends like number of pages of the website, graphic designs, different forms to be included, content, seo and also there are many hidden costs. Website can cost you around $500 to $4500 depending upon the small to large scale business website. whereas e-commerce websites can cost you around $250 to $999.
Feb 16, 2016
31 posts
4 upvotes
'SilverBane[GL wrote:;25858349']I am looking to have a website built that is modern, sleek and simple. Something that would be appealing to the eye and not overwhelming. I would like an option for a blog on the site that I can share on social media and link into the site.

Can any experts let me know what I should expect to pay for this?
Hi Silverbane,

I have a few contacts you can reach out to if interested in acquiring quotes. Very afforable, and have done some great work for my clients looking to build their brand + website/e-commerce etc..

Just PM if interested :)
[solicitation removed]
Jul 6, 2016
7 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I will be up front and honest. I design software and websites for a living. I right now though have a lot of work on my plate, so I am really not soliciting at the moment, but I suppose I would never turn down business ;) .

To be frank, if you go cheap you "usually" get what you pay for. If you want quality for cheap, find a "fresh" designer (preferably someone who has worked, but is starting on their own and needs to build their portfolio). I did a few jobs for less money at the beginning. Find someone who cares about their work otherwise.

Secondly, if you do it yourself, that is of course the cheapest option on your wallet. The downside is that you are only as good as you. Some tools do help to make it look good, but it looks like everyone else. Otherwise, if the tool allows too much customization, you might need a designer anyway. I personally 99% of the time KNOW a website is wordpress. Does it matter to me? Meh. As a programmer it does; as a consumer, I usually am buying from them (restaurant orders) already before I visit a website.

I personally tend to take care of things like logo design from the beginning of businesses to the end if necessary. I recently did a logo, business card and website. I personally charge $1,000 for a basic website that is designed without tools or wordpress so there is added quality and design. Adding a blog depending on what is necessary is usually charge around $500 because I am usually adding a coding framework (not just using html/css/js which is all that is necessary for a basic website; adding php or meteor for more advanced things like login and blogging etc..) and sometimes coding the blog. I don't do it from scratch (as I have done that already before), but I do update the code from passed things I have learned about how people might prefer the blog.

Each additional piece of functionality is hard to know. Are these publicly available or custom pieces of code? Is the calculation something you want private on the server or you don't care if competitors know your calculation metrics. Obviously if it were me I would want them to look nice, so that might mean hiring a designer, but usually I can write nice forms from scratch to avoid that. It all depends on how much design/creativity you need. By the sound of it you don't want much due to looking for a lower price.

Finally, lots of people may support outsourcing or hiring a website guy for $500.... I honestly think you *MIGHT* get lucky, but otherwise, I wouldn't trust the work of someone doing it for $500. I have seen websites that can't properly be updated (just too messy, so loss of original investment), and websites with malicious code (though I wouldn't expect someone locally to do this: like where it sends you to a different website 1/100 clicks). Think about all the websites you go to and think, "really?". Nowadays it is harder to get by on that. If you do go down this route, make sure to see their work, and possible a rough idea of what they will do for you before you pay (though at that price they might not be willing).

Conclusion, invest money in your website, especially if your doing social marketing. OR invest your time and do it yourself. Remember this might be the MAIN face nowadays for your business.

Advice: No one can build a good website (in my opinion) without lots of information. Pictures of you/staff, what you provide in services etc... The more information you have typed up or available the better your website designer can help you. If you type it, you save than if they have a copywriter or even if they do it themselves.

I also never felt cost per page made much sense, but that might be a business issue more than a designer issue, but beware in my opinion people who charge this way because it shows a lack of understanding of website design nowadays.