Careers

What should I know as a Canadian looking to pursue opportunities in NYC?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 12:39 am
[OP]
Oct 30, 2013
285 posts
30 upvotes
GTA

What should I know as a Canadian looking to pursue opportunities in NYC?

Hey RFD,

I have a few thoughts that I should like to share and discuss with you guys, any help would be amazing.

I have graduated in Finance about a year ago, and have about 1-2 years of experience in Investments - fully licensed but nothing huge, relatively entry level, while such things are considered decent, I have been racking up long hours doing extra courses, certifications, software/technical know-hows and building an excel-based valuation model.

Thanks to spending so many hours and saying good-bye to my weekends, I have been gathering some interest in firms here and in U.S.
Some NYC Finance experience would work wonders for my resume should I come back to Toronto in a few years (as I plan), being somewhat ignorant in these matters, here are my questions:

1) With Trump in place, how easy is it for me to walk off the airport, I have a Canadian citizenship since 2013, my other dual passport is from Pakistan, are there any regulations in place currently that I should know of, can I travel in current circumstances? I am of a Muslim background with a very Muslim name.

2) What are the visa requirements, can Canadians work in the U.S, or are there any permits that I should be aware of?

3) Are there any resources or websites that go in details about passport/legal requirements for Canadians to work in the U.S?

All your answers will be greatly appreciated.
3 replies
[OP]
Oct 30, 2013
285 posts
30 upvotes
GTA
winner2000 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:34 pm
Good luck.
Yes indeed. I mean, I have been working extremely hard and been gathering marketable attributes, hope my name/background isn't the reason I get passed over :/
Dec 5, 2008
107 posts
9 upvotes
I cant help you with how difficult being a Muslim in Trumpland will be. But just be aware that there are way more Muslims in US than Canada! I can tell you that being a Hindu, I had no issues (I got TN visa after Trump inaugration)
About ....

2) What are the visa requirements, can Canadians work in the U.S, or are there any permits that I should be aware of?
Yes, Assuming you are a Canadian Citizen, there are only certain job categories you are eligible to apply for. Look for TN visa categories in Google. You have to a job offer even before you go to the border claiming.

3) Are there any resources or websites that go in details about passport/legal requirements for Canadians to work in the U.S?
Simply Google. I went over CBP website. But my case was very simple. Also, I am not in NY but in Montana.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel