Careers

What should I know as a Canadian looking to pursue opportunities in NYC?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2017 4:49 pm
[OP]
Oct 30, 2013
288 posts
30 upvotes
GTA

What should I know as a Canadian looking to pursue opportunities in NYC?

Hey RFD,

I have a few thoughts that I should like to share and discuss with you guys, any help would be amazing.

I have graduated in Finance about a year ago, and have about 1-2 years of experience in Investments - fully licensed but nothing huge, relatively entry level, while such things are considered decent, I have been racking up long hours doing extra courses, certifications, software/technical know-hows and building an excel-based valuation model.

Thanks to spending so many hours and saying good-bye to my weekends, I have been gathering some interest in firms here and in U.S.
Some NYC Finance experience would work wonders for my resume should I come back to Toronto in a few years (as I plan), being somewhat ignorant in these matters, here are my questions:

1) With Trump in place, how easy is it for me to walk off the airport, I have a Canadian citizenship since 2013, my other dual passport is from Pakistan, are there any regulations in place currently that I should know of, can I travel in current circumstances? I am of a Muslim background with a very Muslim name.

2) What are the visa requirements, can Canadians work in the U.S, or are there any permits that I should be aware of?

3) Are there any resources or websites that go in details about passport/legal requirements for Canadians to work in the U.S?

All your answers will be greatly appreciated.
7 replies
[OP]
Oct 30, 2013
288 posts
30 upvotes
GTA
winner2000 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:34 pm
Good luck.
Yes indeed. I mean, I have been working extremely hard and been gathering marketable attributes, hope my name/background isn't the reason I get passed over :/
Dec 5, 2008
107 posts
10 upvotes
I cant help you with how difficult being a Muslim in Trumpland will be. But just be aware that there are way more Muslims in US than Canada! I can tell you that being a Hindu, I had no issues (I got TN visa after Trump inaugration)
About ....

2) What are the visa requirements, can Canadians work in the U.S, or are there any permits that I should be aware of?
Yes, Assuming you are a Canadian Citizen, there are only certain job categories you are eligible to apply for. Look for TN visa categories in Google. You have to a job offer even before you go to the border claiming.

3) Are there any resources or websites that go in details about passport/legal requirements for Canadians to work in the U.S?
Simply Google. I went over CBP website. But my case was very simple. Also, I am not in NY but in Montana.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2013
288 posts
30 upvotes
GTA
Ottawa_badboy wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:39 am
I cant help you with how difficult being a Muslim in Trumpland will be. But just be aware that there are way more Muslims in US than Canada! I can tell you that being a Hindu, I had no issues (I got TN visa after Trump inaugration)
About ....

Yes, Assuming you are a Canadian Citizen, there are only certain job categories you are eligible to apply for. Look for TN visa categories in Google. You have to a job offer even before you go to the border claiming.

Simply Google. I went over CBP website. But my case was very simple. Also, I am not in NY but in Montana.
Thank you for your input, it seems my degree in Economics eligible for a TN visa category, although I have been working in Finance and would also like to seek a Finance opportunity, also this seems quite promising: http://www.swap.ca/pctusa/program.aspx, don't know if anyone has information on U.S Career Training via SWAP.

Anyone took the SWAP Career Training opportunities?
Oct 9, 2011
500 posts
194 upvotes
EAST YORK
winner2000 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:34 pm
Good luck.
Would this really be an issue in NYC though? It isn't exactly a bastion of Conservatism.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2275 posts
328 upvotes
baddoctor wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 12:08 pm
Would this really be an issue in NYC though? It isn't exactly a bastion of Conservatism.
Getting through the border in one piece with self-esteem intact is the concern. It's not NYC, it's getting past the somewhat educated, somewhat biased, scary border guards.
Feb 19, 2017
34 posts
17 upvotes
Muslim thing won't be an issue.

Large employers will employ a good immigration law firm to help you submit a TN application through USCIS so you are essentially pre-approved before going through the border.
Using the "Economist" category to work in Finance is fairly difficult, and will require careful crafting by your legal team.

Also, what type of experience do you have in "investments"? If you're not already in high finance (investment banking, equity research, trading/sales, asset management, corporate finance), the chances of you getting a job are very very very slim.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel