Careers

What Should Be My Expectations For Pay Be?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2018 3:58 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes

What Should Be My Expectations For Pay Be?

Hello,
Here is my situation. Since I have been working at my current job (2.5 years), I’ve decided to complete a business degree honours at an university. I am finishing my degree next April. I’m also done the CPM next May. I want to know when I’m looking for a new job, should I factor in my higher education into my salary expectation? I’m not sure what a staff/intermediate accountant would make in industry? I work in the accounting/Payroll field. My position, bookkeeper is a mid-range position not entry level. The job title does not match up to the responsibilities of the job. I do a lot more than my title, bookkeeper. I would be more of a senior bookkeeper or staff accountant. The firm isn’t willing to change my title for whatever reasons. I don’t get paid well because I work in public firm and is notorious for underpaying their staff compared to corporate. Also since I’m looking for a job now, should I say how far am I in the degree program? How many credits out of 120?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2718 posts
589 upvotes
Edmonton
I wouldn't bother saying how many credits, bit that's me. Either your done or your not done.

Hows $20 an hour sound?
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22656 posts
9216 upvotes
Ottawa
Education doesn't mean shit without the relevant experience!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5415 posts
2653 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
It won't matter a bit. Experience and what you bring to the firm is far more important. Nothing magical will happen because you completed your degree.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
Okay thanks everyone. Keeps it in perspective.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1525 posts
547 upvotes
Tokyo
Just to touch on the "title" topic:
-While you may have more responsibilities, it is by design and on purpose. Should the new company do a background check on you, they will call your current company to verify start date and title, not responsibilities. You are putting yourself at a disadvantage by working/taking on more responsibilities then what you are compensated for.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: Just to touch on the "title" topic:
-While you may have more responsibilities, it is by design and on purpose. Should the new company do a background check on you, they will call your current company to verify start date and title, not responsibilities. You are putting yourself at a disadvantage by working/taking on more responsibilities then what you are compensated for.
Oh I didn’t know this. So, It’s in your best interest to have a title that matches your responsibilities. If you are advanced in your position, you should seek out more senior opportunities?
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: I wouldn't bother saying how many credits, bit that's me. Either your done or your not done.

Hows $20 an hour sound?
I make more than that...I understand your point
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Education doesn't mean shit without the relevant experience!
Thanks. Then I gotta work on the experience part!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22656 posts
9216 upvotes
Ottawa
AaronNetherson wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 3:00 pm
Thanks. Then I gotta work on the experience part!
Accounting and Finance is over saturated.
My wife is a Director of Finance and receives hundreds of applications a day for entry level positions such for Payroll, A/P, A/R etc...
Short list has always been those with relevant work experience, followed by a designation and degree!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1525 posts
547 upvotes
Tokyo
AaronNetherson wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 2:41 pm
Oh I didn’t know this. So, It’s in your best interest to have a title that matches your responsibilities. If you are advanced in your position, you should seek out more senior opportunities?
If you are seeking opportunities:
-Internally, makes sense to take on more responsibility. Will show that you are capable to work at the next level.
-Externally, they may do a background check, otherwise, anyone could pad their resumes, which seems to be common.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Accounting and Finance is over saturated.
My wife is a Director of Finance and receives hundreds of applications a day for entry level positions such for Payroll, A/P, A/R etc...
Short list has always been those with relevant work experience, followed by a designation and degree!
Can you tell me which careers or job area are in demand now and will be in the future? My background is in accounting and payroll. I don’t know if I can switch or find something similar to my field. I’m under the age of 30.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1923 posts
310 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 3:05 pm
Accounting and Finance is over saturated.
I think more specifically, the lower end of accounting & finance is over saturated - too many new grads with too little experience. However, finding more qualified/seasoned accounting and finance employees is increasingly difficult (from personal experience via hiring both for jr. and sr. roles).
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
winner2000 wrote: I think more specifically, the lower end of accounting & finance is over saturated - too many new grads with too little experience. However, finding more qualified/seasoned accounting and finance employees is increasingly difficult (from personal experience via hiring both for jr. and sr. roles).
Ah, I see. I am interested in obtaining my CPA in the long run. What type of senior roles are becoming increasingly difficult to hire into? I have only 4 years of accounting and payroll experience varying from startup companies, to small businesses, franchises, and non-profit organization. I am looking to go beyond this and get into an intermediate accountant role (I’m done CPA Prep and only have CPA Pep to complete) or supervisory or management in payroll or financial analyst.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22656 posts
9216 upvotes
Ottawa
winner2000 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 5:48 pm
I think more specifically, the lower end of accounting & finance is over saturated - too many new grads with too little experience. However, finding more qualified/seasoned accounting and finance employees is increasingly difficult (from personal experience via hiring both for jr. and sr. roles).
You're correct.
Currently, my wife mentioned that she hasn't been able to find any experienced candidates for the role of a Cost Accountant.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)