Fashion & Apparel

What should my parents wear for my university graduation?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2008 1:12 am
Tags:
None
Feb 27, 2004
807 posts
Ottawa

What should my parents wear for my university graduation?

After finding out my answer to what I should wear for my university graduation (Bachelor of Social Sciences), I was wondering, what should my parents wear? They're in their late forties, white, average builds for their gender. It's being held at the National Arts Centre.
12 replies
Nov 4, 2006
746 posts
67 upvotes
I think a tuxedo would be overdoing it a little, their more for stuff like proms, weddings, etc. I think a a plain black suit and white shirt with a blue or grey tie would be fine for this sort of occasion.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
suit, something on the darker side if you want to treat it as a more somber occasion, something on the lighter side if you want to treat it as a festive occasion (for different people, graduation means different things) :)
Also, the gown covers most everything :cheesygri
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1861 posts
9 upvotes
forget the jacket. just wear a shirt, dress pants, and a tie.

remember you'll be wearing the big gown on top too so all that will show is the collar and the tie.

plus it will be quite hot.
Jun 29, 2005
716 posts
8 upvotes
mingming wrote:
May 14th, 2008 9:04 am

remember you'll be wearing the big gown on top too so all that will show is the collar and the tie.

yup. And nice dress shoes.

I remember some guy wore shorts and flipflops to our graduation. I don't think it really matters that much.
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest"
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
17834 posts
2222 upvotes
Waterloo
mingming wrote:
May 14th, 2008 9:04 am

+1, or wear the jacket there, and get your friend/family to take it for you if it gets too hot.
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan/AMEX MR <= AMEX Platinum 75K, Business Gold 40K FYF, Gold 25K FYF, SPG 20K $120
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
1277 posts
50 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
May 14th, 2008 12:44 pm
+1, or wear the jacket there, and get your friend/family to take it for you if it gets too hot.
Definitely agree about wearing just a shirt, tie, dress pants, and dress shoes. No suit/jacket is needed because you'll have the big gown and sash over you, plus convocations are always long so you don't want to be too uncomfortable.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5800 posts
420 upvotes
Nicely Ironed shirt plus Black dress pants and a Tie optional should be enough if you don't want the expense of the Suit.

You are going to wear the gown for the most part like accepting your Certificate, taking pictures with family and friends etc and even if you wore a suit you would be too warm to wear the jacket while wearing the gown so you would shed it and put in a locker or give to family member anyway.

A Suit is nice if you are going out to a formal dinner with your family and friends after you give back your gown though, plus your graduation is an excuse to get a suit as parents are often so proud they are willing to spend and so may be the ideal opportunity to get a suit that may be used for other things in life to follow.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
bigshotceo wrote:
May 13th, 2008 11:15 pm
After finding out my answer to what I should wear for my university graduation (Bachelor of Social Sciences), I was wondering, what should my parents wear? They're in their late forties, white, average builds for their gender. It's being held at the National Arts Centre.
what ever they want.

Most people will dress up a bit...but remember than many of the convocation halls will be very hot due to the large number of people.
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12205 posts
92 upvotes
Everyone thinks this thread is about what YOU are wearing.

Its about YOUR PARENTS.

And they can just dress casual.

Dress shirt, and slacks for your dad. But a casual suit wont hurt either for the pic ops.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2004
807 posts
Ottawa
originalnutta wrote:
May 16th, 2008 12:55 am
Everyone thinks this thread is about what YOU are wearing.

Its about YOUR PARENTS.
The thread was about what I'd be wearing, but since it was a related question I decided to reuse an old thread....
× < >