• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 2:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto

What should she do

My best friend MM got an conditional offer from TD bank week ago. No back check yet. But today she called me that offer may be canceled as one of the top manager postponed that position for next year's budget. I don't know what I could do to help her except calm her down and let her to find another opportunity. It's a low position with a low pay. Does she still need to wait until they make a decision weeks or even months later?
33 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25455 posts
2766 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Be a friend, calm her down and help her find another opportunity.

Assume the position is gone, if you do get a call, it will be a pleasant surprise.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1949 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure why so many people want to work for a bank. I would understand if the position is for a high-paying main-office investment department. However, most of the people fighting over these bank positions are for retail bank-teller type jobs...Even after getting promoted to some sort of CSR/FSR position after a year or two, it's sales and more sales.

To OP: Just tell her it's not always the best to work for a bank. High stress for low pay is not worth it.

PS, aren't you the one looking to get into a bank? All your posts are related to bank positions.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1005 posts
268 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Assuming she wants to continue looking for work in a bank, tell her that if she`s good enough for the TD, other banks will consider her too.
Any offer and then rejection due to postponement that she receives in writing should be kept and possibly added to her resume next time she applies somewhere.
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
20 posts
23 upvotes
Canada
No, she doesn't to wait on job, the offer has been withdrawn so she can move on to find another job. If they come back at a later date, she can decide then whether she wants to accept.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:42 pm
I'm not sure why so many people want to work for a bank. I would understand if the position is for a high-paying main-office investment department. However, most of the people fighting over these bank positions are for retail bank-teller type jobs...Even after getting promoted to some sort of CSR/FSR position after a year or two, it's sales and more sales.

To OP: Just tell her it's not always the best to work for a bank. High stress for low pay is not worth it.

PS, aren't you the one looking to get into a bank? All your posts are related to bank positions.
You are right. I also looked for the opportunity from the bank together with her. It's pretty hard.
Somebody just doesn't like high pay high press working environment, but bank is a good place for you to practice.
Last edited by ILove$ on Nov 8th, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto
OnaFixedIncome wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:50 pm
No, she doesn't to wait on job, the offer has been withdrawn so she can move on to find another job. If they come back at a later date, she can decide then whether she wants to accept.
How do you know the job was withdrawn? They told her they haven't decided yet. Maybe, well, I just hope she could get that offer.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1949 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
ILove$ wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:51 pm
You are right. I also looked for the opportunity from the bank together with her. It's pretty hard.
Somebody just doesn't like high pay high press working environment, but bank is a good place for you to practice.
Some people like high-pay high-stress working environment, but NO ONE likes low-pay and high-stressed environment.
Oct 20, 2015
45 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
What type of position is this?
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
Ugh, that is an emotional roller coaster.

She definitely does not have to wait. She should keep looking right up until she actually *starts* any new job. Unfortunately these sorts of last-minute cancellations do happen, so you've got to look out for yourself.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:14 pm
Ugh, that is an emotional roller coaster.

She definitely does not have to wait. She should keep looking right up until she actually *starts* any new job. Unfortunately these sorts of last-minute cancellations do happen, so you've got to look out for yourself.
I never had this happened before. Is it normal in bank? Why they opened the position and had people to interview? It's just waste time and emotion. This is really an awful experience for her.
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
ILove$ wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:21 pm
I never had this happened before. Is it normal in bank? Why they opened the position and had people to interview? It's just waste time and emotion. This is really an awful experience for her.
It's not really normal in any industry, but it does happen. Not filling jobs appears to result in "savings" so sometimes bosses try not to fill them for as long as they can (and dump the work on other employees). Or a higher-up boss decides they want to re-organize so hiring is put on hold. Stuff like that. It's a terrible thing to do to a candidate, but capitalism has no place for basic human decency. And then employers wonder why their employees aren't loyal!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7808 posts
913 upvotes
Markham
ILove$ wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:21 pm
Yes it happens all the time.
Situation is the manager needs to replace a staff that quit or move to another internal position or dismissed. HR approved to re-hire, then later the higher management review next year's cost and budget for the department (or division) and decide to eliminated that position to save cost. Then the hiring process will stop.
The manager will just have to live with the existing team and share the workload.

Is not unusual. It happens all the time even for an internal candidate who try to move up from the same company.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:32 pm
Yes it happens all the time.
Situation is the manager needs to replace a staff that quit or move to another internal position or dismissed. HR approved to re-hire, then later the higher management review next year's cost and budget for the department (or division) and decide to eliminated that position to save cost. Then the hiring process will stop.
The manager will just have to live with the existing team and share the workload.

Is not unusual. It happens all the time even for an internal candidate who try to move up from the same company.
It looks like working in the bank would be a terrible experience. I'd tell her keep an eye open for other positions.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7808 posts
913 upvotes
Markham
ILove$ wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:51 pm
It looks like working in the bank would be a terrible experience. I'd tell her keep an eye open for other positions.
Pro for working in a bank is that they have the resource to train their new employees, Coaching and support you to pursuit whatever it needs for your career growth (down the road). They have set a budget for that.
Good employees benefits and you got to work with different people to sharpen your people skill.

Con is it is very competitive to get it and even once you get in, it is not easy to move up. The entry level likes CSR, Banking advisor, Insurance Advisor, Mortgage agent all have very high target and you always need to upsell.
It became a very stressful job even you are only at the entry level.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015