What should she do

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 2:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto
My friend thought she had got the offer, so she quit her job already and took a short vacation. The terrible bank hurts her deeply. I hope she won't think too much.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1944 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
ILove$ wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:22 pm
My friend thought she had got the offer, so she quit her job already and took a short vacation. The terrible bank hurts her deeply. I hope she won't think too much.
Your friend quit her job before signing anything, and spent more money on a vacation? What?
[OP]
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:43 pm
Your friend quit her job before signing anything, and spent more money on a vacation? What?
Yes, how could you imagine that she won this big lottery.
I think she will never apply for bank position anymore, which is great for her.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4731 posts
2309 upvotes
Edmonton
ILove$ wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:52 pm
Yes, how could you imagine that she won this big lottery.
I think she will never apply for bank position anymore, which is great for her.
No offense to your friend, but your friend was a fool. Until you get a signed offer, you shouldn't even be giving notice. Doesn't matter if it's from a bank or any other business.

And I work for a bank. I've worked in government, finance, O&G... All are very similar in a lot of ways. Banks aren't any different in their hiring practices, and my bank is just as stressful (or not) as the other industries I've worked in. Even government wasn't laid back like some people think.

C
Sep 10, 2017
40 posts
16 upvotes
Sorry but this is totally your friends fault, she should not have quit before offer was permanent and all checks were done. Take vacation days off if need be, but never quit a job before signing the actual offer.
Aug 16, 2008
741 posts
127 upvotes
Markham
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:42 pm
I'm not sure why so many people want to work for a bank. I would understand if the position is for a high-paying main-office investment department. However, most of the people fighting over these bank positions are for retail bank-teller type jobs...Even after getting promoted to some sort of CSR/FSR position after a year or two, it's sales and more sales.

To OP: Just tell her it's not always the best to work for a bank. High stress for low pay is not worth it.

PS, aren't you the one looking to get into a bank? All your posts are related to bank positions.
face
Jan 11, 2017
88 posts
25 upvotes
They did want to hire her, so don't burn that bridge while looking for other opportunities. I'd tell her to stay in contact with them and reach out to them every once in a while so not to be "forgotten" about.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2428 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
A conditional offer isn't a job. Hopefully your "friend" has learned her lesson, to never ever count her eggs before they've hatched.
There's a million reasons jobs don't end up going through; it's so common.
Tell "her" to move on, and forget about it.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto
hdjunkie wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:41 am
They did want to hire her, so don't burn that bridge while looking for other opportunities. I'd tell her to stay in contact with them and reach out to them every once in a while so not to be "forgotten" about.
Thanks for your advice. I will let her know.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto
MrsPotato wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:22 am
A conditional offer isn't a job. Hopefully your "friend" has learned her lesson, to never ever count her eggs before they've hatched.
There's a million reasons jobs don't end up going through; it's so common.
Tell "her" to move on, and forget about it.
You are definitely right. Never ever trust any recruiters before everything is in your own pocket. It’s also giving her a great lesson as well. We are too simple too naive to trust bank and government too much.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9561 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
Alot of banks postponing or cutting back positions. Maybe see in the new year. And it's decisions made at levels above the hiring manager.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4731 posts
2309 upvotes
Edmonton
ILove$ wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:11 am
You are definitely right. Never ever trust any recruiters before everything is in your own pocket. It’s also giving her a great lesson as well. We are too simple too naive to trust bank and government too much.
Other businesses do it too. Small businesses, large corporations, NFP's... Stuff happens, and sometimes plans change in mid-stream.

C
Aug 16, 2017
83 posts
9 upvotes
no offense but why would your friend quit her job without signing anything, that's a big mistake.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto
DimsumDeals wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:38 am
no offense but why would your friend quit her job without signing anything, that's a big mistake.
Absolutely mistake. Now I will pray for her and hope something great happen to her again.
Dec 11, 2013
159 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
ILove$ wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:01 am
Absolutely mistake. Now I will pray for her and hope something great happen to her again.
She needs a good answer prepared for "Why did you leave your last job?"