Careers

What should she do

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 2:06 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13198 posts
673 upvotes
This happens all the time...in many industries. Now, you are more likely to see deferrals or postponements as the company approaches year end (sometimes quarter end). Since many companies have fiscal and calendar aligned, you usually start to see such issues in the October, November, December time frame.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Apr 14, 2009
20 posts
Toronto
nalababe wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:32 pm
This happens all the time...in many industries. Now, you are more likely to see deferrals or postponements as the company approaches year end (sometimes quarter end). Since many companies have fiscal and calendar aligned, you usually start to see such issues in the October, November, December time frame.

So probably it’s not a good idea to find a job between Oct to Dec.
Let’s pass the end of this year and see if there is any other possible opportunity available. Probably I will start to interview next year as well. I like small companies better.
My friend will come back next week. I don’t know what hers the plan yet.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13198 posts
673 upvotes
ILove$ wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:52 pm
So probably it’s not a good idea to find a job between Oct to Dec.
Let’s pass the end of this year and see if there is any other possible opportunity available. Probably I will start to interview next year as well. I like small companies better.
My friend will come back next week. I don’t know what hers the plan yet.
It is never a bad idea to look for alternates...who knows, the position may open up or may disappear all together....
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
4740 posts
2312 upvotes
Edmonton
ILove$ wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:52 pm
So probably it’s not a good idea to find a job between Oct to Dec.
Let’s pass the end of this year and see if there is any other possible opportunity available. Probably I will start to interview next year as well. I like small companies better.
My friend will come back next week. I don’t know what hers the plan yet.
You're missing the point...

The "good idea" is not to quit one job before you have signed papers with the next job. Doesn't matter what time of year. Doesn't matter what industry. Doesn't matter what size of company.

If she would have had a signed agreement, she could sue the company for damages pulling the offer. She would have to decide if it was worth the risk (out of pocket for the lawyer, etc), but they would likely want to settle in any case.

http://www.hrmonline.ca/hr-news/when-ca ... 76800.aspx

Also keep in mind that employment in Canada is "at-will". So even if they let her start, they could also fire her before the day was done, and likely not owe her anything... Odds of that happening are very slim, but still.. The original point is still valid, IMHO. You (as an employee) do what you can to reduce your risk. Giving notice before you have a signed job offer is more risky than giving notice AFTER getting a signed offer, as it increases the new employer's potential liability.

C

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)