• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 12:29 am
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada

What should you do for rust prevention in Southern Ontario

Southern ontario. the land of slushy salty ice.
It's insane how much salt is used here.

If one buys a new car (or used) how does one protect their car from rusting away? Do the krown or oil spraying things really work? If so do you have to do them every single year or lose all benefit? Does washing really help if it's just going to get covered in salt slush as you drive home anyway?
13 replies
Jul 16, 2012
305 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I have always used Krown with good results. It makes a mess for a few days but is a good product. With my new cars, i do it each of the first two years and then every other year. Not concerned about keeping the krown warranty as the product works well so I have never had to think about repairing rust issues.

As for winter washing, try to do that once in a while in the winter when the temps get above zero. Worth it in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
Corrosion free has been proven to be the best rust prevention fluid. That being said, I think the most important time to get a vehicle rust proofed is new, the second most important time is now.
Smash that like button!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Lease and return every 2-3yrs.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
1. Park inside if possible. (A lot of people are putting useless junks in their garage and park their car outside to absorb heat in summer and cover by snow in winter)
2, Wash it regularly. (at least 1 or 2 washes in winter)
3. Rust proof
4. If any spot got chipped, fix it asap. Metal exposed get rusted out very quickly.
Kevinck wrote: Does washing really help if it's just going to get covered in salt slush as you drive home anyway?
Check weather forecast, if it gonna snow or rain the next day. Don't go. If you know it gonna be dry or sunny for another 2 or 3 days. Get it washed.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2087 posts
2433 upvotes
Ottawa
MP3_SKY wrote: 1. Park inside if possible. (A lot of people are putting useless junks in their garage and park their car outside to absorb heat in summer and cover by snow in winter)
2, Wash it regularly. (at least 1 or 2 washes in winter)
3. Rust proof
4. If any spot got chipped, fix it asap. Metal exposed get rusted out very quickly.

Check weather forecast, if it gonna snow or rain the next day. Don't go. If you know it gonna be dry or sunny for another 2 or 3 days. Get it washed.
Actually, parking cars inside increases the rate of rust formation. The constant freezing and thawing cycles contribute to rust, since rust formation, like all chemical reactions, is greatly inhibited at low temperatures.
Dec 14, 2009
229 posts
116 upvotes
Markham
When you wash your car, make sure you wash inner area thats just above your wheel (not sure how to really describe this). Alot of salt and dirt will sit within the grooves there. That's where you see alot of older cars rusting.
My car is 10 yrs old, 150k km, still no rust.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
jw513 wrote: When you wash your car, make sure you wash inner area thats just above your wheel (not sure how to really describe this). Alot of salt and dirt will sit within the grooves there. That's where you see alot of older cars rusting.
Wheel well lining.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
iflyplanes wrote: Actually, parking cars inside increases the rate of rust formation. The constant freezing and thawing cycles contribute to rust, since rust formation, like all chemical reactions, is greatly inhibited at low temperatures.
If the car is cover by snow overnight and park outdoor whenever it is during the day. I don't think it's better.

By parking it inside, at least the car it won't get covered by snow or ice for minimum 10 hours per day when you are home and sleeping....

I park my old 2007 Mazda parked in Condo's underground, and at work I have indoor garage and it was in top shape still.
My wife's 2005 Acura used to and still park at home's indoor garage every night, the car still have no rust on it.
Cars get wet whenever you drive out in winter, you can't avoid it unless you store it for the winter. By keeping it indoor, I believe it really helps.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10544 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
Hijacking thread, what's a good place to get corrosion free done in Markham/Scarborough/Richmond Hill? Looking to get some rust proofing done in the fall before winter, didn't do it when the car was new but figured it's probably better than not getting it at all.

Is EE Auto any good in Markham?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Generally Snow/ice wont cause rust as its just water. Unless its submerged in water or something. Its the Salt and other chemicals they spray on the roads that cause the rust. Also rust only starts forming/reacting at 0c and above (if I'm not mistaken) So by parking the cars outdoor it does not make it any better if anything it could be worse if the garage is warmer.

Rust proofing like you do is what is probably saving your cars from rust not by parking it in a garage.
MP3_SKY wrote: If the car is cover by snow overnight and park outdoor whenever it is during the day. I don't think it's better.

By parking it inside, at least the car it won't get covered by snow or ice for minimum 10 hours per day when you are home and sleeping....

I park my old 2007 Mazda parked in Condo's underground, and at work I have indoor garage and it was in top shape still.
My wife's 2005 Acura used to and still park at home's indoor garage every night, the car still have no rust on it.
Cars get wet whenever you drive out in winter, you can't avoid it unless you store it for the winter. By keeping it indoor, I believe it really helps.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
iflyplanes wrote: Actually, parking cars inside increases the rate of rust formation. The constant freezing and thawing cycles contribute to rust, since rust formation, like all chemical reactions, is greatly inhibited at low temperatures.
This. If you are a condo dweller, that warm underground parking is a rust factory. Your car will be dripping salt-water every night in the Winter.

Rust forms at a negligible rate outdoors in sub-zero temperatures.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
jw513 wrote: When you wash your car, make sure you wash inner area thats just above your wheel (not sure how to really describe this). Alot of salt and dirt will sit within the grooves there. That's where you see alot of older cars rusting.
vkizzle wrote: Wheel well lining.
+1 The reason why I use those coin operated wash bays.

When waving I pay attention to this type of areas.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Only recently where I got my toys rust proof. I never had any issues and question I I even bothered.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)