Art and Photography

What are some affordable but reliable 3rd party flash for Canon?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2010 4:22 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2007
1502 posts
59 upvotes
Brampton

What are some affordable but reliable 3rd party flash for Canon?

I have always wanted to buy studio flash to take photos for my baby (in door), but due to size and i eventually need an external flash, i am planning to buy 1 or 2 flash & some wireless trigger (maybe Catcus V4?) and some stand with softbox from Stuido 98 (ebay link i found here in this forum).

Based on the 2 item i am planning to buy, plus i come to RFD, you know i want to look for deals :D not planning to spend $ on the 430exii yet. so wondering which 3rd party you guys suggest? somewhere around $100?

sharing your experience will be much appreciated :!:

*oh, this is for a Canon T1i, and will use to shoot portrait for my baby (already have backdrop)

25 replies
May 6, 2004
413 posts
17 upvotes
Sigma 530 Super:
http://www.thecamerastore.com/products/ ... uper-canon

Quite a deep discount on the flash. What this offers over other $100-ish lens is more automatic control like ETTL. If you look further in the $100-ish flashes (Vivatar, Sunpak, etc), they are good off camera or if you're good with manual settings. With a flash dedicated to work with Canon on-camera, you get more feature.

I haven't use this specific Sigma one myself, but I think it's good deal offering feature / price ratio.

Best of luck!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5854 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
Actually the Sigma EF-500 DG Super would be more cost effective.
The 530 super just offers more power.

Buy them used. You save way more money that way.

When you go off camera, you're going to be all manual flash.
You learn like that.

I suggest you buy one Sigma, and then other Sunpak, or Vivitar flashes.
They're mostly all around 100.
A lot of strobists use them because they're powerful, and are all manual control.

I would pick up one or two Vivitar's myself, but i don't know where to find then for 100. Craigslist doesn't have much.

There's a lot on craigslist in the states however. :(
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Jun 30, 2009
804 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
lilguy wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 2:32 pm
Sigma 530 Super:

Quite a deep discount on the flash. What this offers over other $100-ish lens is more automatic control like ETTL. If you look further in the $100-ish flashes (Vivatar, Sunpak, etc), they are good off camera or if you're good with manual settings. With a flash dedicated to work with Canon on-camera, you get more feature.

I haven't use this specific Sigma one myself, but I think it's good deal offering feature / price ratio.

Best of luck!

That's a good price! I just ordered one. Thanks :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8274 posts
929 upvotes
Crappymonkey wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 3:30 pm
That's a good price! I just ordered one. Thanks :cheesygri
That IS a good price. Anyone want to buy my EF-500? :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2007
1502 posts
59 upvotes
Brampton
How does this sigma compares to the Canon 430EXII? Adorama has a refurb one for $240, the sigma is $200 already.

so Vivatar and Sunpak is reliable too? and i can hoop them up with Catcus no problem?

lilguy wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 2:32 pm
Sigma 530 Super:

Best of luck!
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1444 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
I've posted the Sigma 530 deal before, and someone pointed out something to be aware of... the page says "Super", but the picture shows an "ST". You may want to call the store to double check.

For the OP, my intro to flash photography consists of a Lumopro LP 120, which is a re-branded (remade?) Vivitar 285HV and Cactus V4 (although it can also be an optical slave). It's all manual and takes more effort to use, but it's made me much more conscious about lighting, so I've been happy learning and using it.

EDIT: regarding reliability, my cactus sometimes doesn't fire. This sounds stupid, but I think my head actually occasionally causes interference. When I do manual trigger tests, it ALWAYS fires. The reliability of the flash itself has been fine for me (I've only had it for 5 or 6 months, and roughly 600 shots, I think)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2007
1502 posts
59 upvotes
Brampton
the ST is cheaper isn't it? what is the diff anyways?

where did you get that rebrand Vivitar?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5854 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
The Sigma ST series don't offer any manual control. They're only TTL.
The super has full manual control, as well as added master and optical slave.

Don't buy the Cactus V4's.

Get yourself a set of RF-602's. They're way better than the Cactus V4's. Reliable and efficient. A much better value.

The Vivitar 285HV is a popular choice. They offer plenty of power.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Jun 30, 2009
804 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
supernerd wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 4:19 pm
I've posted the Sigma 530 deal before, and someone pointed out something to be aware of... the page says "Super", but the picture shows an "ST". You may want to call the store to double check.
I noticed that too so I called before I made my order. The guy put me on hold to check. It's the Super and not the ST...they just have the wrong picture up on their site.

On a somewhat related note has anybody tried the universal off camera shoe cord from Focalprice for $25?

Off-Shoe Cord

I'd like to try and make a ring flash like this...

DIY Ring Flash
Nov 20, 2006
14 posts
I have the Cactus V4 and it has never failed me.

And what i like about it is that you can use really old flashes on it too since it can support a high voltage :) vs the other triggers
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1444 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
I got both the Lumopro LP 120 and Cactus V4 from Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com) in the states.

I just looked up the RF-602 and I'd probably go with those instead of the V4's. I don't know how I didn't come across this in my previous searches at the time :\ Oh well..
Apr 20, 2005
460 posts
26 upvotes
Stock R wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 4:11 pm
That IS a good price. Anyone want to buy my EF-500? :(

Depends how much you are looking for it....

Drop me a PM, I might be interested... assuming it is a Canon mount.

C
Feb 9, 2004
603 posts
18 upvotes
supernerd wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 8:38 pm
I just looked up the RF-602 and I'd probably go with those instead of the V4's. I don't know how I didn't come across this in my previous searches at the time :\ Oh well..
I sold my Pocket Wizards II Plus and I bought 3 X RF-602 from an Ebay seller. I am very happy with the RF-602's performance.

If you buy from Ebay sellers, make sure you get the correct cables!!! Most sellers either don't include the PC Sync cable or include extra shutter release cables instead of the PC Sync cables. For example, I bought 3 X RF-602 Receivers + 1 Transmitter. They sent me 3 shutter release cables and 1 PC Sync cable. Fortunately, the seller sent me two more studio flash cables at no charge. FYI, I bought from Seller ID: "YesPainting"