Food & Drink

What are some healthy drinks you can buy at the grocery?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2010 8:44 am
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3141 posts

What are some healthy drinks you can buy at the grocery?

Anyone know of any healthy drinks to buy at the grocery stores (and which). I'm looking for drinks that are low in sugar (less than 20g) and high in the good stuff (no pun intended). I've heard of Ensure/Boost but there way too expensive (cheapest being $1.50/each when bought in bulk and on sale). I'm looking for something priced at less than $1/each.
30 replies
Jul 5, 2004
21456 posts
Less than $1 each? Forget about it. Just drink water instead.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5447 posts
I just saw boost at Costco, $14 for a 12 pack. The extra protein one.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4087 posts
Water. Really. Most drinks are full of sugar and the stuff that adds color. Even those energy twist tubes are scams and not worth it. If you want "good stuff", get it from eating the right foods.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
1777 posts
I second water. Save your money and drink it from the tap. Eat your calories, don't drink them. You'll be better off in the long run.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5002 posts
Southwestern Ontario
I just got a large can (48 oz) of Heinz tomato juice for $1.29 at Highland Farms. The nutrition label says it has lots of Vit. A, Vit. C, folate, and iron.
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12207 posts
WalMart is selling Neilson Chocolate Milk for $1.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Dec 7, 2007
562 posts

if you want a sports drink thats not too high in calories, get a case of G2 from Costco...30 calories per 250ml serving...but yeah dude..drink tons and tons and tons of water
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5002 posts
Southwestern Ontario
Maximaro wrote:
Dec 10th, 2010 6:50 pm
But they're really high in sodium.

Well, that's the trade-off. Anyway, most of us do not have sodium intolerance, and the long term studies have not concluded that sodium is a cause of heart disease.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5887 posts
I myself only drink water. When I need quick and convenient proteins I mix some whey protein powder in water. I get vitamins from taking a multi.

For convenience and one the go meal replacement type drinks it's hard to find them for under $1. I drink aloe(this is good for you) drinks sometimes but its laced with high fructose corn syrup, honey and sometimes sugar depending on the brand.

I pick up nutrament which is like boost and ensure but in a bigger can whenever its on sale at the Asian stores. Cheapest I ever got was $1.25 at Ocean's. Delicious on its own or with some brandy. Too bad they only sell the vanilla flavor in Canada and not the chocolate.

There is also tin tall tins of Milo at $0.99 but I think it's too expensive for the size can. It has vitamins and malt plus chocolate flavour. Supligen is like boost and ensure but
expensive too.

You can sometimes get tetra packs of Ovaltine or Asian soy drinks at the Asian stores too at reasonable prices.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3390 posts
Oasis juice seems to fit the bill.

The ingredients of the "deliciously yellow" flavour are simply concentrated yellow-coloured fruits, bell pepper, and tumeric. Taste great and its not that pricey either (1L for ~$1.50; I forget how much TetraPaks cost). I know Metro sells them.
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
soy milk is usually 2 jugs for 1.99 at most asian supermarkets like t&t
Deal Fanatic
Oct 28, 2006
5020 posts
Tropicana Orange Juice (no pulp).
× < >