None
Deal Addict
May 22, 2012
1015 posts
118 upvotes
MONTR

What tablet would you guys recommend?

Hi,

I have a lot of high quality informative videos (1080p) and it would be nice to be able to watch these in the metro, etc. I need a good size, and something that's really only for watching. I don't need anything else. Probably one of the chinese tablets since I see them here a lot. Which one do you guys think is good?

I also need to be able to play 2x 4x speed so that will require a little more powerful specs I think.

Thanks.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
I'm pretty sure the old Nexus 7 would fit the bill, size is perfect.
Nov 19, 2011
305 posts
78 upvotes
Calgary
Nexus 7 2013 is nice and cheap. Really most Samsung tablets now and days can do the job just make sure the screen res is what you want. iPads are all capable. Personally I've been eyeing the Nvidia shield tablet which I consider a step up from nexus 7. If you want minimum and cheap just get nexus 7. If you want more, most non budget tablets from the last few years will meet your needs. If you don't mind a full on Windows machine you can get the surface pro.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2012
1015 posts
118 upvotes
MONTR
Thanks guys but 7" tablet will be a bit small, the videos I wanna watch have full screen GUIs that have a lot of tiny text/labels so it will be hard to see them on a phone slightly bigger than my phone. I saw samsung tab s, not s2 which seems pretty good but expensive. But I might get that if it does the job.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2012
1015 posts
118 upvotes
MONTR
I want to get S because it's more widescreen and has higher res and screen size. But it's not easy to find.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
2100 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
+1 Android Tablet (Especially used Nexus 7 2013 Model),
So much more compatible with various video formats too.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
Rizwann2006 wrote: ipad all the way my friend.
Gee wrote: Try to copy video on an iPad.

It can be done, but it is considerably more work than Android.
No sh1t! I tried to copy a mkv from my nfs server to the iPad and watch it. What a royal pain in the behind.
We have 3 ipads at home but I leave them to the house's woman folks. They are typical iDevice users, they don't mind watching 2Mbps ( :cry: ) 1080p video as long as it's on a beautiful device. It's all form over function.

I have a friend who is a big iPad/iPhone fan. For him, Yify releases are the best thing since the internet!!! :cry:
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
If the nexus 7 is kind of small, how about the nexus 9 or 10?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
8454 posts
3627 upvotes
Where does one get a nexus 7 for a good price these days?
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
I recently bought my first tablet and after looking at a few I settled on the Samsung Tab S 8.4 and so far I'm really happy with it. The resolution on this screen is so high and it makes everything I use it for look so damn good. Especially for watching videos and Twitch streams in source quality (when it works without constant buffering) its so great. :D Also another reason I bought this tablet was for the two speakers which were pretty decent on its own, but after installing some Dolby ATMOS software that was ripped from the newer Asus tablets I have to say that the sound is pretty damn good now, well relatively speaking for two tablet speakers.

I mainly use my tablet for videos and Twitch so widescreen was a must and so far I love everything about this tablet except for the battery life which so far seems average. If I'm watching videos/Twitch mostly, it will last maybe 5-6 hours for me at most it seems, but if I'm browsing the net mostly then obviously much longer. Other than that there's not too much else I dislike about this tablet as its also pretty thin and lightweight. Pretty much has everything I'm looking for except battery life.
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bogolisk wrote: No sh1t! I tried to copy a mkv from my nfs server to the iPad and watch it. What a royal pain in the behind.
We have 3 ipads at home but I leave them to the house's woman folks. They are typical iDevice users, they don't mind watching 2Mbps ( :cry: ) 1080p video as long as it's on a beautiful device. It's all form over function.

I have a friend who is a big iPad/iPhone fan. For him, Yify releases are the best thing since the internet!!! :cry:
I was trying to be nice (or politically correct)

I'm in the same boat. I have 4 iPads, all jailbroken except one.

I don't use any of them. They are a royal pain to use even when it is jailbroken.

I use my Nexus 7 most of the time and the Nexus 9 once in awhile. The Nexus 7 is the best tablet for me.

The iPads are for the women and kids.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
1xTiMeR wrote: Where does one get a nexus 7 for a good price these days?
You won't find any on the RFD BST forums. Google other sales forums.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
I recommend Samsung tab s2, it's the best Android tablet I've used.. much better than all the Nexus tablets I used to own...
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
763 upvotes
Ontario
lachdanan wrote: I want to get S because it's more widescreen and has higher res and screen size. But it's not easy to find.
Yes if you can find an S I'd pick it over the S2 for the reasons you mentioned plus it would be cheaper. I don't get why Samsung sort of went backwards with the S2. I know both well as I have an S and my gf has the S2.