Personal Finance

What tax software do you use for your taxes?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2015 11:12 am
Tags:
None

Poll: What tax software do you use for your taxes?

• Total votes: 133. You have voted on this poll.
TurboTax

22%
StudioTax

38%
EachTax

0%
GenuTax

2%
TaxFreeway

2%
H&R Block Tax Software

1%
FastnEasyTax

0%
TaxTron

0%
UFile

20%
myTaxExpress

0%
FutureTax

2%
AdvTax

0%
SimpleTax

14%
Tax Chopper

1%
WebTax4U

0%

Poll ended at Apr 6th, 2015 3:49 pm

Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14524 posts
4288 upvotes
Here 'n There
Studio tax is great. Very easy to use. I love free.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5739 posts
2370 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I do some returns for friends & family, so Ufile 12 is a good deal, especially on their early bird sale (~$10 off).
Dec 22, 2014
766 posts
245 upvotes
Regina, SK
I tried GenuTax (free version), but I plan on grabbing another free tax software to redo my taxes for submission. I have a couple things that I cannot figure out how to enter into GenuTax. It uses an 'interview' to get information from the user, but it does not seem to have an access point to manually go through the tax forms and find/enter certain things.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4102 upvotes
Ottawa
At what point do we climb out of 3rd world country status and our government provides us a free way of sending them our hard earned money instead of spending even more to give them their share? I use a free option, but I hate Intuit with a passion and long for the day our government wakes the F up.

This isn't 1999 anymore.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1229 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa ON
So the general consensus is that Studio Tax can do the exact same job as a paid Turbo Tax license (or any other for that matter? The only difference is the interface?

I can expect the exact same returns in both?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2008
1432 posts
111 upvotes
I've used Studio Tax for the past 3 years however just for the heck of it I pugged in my numbers on my father in law's Turbo Tax program and it came up with a higher refund. I have checked 3 times to ensure everything is the same with both programs and they are. I filed with Turbo Tax this year.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
1614 posts
697 upvotes
FoFai2015 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2015 3:18 pm
I couldn't vote. I used StudioTax before, and I like it, but my computer is still a Windows XP machine and cannot handle the 2014 version :(

I tried SimpleTax, which I think is fine for actually doing your taxes, but not so much for "playing around" with RRSP contributions and the like.
I still have XP too, and StudioTax 2014 runs on it just fine.

In the installation instructions, you have to follow the step that says:
"If you are having a problem installing the 2014 version on Windows XP, then visit this link to see how to install the required .Net 4.0 on XP: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/p/dotnet4xp.aspx"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5947 posts
2671 upvotes
MontrealBonjour wrote:
Mar 9th, 2015 1:25 pm
So the general consensus is that Studio Tax can do the exact same job as a paid Turbo Tax license (or any other for that matter? The only difference is the interface?

I can expect the exact same returns in both?
You think that all CRA-approved software will not provide the same outcome if used properly?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3076 posts
478 upvotes
bubak wrote:
Mar 9th, 2015 3:35 pm
I still have XP too, and StudioTax 2014 runs on it just fine.

In the installation instructions, you have to follow the step that says:
"If you are having a problem installing the 2014 version on Windows XP, then visit this link to see how to install the required .Net 4.0 on XP: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/p/dotnet4xp.aspx"
Be grateful that you both still have XP. My XP died - now I have the dreaded Win 8 (now 8.1) and it is horrible. I can't even pay to drop down to Win 7 since I never had it. If only I hadn't wanted a desktop - could have purchased a laptop with Win 7. And every single bit of software that was sold to me was for max Win 7. It was/is not fun.

So far our taxes have worked out exactly dead on by just doing them manually. Husband is an accountant. And since we do not have children (and we can't claim the dog) they are not that complicated.
Mar 21, 2010
819 posts
200 upvotes
Edmonton
Just used studiotax for the 4th straight year. Really easy to use but had to do a tiny bit of tweaking for the netfile portion since it didn't enter investment income for some reason. Anyways now awaiting my direct deposit!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1802 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver
Super strokey wrote:
Mar 9th, 2015 12:12 pm
I was thinking UFile as it seems to be designed for Canadians or is that incorrect?
All of the options in the list are designed for Canadians. With that said, UFile is a solid choice.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5283 posts
1153 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Ufile. Easy to use and if you're just a regular working person with some investments, it is $15. Turbo tax wants some premier version for that that was around 80 if I recall correctly. Studio tax is free and great for simple simple returns but messy to use.
Consultant
- Oilfield & Industrial Services - Finance - IT -
In the Alberta Oilfield since 2013