Automotive

what tax you pay when you buy a used car privately in ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2009 11:29 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 10, 2008
52 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON

what tax you pay when you buy a used car privately in ontario?

hi,

i have a real quick question for those who have ever bought a used car privately in ontario.

so, what tax(es) do you pay to the government?
GST? PST? or both?
i heard it was only 1 tax you have to pay, but i have no experience in this.
any help would be appreciated =D

thanks in advance! =]
4 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20290 posts
1689 upvotes
You must always pay the retail sales tax to the province (PST); on a private sale you do not pay GST (well it's actually more a matter of the fact that the seller doesn't collect it being a private citizen and not a business).
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2822 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
to get the car in your name and plated:
pay PST
driveclean test
safety certification
Used vehicle information package
ownership signed by seller
proof of insurance (policy#)

just bought a used car privately last week, so it's fresh in my head.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
[OP]
Aug 10, 2008
52 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
oh wow..

how do you get a driveclean tested? it's a 2008 car, would it required to be tested as well? i believe driveclean test is.. that emission test, no? and in my knowledge you do that every 5 years (from the year that car built)

and where can you get that safety inspection?

wow i'm asking alot ^^;
thanks for replying though =]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20290 posts
1689 upvotes
g3p3nk wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 3:03 pm
oh wow..

how do you get a driveclean tested? it's a 2008 car, would it required to be tested as well? i believe driveclean test is.. that emission test, no? and in my knowledge you do that every 5 years (from the year that car built)

and where can you get that safety inspection?

wow i'm asking alot ^^;
thanks for replying though =]
E-test is every 2 years and though the car is an 08 I believe any/every car has to be tested when the ownership is changed (though I could be wrong about that).

Safety inspection is doable at pretty much any garage out there, they will have a green sign that says they do provincial motor vehicle inspections.

Edit: Okay I see what you meant by the 5 years I think. Once a new car is 5 years old by model year, then e-testing begins. E.g. a 2008 car would have it's first e-test in 2013 and then every two years thereafter. However if the car is sold any year after whatever model year it is (e.g. a 2008 car in 2009 as in this case) then it has to be tested for the purpose of ownership transfer. The car would not need be tested if the sale was made in 2008, but since it's a MY08 car being sold in 09, it must be tested to transfer the ownership.
× < >