• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2019 4:44 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2352 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto

What is this technology called?

When stopped at a red light and the lights turn green, I often see cars starting their ignition again. As if they were turned off. But I believe this is a new technology to sssve gas? Do you know what is it called? When did it come out? And does it really save that much gas?

And how does the car know when to switch off? What if it is traffic jam where you are stuck in one position for more than a few position? Does this kick in!?
Last edited by Woodbridge905 on May 30th, 2019 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
The system that starts and stops the engine to save gas is unsurprisingly called the start-stop system and has been out around 3 - 4 years on mainstream ICE and over 15 years on hybrids.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
Martin (deal addict) wrote: The system that starts and stops the engine to save gas is unsurprisingly called the start-stop system and has been out around 3 - 4 years on mainstream ICE and over 15 years on hybrids.
+1 Couldn't of explained it any better.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
Woodbridge905 wrote: When stopped at a ref light and the lights turn green, I often see cars starting their ignition again. As if they were turned off. But I believe this is a new technology to sssve gas? Do you know what is it called? When did it come out? And does it really save that much gas?

And how does the car know when to switch off? What if it is traffic jam where you are stuck in one position for more than a few position? Does this kick in!?
As noted by Martin its been out for a few years, and theoretically it should be ideal when you're truly stuck in bad traffic.

Implementation in most cars it will decide often to activate this feature even if the stop isn't long. It will restart usually after you take your foot off the brake.

Having said all that, I dislike it and any car I'm in that has had it I wanted this feature turned off(preferably permanently). The constant re-starting the engine is not a smooth transition with its rumble/shake and if you inch often in the jam it will often frequently annoy you. Admittedly I haven't tried every single one but thus far I don't like the ones on GM, Chryslers, Hyundai, Nissan, Ford and VW. If frequent idling is the big problem, I highly suggest a hybrid, the systems on those do a far superior job. I may revise this opinion if they can actually make it seamless in a traditional ICE vehicle, for now I hate the way its done on these cars.
- Jegan V
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
JeganV wrote: As noted by Martin its been out for a few years, and theoretically it should be ideal when you're truly stuck in bad traffic.

Implementation in most cars it will decide often to activate this feature even if the stop isn't long. It will restart usually after you take your foot off the brake.

Having said all that, I dislike it and any car I'm in that has had it I wanted this feature turned off(preferably permanently). The constant re-starting the engine is not a smooth transition with its rumble/shake and if you inch often in the jam it will often frequently annoy you. Admittedly I haven't tried every single one but thus far I don't like the ones on GM, Chryslers, Hyundai, Nissan, Ford and VW. If frequent idling is the big problem, I highly suggest a hybrid, the systems on those do a far superior job. I may revise this opinion if they can actually make it seamless in a traditional ICE vehicle, for now I hate the way its done on these cars.
I am both a fan and not a fan of it as well. If I am stuck at a long light, I will push further down on the brakes to activate, however, if it's not a long stop, then I don't push as far down to keep the car started, but still at a complete stop.

But the pedal travel is very minimal to activate. Sometimes, it activates even though, i tried to not engage it because it's that extra millimetre of pedal travel. Those are the times when it's frustrating because the light turns green literally right after.

Finally, as you said, it's not smooth because the car is trying to drive/engage the second it starts and it's rough if you release the brake pedal quickly.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2352 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
Is it really a good thing if start and stop the engine this many times a day? Imagine if you drive for a living, that is easily 100 engine starts a day.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Woodbridge905 wrote: Is it really a good thing if start and stop the engine this many times a day? Imagine if you drive for a living, that is easily 100 engine starts a day.
If you drive for a living you're probably better off with a hybrid then. Having an electric motor handle low-speed traffic with frequent starts/stops and only having the combustion engine kick in when you're cruising is much better for both air quality and your wallet.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6962 posts
6078 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Woodbridge905 wrote: Is it really a good thing if start and stop the engine this many times a day? Imagine if you drive for a living, that is easily 100 engine starts a day.
When a vehicle has this system they come with more robust starter motors and batteries so there shouldn’t be an impact on durability. In Europe they’ve had this for 10 years or more and you can imagine what big city congestion is like there (Rome, Paris, London, etc).
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1984 posts
1455 upvotes
Toronto
I have it on my Ford Escape and I always turn it off.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
Electrah wrote: I have it on my Ford Escape and I always turn it off.
Sport mode is how I run it. It's an employer car so I couldn't care less on the gas saving...
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12894 posts
13093 upvotes
Both starter and battery are fortified for this application. There is nothing to worry about in 2019.
Last edited by Xtrema on May 30th, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5099 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It sometimes kicks in at STOP signs which is annoying to say the least.

I always disable it, except when I am on a flat road and approaching a light I know will be red for a minute, then I turn it on.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
They are in tons of American cars and I hate it

Google "Stop Start GM CHEVY"
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1451 posts
811 upvotes
Torontario
On VW Tiguan - I am cruising with, you have a button to turn it off where it reset every time you sit in the car.
I found more useful is to moderate with the stop pedal - if you don't depress all the way down, it would not active the stop-and-go.

Stop and go would not activate as well when the car is not warm or temp to low, or vice-versa the AC is cranked up.

Otherwise, I say I find it useful given the extremely well-thought and efficient traffic light system in GTA that rolling green is rarely the case, while sight-seeing, your engine can relax as well.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Probably just a noob stick driver, stalling his car. Be polite, just smile.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12894 posts
13093 upvotes
ohnabatko wrote: On VW Tiguan - I am cruising with, you have a button to turn it off where it reset every time you sit in the car.
I found more useful is to moderate with the stop pedal - if you don't depress all the way down, it would not active the stop-and-go.

Stop and go would not activate as well when the car is not warm or temp to low, or vice-versa the AC is cranked up.

Otherwise, I say I find it useful given the extremely well-thought and efficient traffic light system in GTA that rolling green is rarely the case, while sight-seeing, your engine can relax as well.
Unless for people who keep their cars for 8+ years, everyone should have seen/tested Start and Stop tech. It's saved roughly 10% of gas for me and I really don't care about it no more. It saves me money and if longevity is a problem, it'll be next guy's problem as I don't keep anything over warranty.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: Probably just a noob stick driver, stalling his car. Be polite, just smile.
No body drives stick these days. Everyone drives tip tronic or paddle shifting :P
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
Assuming fully warmed up and nothing else is on, typical 2.0 liter engine consumes 0.6~0.7 liter per hour at idle (basically a dollar an hour). Unless you sit in traffic for hours at a time the saving is minimum.

A hybrid will spin engine up to idle RPM before starting, thus build adequate oil pressure, whereas a starter can only spin engine up to 200~300 before starting and unable to build up oil pressure each time the engine is started. But I guess it's not something most people would care about since everyone here is a baller and drives an in-warranty car only.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2565 posts
2828 upvotes
Montréal
I think the fact that this technology has been around for decades (had a car with this when I lived in France in early 2000s) that the engineers thought about this when they designed the system. Don't really get the hate for it either, completely transparent, at least on my R. But you can always turn it off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)