Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough

What are these "beef delicacies?"

Went to Keung Kee for lunch. So we order the Keung Kee special big bowl noodles, got dumpling, got beef tendon, beef brisket and some big black spongy pieces, and some dark crimson pieces and some tripe I think. All smelling very much like cow. Can anyone tell me what the spongy bits were and the dark crimson bits? I must admit I couldn't eat them, but the people at other tables seem to find them deleeecisious!
25 replies
Sep 26, 2006
573 posts
22 upvotes
The black spongy thing may be beef lung and the crimson thing could be liver?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
Yeah, the black spongy thing could be lung, but it was like a real sponge - kinda chewy with a thin membrane. The crimson thing was like a chewy inner skin with something soft stuck to it, like a jelly or steamed blood consistency. It wasn't liver - I know calf liver as I eat that fried with onions. When I asked the waitress she said it was "ngau bong".
Jul 7, 2005
685 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
i think they were the testicles.
Nov 14, 2006
452 posts
12 upvotes
Amuthini wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2008 11:47 am
Prarie oyster stew for dinner, anyone?
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
I just threw up in my mouth a little

You guys eat some nasty stuff
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Mar 5, 2002
706 posts
20 upvotes
Muncher wrote:
Apr 19th, 2008 4:54 pm
Went to Keung Kee for lunch. So we order the Keung Kee special big bowl noodles, got dumpling, got beef tendon, beef brisket and some big black spongy pieces, and some dark crimson pieces and some tripe I think. All smelling very much like cow. Can anyone tell me what the spongy bits were and the dark crimson bits? I must admit I couldn't eat them, but the people at other tables seem to find them deleeecisious!

Hmmm...not sure but it does sounds yummy!

Can the next time you go, can you post a picture? It would help greatly!

Cheers!
Tano
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2004
2233 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Amuthini wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2008 11:47 am
+1 on the testicles :D
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
duckdown wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2008 11:57 am
I just threw up in my mouth a little

You guys eat some nasty stuff
You just insulted 1.3 billion.

I can't eat some of that stuff after being "enlightened". I mean how can you eat tendon and innards that regular butchers discard but the Asians would everything on the animal. Might as well eat the damn feces.
Dec 3, 2005
602 posts
Toronto, ON.
yea its beef lung good stuff specially in congee :)
ogcsb
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3316 posts
31 upvotes
Richmond
Muncher wrote:
Apr 19th, 2008 9:57 pm
Yeah, the black spongy thing could be lung, but it was like a real sponge - kinda chewy with a thin membrane. The crimson thing was like a chewy inner skin with something soft stuck to it, like a jelly or steamed blood consistency. It wasn't liver - I know calf liver as I eat that fried with onions. When I asked the waitress she said it was "ngau bong".
Yeah, that's the lung. It adds an extra dimension of flavor to soups and stuff. It's strange, I love eating the intestines, stomach, etc. where poop literally passes through... but lungs still gross me out a bit.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3861 posts
171 upvotes
M@rk wrote:
Apr 24th, 2008 1:44 am
Yeah, that's the lung. It adds an extra dimension of flavor to soups and stuff. It's strange, I love eating the intestines, stomach, etc. where poop literally passes through... but lungs still gross me out a bit.
I don't know how people eat food like this...

Give me a grade A steak and PEI mashed potatoes and I'll be set plz k thx
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1103 posts
133 upvotes
Canada
gsrce wrote:
Apr 24th, 2008 1:56 am
I don't know how people eat food like this...

Give me a grade A steak and PEI mashed potatoes and I'll be set plz k thx
Different culture eat different things... no need to be shocked :lol:
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
this thread is hideous.
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Dec 20, 2005
147 posts
Toronto
Muncher wrote:
Apr 19th, 2008 9:57 pm
The "ngau bong" stuff is either the spleen or the pancreas. I'm not too familiar with the names but I'm certain it is either of those two.
× < >