Automotive

What are those vehicles with huge wheels all about?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2010 1:05 am
Tags:
None
Dec 28, 2004
880 posts
107 upvotes
Montreal
Looks and stabilty if you go wide. Just installed my 19" potenza last week,they look awesome but damm their noisy.

Wheels make regular cars look good, best example is the Venza 19"vs20" and Jeep GC vs SRT-8 20" and my favorite one, the 300
[IMG]http://www.importsextreme.com/300c/300c.jpg[/IMG]
Jun 2, 2009
283 posts
98 upvotes
its mostly for looks,but I swear manufacturers design their cars now with the specific target market and let them upsize their rims.

It's almost impossible to find a car nowadays with correct stance or proportions while on "low-profile" 17 inch rims

ie., there was a time when 17s were considered aggressive or sporty in a street car (such as first gen IS300) and now on some cars even 18" look undersized.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
It's all about cramming maximum pimpage!

I saw a range rover that was brought into my mechanics shop that had 22" rims and was having major suspension problems because of it. My mechanic wanted to smash that piece of **** to pieces.

Moral of the story: don't be r3tarded.
Mar 1, 2008
473 posts
15 upvotes
Kellster wrote: They look rediculous and add nothing to the performance of the car. It's all about the driver's attitude ("In yo face, in yo face, in yo face...").

Stupid is as stupid does.
Really, so if you drove an Audi A8, S series Benz, 7 series Bimmer or high end Lexus or Cadillac you would replace the stock 18+ inch wheels for 16's?
More like stupid is as stupid as an uninformed comment.
No nappy no happy!!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2497 posts
138 upvotes
Saskatoon
okaywithme wrote: Today I had one of these vehicles stopped beside me. I've always wondered, why are they rigged with huge wheels?

Rim diameter is inversely proportional to penis length.

Pickup truck / SUV aftermarket lift height is inversely proportional to penis length.*

*unless the vehicle is actually used offroad.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
I don't get it you guys are all showing pictures of like dropped cars on big wheels with low profile tyres.

The OP seems to be talking about jacked up SUVs on huge tyres (think monster truck), no?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
31 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I don't get it you guys are all showing pictures of like dropped cars on big wheels with low profile tyres.

The OP seems to be talking about jacked up SUVs on huge tyres (think monster truck), no?
Yes, that's it.
Dec 12, 2007
774 posts
3 upvotes
Nanaimo
poker838 wrote: its mostly for looks,but I swear manufacturers design their cars now with the specific target market and let them upsize their rims.

It's almost impossible to find a car nowadays with correct stance or proportions while on "low-profile" 17 inch rims

ie., there was a time when 17s were considered aggressive or sporty in a street car (such as first gen IS300) and now on some cars even 18" look undersized.
+1000
the only guy in this thread who knows what he's talking about.
Oct 26, 2006
682 posts
6 upvotes
donks

US East Coast phenomena, check out 'king of the streets':

http://www.kingofthestreet.com/

i have a lot of respect for the work that goes into the classic chevys that are restored to oem standards (albeit the 24" wheels).

i've always wanted a 1963 chevy impala coupe.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1755 posts
723 upvotes
The Capital
rockybun wrote: Really, so if you drove an Audi A8, S series Benz, 7 series Bimmer or high end Lexus or Cadillac you would replace the stock 18+ inch wheels for 16's?
More like stupid is as stupid as an uninformed comment.
thank you, i agree with this post.

Its about style, who cares what some do to their cars. You may find it hideous, but its not your car...