Students

What are the Top 10 University Business Undergrad Programs in Ontario?

[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes

What are the Top 10 University Business Undergrad Programs in Ontario?

So my daughter made up her mind and she and her friends have a lists of universities they'd like to apply to.

From the top of my head (I went to SFU in BC but never got to apply Kinesiology, lol):
  • University of Toronto (Rotman) - not sure if there is an undergrad program
  • University of Western Ontario (Ivey) - HBA but UWO does have a business program that isn't under Ivey
  • York University (Schulich)
  • University of Waterloo
  • Wilfred Laurier University
  • Queen's University
  • MacMaster University

1. Anyone have the top ten business schools off the top of their head or have a list handy?
  2. Which ones have honors programs?
  3. Which ones have really strong concentration/focus on things like Data Analytics, which seems to be a burgeoning field?
  4. Which ones offer coop / internship terms because I think those are the ones that will make it slightly easier to land a job upon graduation. I think Waterloo does have one and I know business/accounting is topnotch.

What she came up with:
1. McMaster DeGroote
2. UBC Sauder - though not sure if has strong links with Ontario based workplaces
3. Ryerson Business / Commerce
4. UWO (maybe she was thinking Ivey but I know it's hard to get into the HBA program)
Last edited by alanbrenton on Oct 13th, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Apr 14, 2017
203 posts
66 upvotes
DT Calgary
Schulich, Ivey, or Rotman. Maybe Laurier.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
Interesting. Is a co-op placement almost a shoe-in for students with good grades and a varied extra-curricular activities, it seems internships you have to externally apply for?

http://www.eddieho.com/content.php?page=whyqueens

There is no co-op at Queen's. This is true. Most students do internships or obtain summer jobs instead of doing co-op, but you can easily get an internship with a large corporation, especially in 2nd and 3rd year --> essentially replacing co-op terms that most other schools offer. However, if you're in first year, you'll probably only get a corporate job if you have good connections or if your marks and ECs highly exceptional. Remember, many competitor schools like Ivey, Schulich, Wharton, UBC, etc do not have co-op programs - you are not at an disadvantage.

https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/co-op
https://uwaterloo.ca/co-operative-education/
Apr 14, 2017
203 posts
66 upvotes
DT Calgary
You need good summer and/or co-op experience in today's world. That is more important than where your degree is from. So if she can get that on her own (connections, etc), then it doesn't matter as much which top program she goes to. But if she's going to need help from the school, then ya I'd like more at programs that offer co-op.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1873 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
Ryerson is far from being a "Top" business school.

Why top 10? There's about 20 ontario universities, that means half of the 20 have to be considered a "top" school. More than half aren't even considered "top" business schools.

Off hand: Schulich, IVEY, Rotman and Queens are very known for their business school with high recruitment.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
For Ivey's HBA program, will applicants find out about the status of their AEO application before school registration middle of next year? Nothing against the non-Ivey business programs at UWO because I'm an Alum but if she won't make it to the HBA, I'd like for her to prioritize other business programs.

https://www.ivey.uwo.ca/hba/admission/h ... -students/
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
All four do offer undergrad programs. Will probably have her apply to seven or eight programs just in case, lol.

Only the first three applications are free and she might try UBC's Sauder business school too .
Jul 1, 2009
667 posts
109 upvotes
You really should help your daughter define what "business" is. Does she want accounting or finance? Which elements? Or maybe its economics instead (different program all together perhaps). It's such a broad field, but the choices you make early on make it hard to move from stream to stream. And don't forget, all of these schools have two "tiers" - their named program, and the general arts&science stream. Make sure she does her research on what those programs offer beforehand. You should match what she wants to do with the specific university's strengths and weaknesses. Waterloo, for example, have an alphabet soup full of lettered programs depending on her specific career goals - so there, pick the program not just the university. I would say the top 5 schools are: UofT Rotman, UWO Ivey, Queens Commerce, Waterloo (they have several programs), and York Schulich

And iirc, most universities no longer offer a separate honours degree - all 4-year degrees are honours degrees.

The other thing about co-op or no co-op - you get as much as you put in. Co-op is not a guarantee that you'll get a placement. It helps a lot, but no guarantee. The reason why these top 4/5 schools are top is because of the networking opportunities they give you - and you have to take advantage of it. If she doesn't network, she's not going to get a job and will have a very difficult time getting a job in the future.

For Ivey HBA AEO keep in mind that it still isn't guaranteed that you'll get into the HBA program at the end of 2nd year. And yes, you get notification of AEO status when you get your acceptance.
Feb 10, 2017
46 posts
26 upvotes
I might have an eclectic approach but here goes:

1.) You should be realistic in your judgement of your own overall intellect
- those that are truly top of class should go to Queens/Ivey - here you have the highest chances of getting into iBanking/Mgmt Consulting/etc...
- everyone else should aim for a program with co-op over the schools "prestige"
2.) Don't be afraid to go down the "prestige" lane in order to get co-op
- Obviously Waterloo/Laurier are top co-op programs
- I would rather go to UofT Scarborough over UofT Rotman/Mississauga
- I would rather go to Brock co-op accounting instead of non-co op UofT Scarborough/UTM/McMaster

Obviously this is personal opinion but I've met many people that come from good schools only to struggle to find an actual job because lack of experience, only to see their counterpart in a b-level school get hired right out of graduation. This is more centered around someone who wants to do some type of accounting or finance role and probably won't apply for things such as marketing and human resources.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
True. Work experience along with good reference are key.

With Waterloo joint majors, it seems the business side is handled by Laurier.

Yeah, I don't think she is interested in IBanking / Equity Research or Management Consulting and those are highly competitive for sure.
Sep 8, 2017
36 posts
21 upvotes
Other than the Waterloo AFM program, Laurier's business school is much better than Waterloo.

In terms of job prospects, with co-op I'd rank Laurier above Rotman. Without co-op it's on par with or slightly under Rotman. Co-op is just such an effective way of graduating with relevant experience that it shouldn't be undermined. I know several people who graduated from Schulich/Queens who couldn't find a decent job in their field compared to most of my friends in co-op programs who had a job lined up before graduation. On the other hand, those that put in the effort to obtain summer internships were also able to get full-time offers in their 4th year.

That being said, I'm going to be echoing others by saying top 10 is just too sparse and doesn't mean a whole lot. You should be considering the top 5 or 6 at most (with a couple backup schools - ranks 6 to 10).

My ranking (empahisis on co-op)
1. Ivey
2. Queen's
3. Waterloo - AFM w/ co-op
4. Schulich
5. Laurier w/ co-op
6. Rotman

EDIT: Just want to add that if an MBA is a likely possibility, the 'prestige' of an undergrad program means nothing.
Ever since I discovered RFD, I've spent so much money in the interest of saving money...
Oct 22, 2017
1 posts
Does anyone know what business majors (in ryerson specifically) would be the best to do in order to get high GPA? Trying to get into law school.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
For those who took business at Waterloo or Laurier, what exactly is the difference between Waterloo's business program

https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/business
https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/programs/minors

and the joint degrees where the business program is under Laurier but the other major is from Waterloo?
https://www.wlu.ca/programs/business-an ... index.html

What are the pros and cons for the two programs?
Oct 29, 2017
1 posts
So first of all, Waterloo does not have an official business program. If you look closer at the first two links you posted, you'll notice that they're talking about things to add onto your degree at Waterloo, but Waterloo does not have a program that gives a business degree (i.e. BBA). There are programs related to business that Waterloo offers, notably Arts & Business (which gives a bachelor of arts) and AFM (which gives a bachelor of accounting). From my knowledge, this is because of an agreement between Waterloo and Laurier where Waterloo does not have a business program and Laurier does not have an engineering program.

Now the 2nd program you listed is something you can apply to from both Laurier and Waterloo. Essentially you're getting a Math degree from Waterloo and a Business degree from Laurier.
What I mean by "you can apply to both Laurier and Waterloo", is what is known as a "home" school. There are some subtle differences between being in this program as a Laurier-based student and a Waterloo-based student, but in terms of academic curriculum it will be exactly the same (both Laurier and Waterloo based students are full-time students at both universities).

If you have any other questions about this program, I can try to answer - I'm an upper year Waterloo based student in Computer Science & Business.