8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15333 posts
1568 upvotes
Toronto
funnypanks wrote:
May 17th, 2009 9:26 pm
Hi im buying a used car and the guy said it has 5 years left on his toyota ECP. Is that the same thing as a extended warranty.

there is a link here describing it, buts still vague.
http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects ... english%3E
ECP = Extended Care Protection AKA Extended Warranty. I think the guy is lying that there is still 5 years left on the ECP unless the car is only a year old...most ecp plans i've seen last up to only 6 years
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24575 posts
2333 upvotes
Ottawa
And, sometimes they are not transferable and only good for the original owner. Best to check that thoroughly.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4715 posts
231 upvotes
Markham
I have a 7 yr ECP, and there is a transfer form in my warranty pkg
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3072 posts
219 upvotes
Excellence is Worth Preserving
Benefits

* Peace of mind in motoring
* Protection against the unexpected potential repair expenses
* Enhanced resale value
* Lexus quality parts and service
* Manufacturer backed

Select From 9 Excellent Terms Available

* 48 Month/100,000 km (lease plan)*
* 48 Month/120,000 km**
* 72 Month/120,000 km*
* 72 Month/160,000 km*
* 72 Month/180,000 km*
* 84 Month/140,000 km*
* 96 Month/120,000 km*
* 96 Month/160,000 km*
* 96 Month/200,000 km*

* Protection is provided for up to the chosen number of months or kilometers, whichever comes first.

** Retail Extension. Must be purchased and approved by the ECP Division prior to the expiration of the 48/120 plan.
Owner Protection

At Lexus, we take great pride in striving to create the world's finest automobile and in offering a manufacturer's warranty of equal caliber. However, no one can forsee the unexpected twist and turns the road has in store for us. Fortunately, you can extend beyond the new vehicle warranty and enhance your peace of mind with Lexus Extra Care Protection.

Services Included

Trip Interruption

In the event that a covered component fails while traveling (over 80 km away from home), Lexus Owner Protection will assist you with up to $100 per day for hotel, meals and alternative transportation expenses.

Vehicle Rental Assistance

Lexus Owner Protection provides you with a $60 per day substitute transportation up to 5 days, in addition to the Lexus Loaner Car Program standard, with every Lexus (on applicable plans refer to Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement under "Special Services" for more information).

Travel Planning Assistance

Let us assist you on your next road trip with a personalized travel planner; which includes colour maps; alternate routes and trip log; tour and accommodation directories and lists of Lexus Dealers, notable attractions and entertainment en route.

Mechanical Protection

Component coverage includes Powertrain components, as outlined in your Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement under "New Vehicle Warranty", and other important components outlined below. With Lexus Owner Protection the length of coverage is extended from the 48 month/80,000 km to the preferred term selected.

Roadside Assistance Program

24 hours a day, 365 days a year, one phone call brings emergency road service and mechanical breakdown service as outlined in your Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement under "Roadside Assistance Program". With Lexus Owner Protection, coverage is extended from the original 48 months to the preferred length of time selected with unlimited kilometers.

Services included:

Towing (up to 300 km per occurrence)
Battery boost
Tire change
Winching from ditch
Fuel delivery if you are stranded (up to $100 per occurrence)
Key lockout service
Spare key delivery (up to $100 each time, for any of these services)

Powertrain Coverage

Engine

Engine block and all internal components, cylinder heads, oil pan, engine mounts, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, harmonic balancer, flywheel, starter, air cleaner, timing belt and cover, accelerator rod and cable, vacuum pump, expansion plugs, engine dipstick and tube, valve covers, camshaft cover, timing belt tensioner, water pump, fuel pump, fan and/or motor, fluid coupling, radiator, thermostat, oil cooler and steel lines, injection pump, timing gear and chain, engine control computer, oil pump.

Manual Transmission/Transaxle or Automatic Transmission/Transaxle

Case and all internal parts, transmission mounts, transmission cooler and steel lines, oil pan, clutch cover, clutch master cylinder, clutch release cylinder, torque converter, dipstick and tube, kickdown linkage.

Front / Rear Wheel Drive

Final drive housing and all internal parts, drive shafts, front hub, bearings, differential carrier assembly, axle carrier, axle case, axle bearing, rear axle hub bearings, universal joints, propeller shafts, axle housing and all internal parts, drive shaft centre supports, constant velocity joints and boots, axle shafts, front axle hub bearings.

Four Wheel Drive

Transfer case and all internal components, front/centre/rear differential assemblies and all internal components, front hub and spindle assembly (including locking device).

Seals/Gaskets/Fluids/Filters

All seals and gaskets used to contain fluid/lubricants within covered components, replacement of coolant, refrigerant, lubricants and filters when required as a result of a failure of a covered component.

Comprehensive Coverage (In addition to all components listed under Powertrain coverage.)

Safety Restraints

Front and rear seatbelts, airbags.

Front/Rear Suspension

Suspension arms, stabilizer bars, stabilizer links, ball joints, stabilizer bushings, wheel bearings, shock absorbers, shafts, steering knuckles.

Steering

Steering column, shaft, power steering pump, power steering pulley, rack ends, steering wheel, linkage, tubes, rack end boots, steering gear, power steering fluid reservoir tank, hoses.

Heating/Air Conditioning

All A/C components, blower motors, electronic heater control unit.

Brakes

Master cylinder, brake booster, calipers, wheel cylinders, proportioning valve, hydraulic lines, ABS actuators, parking brake, control handle, cables, master cylinder reservoir, actuator, pedal.

High Tech Components

All computers, actuators and sensors used in the following electronically controlled units and/or systems: electronic modulated suspension system, progressive power steering system, electronic controlled transmission, antilock brake system, cruise control system, body and door control computer. All sensors. including hoses, pipes, nuts, clamps, wires, switches and sensors.

Emission Control

Electronic fuel injection system, distributor, ignition coil, igniter, ignition wire, fuel tank, fuel cap, hoses, pipes, air pump, air injection manifold, throttle positioner, modulator, catalytic converter, exhaust pipe (manifold to catalyst), EGR pipe, EGR valve, vacuum switching valve, all parts used in positive crank case ventilation system, air injection or air suction system, emission control sensor.

Electrical System

Power window motors and regulators, exterior mirror motors, electric door lock actuators, power seat motor and gears, sunroof motor, wiper motor, washer pumps, all manually operated switches, wiring harness, speedometer and cable, wiper arms, linkage and other parts used in the preceding components and/or systems including hoses, pipes, nuts, clamps, wires, switches and sensors.

Body Hardware

Door hinges (front/rear/hatch), inside door handles (front/rear/hatch), outside door handles (front/rear/ hatch), hood and hatch supports, fuel door release cable, trunk release cable, child safety door lock mechanism.
Sep 27, 2005
10 posts
I was also looking at purchasing a used Toyota with an ECP on it. According to Toyota Canada, the original owner has to transfer this to you. It is not valid otherwise.
Nov 10, 2007
110 posts
6 upvotes
Montreal
kmz wrote:
May 18th, 2009 12:32 pm
I was also looking at purchasing a used Toyota with an ECP on it. According to Toyota Canada, the original owner has to transfer this to you. It is not valid otherwise.
Toyota just lost a class-action lawsuit in Quebec because they were charging a fee to transfer warranties to new owners. See link.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1118 posts
72 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote:
May 18th, 2009 1:24 am
ECP = Extended Care Protection AKA Extended Warranty. I think the guy is lying that there is still 5 years left on the ECP unless the car is only a year old...most ecp plans i've seen last up to only 6 years
Its a 2 year old car which originally had the 7yr ECP.
Thanks everyone else in this thread, you have been very helpful, I think Ill end up getting the car. If toyota tries to charge me for transfering the warranty what should I say?

NVM: at the bottom of the page it says "Incidentally, the fee for the extended warranty transfer was dropped by Toyota back in 2000." so i doubt they would charge me.
× < >