Computers & Electronics

What type of cable is running into my DSL input for phone/internet?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2014 11:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1268 posts
82 upvotes
Vaughan

What type of cable is running into my DSL input for phone/internet?

i already asked something similar to this but maybe I didn't word it properly.
I am currently with bell for home phone and Internet and the modems + phone lines use DSL. I want to know the type of cable that is connected to this DSL phone line box thing inside the wall. Our walls are open and I want to relocate my modem in the house so I figure that now is the time to make a new DSL box on the wall near my modem and run it to the main where the bell panel is!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1268 posts
82 upvotes
Vaughan
I ran CAT3 but I'm not sure if that's correct?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
You could have 19gauge 2-conductor if the house is old enough. Maybe 22 gauge 3 conductor. Maybe 4 conductor. Maybe cat3, 5, 5e, or 6.

If you just want to know what to put in the walls, use cat 5e or 6. Anything works.

Cat3 is fine for a phone line or a dsl line. But if you want to network inside the house, run cat 5e or 6 from your modem location to every room in the house.

If you want to be even more futureproof, run a piece of corning clearcurve fiber, or whatever bell is using for ftth installations.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1268 posts
82 upvotes
Vaughan
i6s1 wrote: You could have 19gauge 2-conductor if the house is old enough. Maybe 22 gauge 3 conductor. Maybe 4 conductor. Maybe cat3, 5, 5e, or 6.

If you just want to know what to put in the walls, use cat 5e or 6. Anything works.

Cat3 is fine for a phone line or a dsl line. But if you want to network inside the house, run cat 5e or 6 from your modem location to every room in the house.

If you want to be even more futureproof, run a piece of corning clearcurve fiber, or whatever bell is using for ftth installations.

But we currently have Internet via those DSL jacks on the wall
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Run Cat5 or Cat6. They can be used either for phone jacks or network jacks