Home & Garden

What type of gas do you use on your snowblower?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2011 10:51 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 20, 2007
275 posts
34 upvotes

What type of gas do you use on your snowblower?

I just upgraded from a single stage to a dual stage snow blower. My question to the snow blower / thrower owners is, are you using regular gas or are you using mid to high octane?

I learned a hard lesson before where my single stage snow thrower's carb needles were gummed up. The mechanic who fixed it (rebuilt the carb) said not to use gasoline with ethanol as it can easily gum up. Ever since 09, I've been using high octane for my snow blower and lawn mower.

He also recommended to empty the tank when the season is over to ensure nothing is left in the engine that could damage the internals.

I did see this article posted in one of the threads pertaining to snow blowers - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25936782/ns ... umer_news/, however it seems to pertain more to 2 cycle engines.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14828 posts
1497 upvotes
Regular gas.

Did you leave the gas in the tank for an extended period of time? Gas without stabilizer will gum up any engine.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
A good friend of mine ran a tank of race fuel through his, he said it was a noticable difference, LOL.
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
Jul 26, 2010
827 posts
54 upvotes
eastern Ontario
stabil has a marine stabilizer made for ethanol gas. All regular gas in ontario has at least 5% ethanol. Some premiums may still be ethanol free. I use a product called seafoam for cleaning the gum out of carbs, available at Napa but cheaper at Carquest. I run it from the tank at 50-50 with the gas
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
janaka wrote:
Feb 4th, 2011 3:05 pm
A good friend of mine ran a tank of race fuel through his, he said it was a noticable difference, LOL.

How did it do in the 1/4 mile? ;)

OP, read up on octane rating.
This space for rent
Oct 16, 2010
76 posts
3 upvotes
Ankeny, IA, USA
38racing wrote:
Feb 4th, 2011 3:37 pm
stabil has a marine stabilizer made for ethanol gas. All regular gas in ontario has at least 5% ethanol. Some premiums may still be ethanol free. I use a product called seafoam for cleaning the gum out of carbs, available at Napa but cheaper at Carquest. I run it from the tank at 50-50 with the gas
Could you explain the 50-50 with the gas comment?
To me it reads like you are saying 50% Seafoam and 50% gas in your engine.
Are you saying you do that regularly or that you run that mixture when you feel you have a problem that requires cleaning of the carburetor?
Charles
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1773 posts
136 upvotes
Bolton
helterskelter wrote:
Feb 4th, 2011 2:16 pm
I just upgraded from a single stage to a dual stage snow blower. My question to the snow blower / thrower owners is, are you using regular gas or are you using mid to high octane?

I learned a hard lesson before where my single stage snow thrower's carb needles were gummed up. The mechanic who fixed it (rebuilt the carb) said not to use gasoline with ethanol as it can easily gum up. Ever since 09, I've been using high octane for my snow blower and lawn mower.

He also recommended to empty the tank when the season is over to ensure nothing is left in the engine that could damage the internals.

I did see this article posted in one of the threads pertaining to snow blowers - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25936782/ns ... umer_news/, however it seems to pertain more to 2 cycle engines.

High octane...If you have gas shut of valve, just shut gas off before you finish and let engine stop that way..It takes couple of extra pulls when you go and use it again, but you won't have any issues with carb..
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4451 posts
594 upvotes
Read the owner's manual and do as it suggests with respect to gas and off season storage.

Ethanol will only do harm if it sits for a period of time and is allowed to separate.
Jul 26, 2010
827 posts
54 upvotes
eastern Ontario
CharlesW wrote:
Feb 4th, 2011 11:44 pm
Could you explain the 50-50 with the gas comment?
To me it reads like you are saying 50% Seafoam and 50% gas in your engine.
Are you saying you do that regularly or that you run that mixture when you feel you have a problem that requires cleaning of the carburetor?

I do the 50-50 at the beginning of the season on my own stuff and on any friend's that complains of running bad.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3554 posts
67 upvotes
Have been recently doing some regarding on our ethanol blend experiment, and because of it we're seeing poorer gas. Refiners are making a 84 octane and blending with the ethanol gives it 87 rating. Our local Polaris dealership has had an increase in the number of fuel related problems in both sleds and ATVs.

I, for one, won't be using regular gas in any of my small engine powered stuff. Especially when engines are running leaner because of it.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7521 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Apparently Shell's 91 Octane gas has No ethanol in it. It says it on the pump as well.
Maximum Repair
Computer & Cell Phone Repair
PM me for more info
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10708 posts
1685 upvotes
Toronto
I use regular grade with fuel stabilizer. I never throw out the remaining fuel. Never ever had any problems. Blower is decade old and still starts within 2 pulls. I do the same thing with the lawn mower which is 2 decades old. Again no issues. For the leaf blower (2 stroke), I use premium grade with fuel stabilizer. I use the higher grade fuel only because the owners manual recommends it. I assume that premium is required because the engine runs at higher rpm???
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1243 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
ancnfamily wrote:
Feb 13th, 2011 4:54 pm
High octane...If you have gas shut of valve, just shut gas off before you finish and let engine stop that way..It takes couple of extra pulls when you go and use it again, but you won't have any issues with carb..
This is what I do as well with mine. shut the valve and it shuts down the machine in a minute or so.
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
I use the cheapest gas I can find. Beaver, Nozzle or any other no name gas station doesn't make a difference to me. I don't use fuel stabilizers and I don't drain the gas tank during the off season. I have a 7 year old unit and it runs perfectly.
× < >