Automotive

What type of motor oil (oil change) do I need for a 2017 Toyota Rav4?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 10:56 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto

What type of motor oil (oil change) do I need for a 2017 Toyota Rav4?

I've been going through my manual and I couldn't find anything. I went to Walmart/Costco websites and there are just so many to choose from but does not list which vehicles it's compatible with under specifications. Google tells me I need 0W20, however, this is for older models of the car.

P.S. I want to try doing the oil change myself for the first time after realizing how expensive it is for newer cars and how others have told me the person doing the oil change could switch to a cheaper type of oil to make money and can mess up my car.
38 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
It has to be in your manual. Check again.

For every job, there is always an initial cost (i.e. tools, mistakes, etc). But after a few times, you will start saving and doing a better job than a highschool drop out that don't care about your vehicle.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
did you look under the hood ? What does the oil cap say ?

owners manual ... page 671 says 0W20

You need 4.4L (with the filter)

SAE 0W-20 is the best choice
for good fuel economy and
good starting in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-20 is not available,
SAE 5W-20 oil may be used.
However, it must be replaced
with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil
change
Last edited by booblehead on Dec 1st, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
As mentioned check the oil Cap for the oil weight, You will need synthetic oil also.

if you are really concerned you could call the dealer for info or even buy the oil/filter directly from them. Also keep the bills just in case you need proof that the oil chances were done for warranty coverage.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
it's in the manual, you missed it.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/documen ... 0R005U.pdf

Page 672:

Engine oil selection
“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is us
ed in your Toyota vehicle. Use
Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy
the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20
change.
Oil viscosity (0W-20 is explained here as an example):
• The 0W in 0W-20 indicates the
characteristic of the oil which
allows cold startability. Oils with
a lower value before the W allow
for easier starting of the engine in cold weather.
• The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil
when the oil is at high temperature.
An oil with a higher viscosity
(one with a higher value) may be
better suited if the vehicle is
operated at high speeds, or
under extreme load conditions.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: did you look under the hood ? What does the oil cap say ?

owners manual ... page 671 says 0W20

You need 4.4L (with the filter)

change
Thanks a lot! Also, what about oil filters?
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
blitzforce wrote: Thanks a lot! Also, what about oil filters?
Seriously you look to be in a bit over your head here. If you can't even find what oil and filter your car uses I wonder what else you don't know about changing oil yourself like jacking up the car and using the oilpan as a support, putting less or more oil, putting the O ring gasket on the wrong part of the filter cannister etc.... Just take it to the dealer, the local Toyota dealer here charges $59.99 for 0w20 synthetic which is very reasonable and you get a service record entered and no hassles if you should have a warranty issue.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
ottofly wrote: Seriously you look to be in a bit over your head here. If you can't even find what oil and filter your car uses I wonder what else you don't know about changing oil yourself like jacking up the car and using the oilpan as a support, putting less or more oil, putting the O ring gasket on the wrong part of the filter cannister etc.... Just take it to the dealer, the local Toyota dealer here charges $59.99 for 0w20 synthetic which is very reasonable and you get a service record entered and no hassles if you should have a warranty issue.
I am finding out the information from the senior RFD members here. Isn't this another form of info acquisition? I can give Toyota a call myself if I have to but then what's the whole point of this forum if the only questions I'm allowed to ask are rocket science questions?

YouTube teaches how to DO the oil change. I just need to know what type of oil and filter to use. I only need to do it once and I will know how to do it going forward. This isn't rocket science...as someone else here has said "you will start saving and doing a better job than a highschool drop out that don't care about your vehicle".
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: I've been going through my manual and I couldn't find anything. I went to Walmart/Costco websites and there are just so many to choose from but does not list which vehicles it's compatible with under specifications. Google tells me I need 0W20, however, this is for older models of the car.

P.S. I want to try doing the oil change myself for the first time after realizing how expensive it is for newer cars and how others have told me the person doing the oil change could switch to a cheaper type of oil to make money and can mess up my car.
Just realized you have a 2017 Toyota RAV4.. Still under MFG warranty I would get the oil done through Toyota so it saves you headache of any failure within your warranty period. Changing the oil yourself will void any warranty related repairs as you would need to show proof of oil change receipts. Plus, when you change the oil through Toyota it's all documented, so in case something was to happen (oil leak, pan bolt not tightened, or engine over heats, etc) you don't need to worry about any receipts to pull out. Think about it!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
kabyLake wrote: Just realized you have a 2017 Toyota RAV4.. Still under MFG warranty I would get the oil done through Toyota so it saves you headache of any failure within your warranty period. Changing the oil yourself will void any warranty related repairs as you would need to show proof of oil change receipts. Plus, when you change the oil through Toyota it's all documented, so in case something was to happen (oil leak, pan bolt not tightened, or engine over heats, etc) you don't need to worry about any receipts to pull out. Think about it!
I will give Toyota a call later to get a quote. I just don't want to, for example, walk into Mr. Lube and walk out with a $300 bill (went in and was bombarded with "if you don't change this, you will be poisoned from the toxin").
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: I will give Toyota a call later to get a quote. I just don't want to, for example, walk into Mr. Lube and walk out with a $300 bill (went in and was bombarded with "if you don't change this, you will be poisoned from the toxin").
I never take it to those franchised auto shops just for that one reason, as I work for a company who sells auto parts we have everything I need so I get a discount here and get my own mechanic to do the work. But your new car should come with scheduled maintenance plans, so I suggest follow that only and it to Toyota for any work to be done. It's just safe proof for any future problems that may arise, and to show authenticity that work was all completed with the dealer and no third party shops was used.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
blitzforce wrote: I am finding out the information from the senior RFD members here. Isn't this another form of info acquisition? I can give Toyota a call myself if I have to but then what's the whole point of this forum if the only questions I'm allowed to ask are rocket science questions?

YouTube teaches how to DO the oil change. I just need to know what type of oil and filter to use. I only need to do it once and I will know how to do it going forward. This isn't rocket science...as someone else here has said "you will start saving and doing a better job than a highschool drop out that don't care about your vehicle".
Ahh Youtube of course, everybody is a mechanic and a car expert today. :rolleyes: 'It's not rocket science' yet you can't even read an owners manual. At this point, I have more faith in a high school dropout doing an oil change than you doing it yourself but hey it's your car, knock yourself out. Your 5L bottle of synthetic 0W20 will cost between $30-$40 and the filter will cost $10. What do you think you're saving by DIY? Can't wait until your next thread "there is oil leaking after oil change, what did I do wrong"..
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
ottofly wrote: Ahh Youtube of course, everybody is a mechanic and a car expert today. :rolleyes: 'It's not rocket science' yet you can't even read an owners manual. At this point, I have more faith in a high school dropout doing an oil change than you doing it yourself but hey it's your car, knock yourself out. Your 5L bottle of synthetic 0W20 will cost between $30-$40 and the filter will cost $10. What do you think you're saving by DIY? Can't wait until your next thread "there is oil leaking after oil change, what did I do wrong"..
Dude no need to be rude, I mean if you don't feel like posting anything good then don't post anything at all, very simple. I would say Blitzforce is a champ for atleast trying to attempt something that some of us just leave it to someone else to handle. Appreciate his effort!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
kabyLake wrote: I never take it to those franchised auto shops just for that one reason, as I work for a company who sells auto parts we have everything I need so I get a discount here and get my own mechanic to do the work. But your new car should come with scheduled maintenance plans, so I suggest follow that only and it to Toyota for any work to be done. It's just safe proof for any future problems that may arise, and to show authenticity that work was all completed with the dealer and no third party shops was used.
I found this: https://www.scarboroughtoyota.ca/specials/service.htm

$53.95 special pricing right now, is this a good deal?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
kabyLake wrote: Dude no need to be rude, I mean if you don't feel like posting anything good then don't post anything at all, very simple. I would say Blitzforce is a champ for atleast trying to attempt something that some of us just leave it to someone else to handle. Appreciate his effort!
I have no clue why is that guy attacking me [..] because I missed the motor oil type line.....I've searched "oil change" and nothing came up, so I just searched "oil" and there's like thousands of these words in there.
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 1st, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: just ignore him
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yes it's a forum, but do some reading before asking such trivial questions.

It seems more like laziness more than anything. Asking if a $54 oil change is reasonable when ottofly already did the breakdown...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
ottofly wrote: So I direct you to a Toyota dealer saving time and labour and you reply with a personal attack because I didn't give you that advice with white glove treatment. Look at the downvotes your thread is getting. :rolleyes: You are somewhat correct, I need to have more patience for dumb questions on a sterilized forum. :)
I've just contacted Toyota. First service is $73.35 + tax, second service is $135.50+tax
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: I've just contacted Toyota. First service is $73.35 + tax, second service is $135.50+tax
What's included in those services? Best bet is to get a schedule maintenance plan (it's a list of all the servicing required for every KM intervals to keep your car running smoothly within the MFG warranty). When I had my RAV4 (2010) brand new I followed each and every service to the notch, and once I had an issue with the car within the warranty period and they found all my service records so they never asked any questions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)