Home & Garden

What to use to lubricate sliding patio door and windows?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2006 2:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7917 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

What to use to lubricate sliding patio door and windows?

just wondering what i should use to grease up my patio door and my windows

they are on metal frames without any rollers or plastic wheels to assist the rolling
so some sort of lubricant is a must and it has to last long too

is silicon grease what im looking for?
9 replies
Feb 5, 2006
539 posts
Brampton
Can anyone compare the effectiveness (from experience) of graphite, silicone, etc. and grease vs spray? :confused:

I know some are far more effective because dust doesn't stick to the lubricant, like oil based products, while others have a high thermal resistance. Graphite or silicone lubricant I believe is used as "anti-seize" in brake caliper mechanisms due to the fact that it doesn't break down in high-heat conditions.

Thanks!

Evil Techie wrote:just wondering what i should use to grease up my patio door and my windows

they are on metal frames without any rollers or plastic wheels to assist the rolling

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7917 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
i bought this motorcraft silicon lubricant spray from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink]

its a bit thin
works well for the windows
but didnt work well for the sliding patio door
theres a spot when sliding that seems like bare metal scrapping bare metal
i could hear the friction of the metal vs metal

that was before the spray but is still there after i sprayed it quite a bit
looks like this is too thin to handle it... maybe i need some thicker grease?

advices please

motor oil?
Nov 15, 2004
81 posts
Guelph
It's very possible that you have a seized wheel. Best bet is to take the rolling panel out of the door and have a look at the wheels to see if the roll freely.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7917 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
i dont know if the door has wheel or not

this apartment is like 21 years old
frames dont look like they have wheels
at least the windows dont seem like it

and door is really heavy to be taking it off easily
im not sure if i should, afraid i might break the glass in the door
Nov 15, 2004
81 posts
Guelph
The window probobly doesn't have wheels but the door most likely does. The silicone spray is the best stuff to use because it will not pick up dirt but will let the window slide freely. On the door check to see if there are any tabs screwed in at the top or bottom (in the track areas) and unscrew them and slide them out of the way. The door should then lift up and you can tilt the bottom out. If can be easier if you have two people (one on each side). You can buy replacement wheels at most hardware stores, just take in the old wheel (assuming there is one) and get the appropriate replacement.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
Evil Techie wrote:just wondering what i should use to grease up my patio door and my windows

Just got all of our sliding patio doors in our office repaired and the only thing that the company told us to do was to wash the tracks thoroughly & only spray with a good silicone spray (no wd40 or grease at all)

sk
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7917 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
thanx for the suggestions

ive tried to find those tabs that keep the door in but havent got much luck yet
and lately im by myself most of the time when im at home so got no one to help me with it and my friends are really busy lately

ill probably just call to get someone to have it fixed

its weird though cause the door opens smoothly like 1/4 of the way then it gets stuck like the wheel stopped turning
probably there is something jammed underneath
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
I use white lithium grease around the house, it's waterproof and works great. :)
× < >