Food & Drink

What vacuum sealer should I get?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 2:29 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
I haven't, mostly because now that I have a chamber, I have literally one use for a sucker type sealer: Drybag aging bags. Even then I might just reorder bags that fit.
There hasn't been a situation that warrants the sucker bags.
If it were me, I'd just get a chamber only.

EDIT: @kusitb assuming they get a notification for it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
So I'm about to make a batch of ice cream and was thinking: Why not mason jars?

Today I went to buy some 500mL wide mouth Bernardins just to see if they fit my VP112.
Good news everyone! They do. JUST barely. Apparently the regular mouth ones are a hair taller so they won't fit.

So now I'm going to test making my ice cream base directly in jars and sous vide them to temp.
I'm thinking a quick blend with my flavor base to make sure things are incorporated before going into a churn.

Yeah I need a blog... Or rather I should use my blog.
Dec 9, 2001
293 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
kusitb wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 11:53 am
Hello,

New forum member here.

I too am researching food vacuum sealers, and I've gone through this entire thread and some other threads in this forums. Has anyone ( @death_hawk ? ) tried any of the dual/hybrid types like the VacMaster DUO550?

https://www.amazon.ca/VacMaster-Suction ... KB078AN0JK
I've been looking at getting a chamber vacuum sealer too, did you end up getting this? If so, how is it?

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36363 posts
2370 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 12:12 am
So I'm about to make a batch of ice cream and was thinking: Why not mason jars?

Today I went to buy some 500mL wide mouth Bernardins just to see if they fit my VP112.
Good news everyone! They do. JUST barely. Apparently the regular mouth ones are a hair taller so they won't fit.

So now I'm going to test making my ice cream base directly in jars and sous vide them to temp.
I'm thinking a quick blend with my flavor base to make sure things are incorporated before going into a churn.

Yeah I need a blog... Or rather I should use my blog.
@death_hawk

So... how do you determine how much you can seal?
Im considering a chamber sealer... would i be able to seal a 5lb prime rib?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
Assuming you're talking about a VP112, it has a maximum bag size of 12x14. Maximum height is whatever a 500mL mason jar is.
So anything you can cram into 12x14 while leaving enough of an edge to get under the sealing bar you can seal.

It's been a while since I dry aged some prime rib, but I'm fairly certain I can roughly fit a half primal in there.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9836 posts
840 upvotes
Anyone who has recently bought one of these that can recommend a deal on one? Thanks :)
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1233 posts
91 upvotes
GTA
I'm REALLY starting to look into purchasing a chamber vacuum mainly for meal prepping and such.

Just curious if owners of the VP112s can give some feedback on liquids and pre-cooked meals.

I know that the bags are microwave and boil safe but just wondering if anyone has done it to get some feedback.
We are looking to make stews and soups and refrigerate them in batches and re-heat during the week.

Would the bags be safe to be reused? I would get the larger 12x14 4mil bags and wash them after each use.
May 28, 2012
9373 posts
1748 upvotes
Saskatoon
iam_immigrant wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:56 am
I'm REALLY starting to look into purchasing a chamber vacuum mainly for meal prepping and such.

Just curious if owners of the VP112s can give some feedback on liquids and pre-cooked meals.

I know that the bags are microwave and boil safe but just wondering if anyone has done it to get some feedback.
We are looking to make stews and soups and refrigerate them in batches and re-heat during the week.

Would the bags be safe to be reused? I would get the larger 12x14 4mil bags and wash them after each use.
I just bought the VP120 which is the next size up from the VP112. If you plan on using the bags again make sure to buy the longer ones. I find the 8x10 just barely adequate for three hamburgers and if you are reusing them you are cutting off that sealed section resulting in a smaller sized bag to reuse.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1233 posts
91 upvotes
GTA
Mars2012 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:11 pm
I just bought the VP120 which is the next size up from the VP112. If you plan on using the bags again make sure to buy the longer ones. I find the 8x10 just barely adequate for three hamburgers and if you are reusing them you are cutting off that sealed section resulting in a smaller sized bag to reuse.
Thanks for the reply. Was just thinking how else to save but after some more thought it wouldn't be feasible as bags are cheap enough already.

Also thanks for letting me know about the usable size as it's hard to visualize what can fit into which size bags. 1000 bags per box no matter how cheap is pointless if you have no use.

If you don't mind me asking did you buy from the site death_hawk mentioned, webstrauant.com?

That was the cheapest in my search. Thankd again.
May 28, 2012
9373 posts
1748 upvotes
Saskatoon
iam_immigrant wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:38 pm
Thanks for the reply. Was just thinking how else to save but after some more thought it wouldn't be feasible as bags are cheap enough already.

Also thanks for letting me know about the usable size as it's hard to visualize what can fit into which size bags. 1000 bags per box no matter how cheap is pointless if you have no use.

If you don't mind me asking did you buy from the site death_hawk mentioned, webstrauant.com?

No, I bought from a Canadian source. If you have the option, you should get it from the US, even with the exchange, I think you'd be ahead (especially if you can cross over to pick up).
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1233 posts
91 upvotes
GTA
I'm trying to search but couldn't really find the information I'm looking for but can anyone point me to where I can find the shelf life in fridge and freezer for vacuum sealed raw and cooked items?
Sep 8, 2002
316 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
iam_immigrant wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:38 pm

I bought one from webrestaurant not long ago, it's way way cheaper than getting it from anywhere in Canada. I love my sealer and like someone said earlier in the thread, it saves me so much time, and makes my life much easier. I use it every day. I am a kitchen toy junkie and this is one of the best / most used appliances I have bought ever. I wish I didn't wait so long to get it.

Question for others that have a chamber sealer, where do you get your bags? Perhaps a Canadian souce?

@death_hawk , you recommended 4 mil bags over 3 mils earlier, I usually fold down the top of the bags before filling, do you find the thicker bags crunchier? I am worried that the little cracks will be deeper and affect the seals if you know what I mean, although I worry about the same thing with the 3 mil bags too ...