Food & Drink

What is the white fuzz on ripe strawberry?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2014 8:06 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 29, 2003
11 posts

What is the white fuzz on ripe strawberry?

i usually purchase many quarts of strawsberry at one time, and leave them in the refrigerator. after a while, i see white fuzz on some of the overripen strawberries. i like to know:

1. what is the fuzz? does it mean the fruit is spoiled?
2. is there danger eating it, even though the fruit has been refrigeratored from day one.
3. do you need to throw out the whole basket or i can still eat the rest (just throw out the ones with the white fuzz)?

can someone also post a link to somewhere that has more info on this?

thanks
27 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1361 posts
228 upvotes
Yup..it is mold.

Just toss the fuzzy berry..the rest are OK...

Kinda like moldy cheese..just cut off the bad parts..
What dancing banana ?
[OP]
Dec 29, 2003
11 posts
are these molds poisonous then?

because if it is, then should i throw out the whole thing because the mold may have spread to the other berries even if i cannot them
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3370 posts
69 upvotes
y2kmp3 wrote:are these molds poisonous then?

because if it is, then should i throw out the whole thing because the mold may have spread to the other berries even if i cannot them

I've gotten moldy berries in packs of strawberries many times. The other berries are fine. Eating the moldy berry probably wouldn't hurt you, but it would taste like crap.

Many cheeses, yogurt, lots of foods contain mold.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
uve never seen mold b4?

thats funny

anyways, just cut the moldy parts off
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3370 posts
69 upvotes
Ate a moldy french fry at Harvey's once. Worst day of my life -- well maybe not worst, but it really sucked.
Banned
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville, with Ryan.
Evil Techie wrote:uve never seen mold b4?

thats funny

anyways, just cut the moldy parts off
I'd rather not, still. You don't know if it's spreading or not, it's microscopic. My immediate guess was that it could've been ice crystals, but general consesus is mold.
Monday, April 10th 2006: Marks the day MuchMusic ruined themselves for years to come.
MOOD: Ready to get owned 7 ways from Sunday
Want to know all the Raptors Off Season Buzz..
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=278444
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes
Just wahs them first, and than put it back in the fridge. And than..if they have mold few days later, toss 'em and wash the others b4 eating. How about if you freeze them? That should stop the mold indefinitely.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12226 posts
303 upvotes
Squiggles wrote:Ate a moldy french fry at Harvey's once. Worst day of my life -- well maybe not worst, but it really sucked.
hahaah, i got a moldy bun at harveys too! thats something i would expect at harveys.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13293 posts
231 upvotes
Midland
I've never had a problem with Harvey's - great burgers.
When I worked in Toronto years ago, I had lunch in the Manulife Centre and the hot dog bun was moldy.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18430 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
gordholio wrote:I've never had a problem with Harvey's - great burgers.
When I worked in Toronto years ago, I had lunch in the Manulife Centre and the hot dog bun was moldy.
Sometimes teh flour they use to keep teh buns separated looks like mold, its not.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6162 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
y2kmp3 wrote:i usually purchase many quarts of strawsberry at one time, and leave them in the refrigerator. after a while, i see white fuzz on some of the overripen strawberries. i like to know:

1. what is the fuzz? does it mean the fruit is spoiled?
2. is there danger eating it, even though the fruit has been refrigeratored from day one.
3. do you need to throw out the whole basket or i can still eat the rest (just throw out the ones with the white fuzz)?

can someone also post a link to somewhere that has more info on this?

thanks
...I always throw those bad ones away, I thought the white tuff on strawberrys was skeet fuzz.

Like that stuff Lil' John sings about, ya know. Skeet!..Skeet!..Skeet!..

Now I know, its mold.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1979 posts
7 upvotes
Kingston
hahaah, i got a moldy bun at harveys too! thats something i would expect at harveys.

oh god, me too. About ten years ago, and I forgotten about it 'til now. I ate about 3/4ths of the frickin burger, and then happened to turn it over for something...and most of what was left of the bottom part of the bun was green and moldy. ugh.
i still want to barf. lol
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1472 posts
120 upvotes
aquariaguy wrote:Just wahs them first, and than put it back in the fridge. And than..if they have mold few days later, toss 'em and wash the others b4 eating. How about if you freeze them? That should stop the mold indefinitely.
A frozen strawberry turns to mush when it's thawed. Unless you're making a smoothie or something, not an option.

The mold that grows on bruised or overripe strawberries shouldn't hurt you if you accidentally eat it. It won't taste very good, though.

One of the more common types of fuzzy white fruit mold is actually Penicillium, which is the same species that Penicillin comes from. :cool:
× < >