Off Topic Archive

Locked: What will happen if someone give false personal information to police?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2007 11:58 pm
Tags:
None
Sr. Member
Nov 26, 2004
607 posts
12 upvotes

What will happen if someone give false personal information to police?

What will happen if someone give false personal information to police?

I am hearing conflicting information about this. I watch the news reporting that Translink(BC) is getting void tickets because people were giving police false name or nonexistent address when they were caught for fare evasion. The news is also reporting that Ian Bush(also in BC) was taken to police detachment for having an open beer outside a hockey game and for giving a false name to the officer, he was later shot to death.

It is a bit extreme in both cases. In one hand, police arn't able to confirm the identity of the person who evade fare. In another hand, someone got shot to death for giving a false name.

What will happen if someone lie about no ID on them when police ask for it? And can people refuse police to perform body search?
Share:
23 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 10, 2006
1715 posts
4 upvotes
On TV they always take the guys to jail until they can come up with some ID :D

Do Cops ever just ask criminals what their name/address is? Seems a bit silly.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
14338 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
If they catch you, you will be charged with obstruction.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2330 posts
233 upvotes
Ajax
The cops will do everything in their power to verify who you are.

If you say you're John Smith, they're going to establish if you are or aren't John Smith.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 1, 2003
6375 posts
143 upvotes
Transit security is not a police officer, there is a difference.

Giving false information to a police officer can result in your being charge with obstruction (as stated above).

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs ... &length=50

Obstructing justice

139. (1) Every one who wilfully attempts in any manner to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice in a judicial proceeding,

(a) by indemnifying or agreeing to indemnify a surety, in any way and either in whole or in part, or

(b) where he is a surety, by accepting or agreeing to accept a fee or any form of indemnity whether in whole or in part from or in respect of a person who is released or is to be released from custody,

is guilty of

(c) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or

(d) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Idem

(2) Every one who wilfully attempts in any manner other than a manner described in subsection (1) to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.
see also:
http://www.duhaime.org/LegalResources/C ... stice.aspx
Examples of obstruction of justice are:

paying a person to give false evidence;
threatening or actually assaulting a person because they operated in a police investigation;
lying to police officer including giving a false name, the circumstances of the crime, the identity of the driver at the moment of a motor vehicle accident;
removing parking tickets from under windshield wiper; or
hiding or destroying evidence.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
4422 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
As per Canadian law, you will be shot to death.
Banned
May 13, 2006
728 posts
gei wrote:
Jun 28th, 2007 12:12 pm
As per Canadian law, you will be shot to death.
after you cold cock the officer.
Sr. Member
Dec 15, 2003
649 posts
Vancouver
G.H. wrote:
Jun 28th, 2007 6:30 am
The news is also reporting that Ian Bush(also in BC) was taken to police detachment for having an open beer outside a hockey game and for giving a false name to the officer, he was later shot to death.

It is a bit extreme in both cases. In one hand, police arn't able to confirm the identity of the person who evade fare. In another hand, someone got shot to death for giving a false name.
Are you ********? Go read up on this, he didn't get shot for giving a false name.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Examples of obstruction of justice are:

paying a person to give false evidence;
threatening or actually assaulting a person because they operated in a police investigation;
lying to police officer including giving a false name, the circumstances of the crime, the identity of the driver at the moment of a motor vehicle accident;
removing parking tickets from under windshield wiper; or
hiding or destroying evidence.
This is more interesting and probably less known.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6530 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
If a an officer has "Peace Officer status" (i.e. A CBSA Officer for example) and you fail to tell the truth about your name, etc... you CAN be charged with obstructing a Peace Officer which is basically the same as Obstructing a Police Officer I believe.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3068 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
bionicbadger wrote:
Jun 28th, 2007 3:54 pm
Transit security is not a police officer, there is a difference.

Giving false information to a police officer can result in your being charge with obstruction (as stated above).

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs ... &length=50


see also:
http://www.duhaime.org/LegalResources/C ... stice.aspx
They are now, in Vancouver.
Vancouver Forum - July 11th, 2005 - 11:54/11:42 (Computer) PM
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 6, 2006
2880 posts
you will end up in prison if they find it out..simple
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
11350 posts
758 upvotes
Mississauga
cwb27 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2007 5:11 pm
If a an officer has "Peace Officer status" (i.e. A CBSA Officer for example) and you fail to tell the truth about your name, etc... you CAN be charged with obstructing a Peace Officer which is basically the same as Obstructing a Police Officer I believe.
even, security guards are peace officers!
I know when I did security, I had Peace Officer status
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
14338 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
weedb0y wrote:
Jun 28th, 2007 10:08 pm
even, security guards are peace officers!
I know when I did security, I had Peace Officer status
No, they're not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_officers
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20228 posts
1496 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Jun 28th, 2007 10:08 pm
even, security guards are peace officers!
I know when I did security, I had Peace Officer status
Who employed you?
× < >

Top