None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4340 posts
413 upvotes
Markham

what would you do

There is a kid in my son's class in summer camp, he sometimes said some rude or dirty words to my son, how to deal with? Tell teachers? Ask my son stay away or else?

Thanks
6 replies
Jan 8, 2009
658 posts
290 upvotes
GTA
I would tell your kid to avoid this other kid but I would also mention it to the camp counsellor and/or supervisor so they're aware and can keep an eye out. I don't know if this kid is simply swearing or using those words *towards* your son but either way, the camp should be made aware.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20352 posts
7337 upvotes
Ottawa
I tell my kid to ignore the brat and if he continues to harrass and or is a bully to report to the teacher and let me know right away.
The best we can do as a parent is to teach them the right things, to support them continously; so that they never feel alone or helpless.
Mar 1, 2018
40 posts
4 upvotes
It’s heartbreaking to see our children upset.
The best we can do as a parent is to listen to our children, take their concerns seriously and be the best advocate for them that we can.

In my opinion, you have to report to the teacher and/or camp supervisor or even to the parents of this kid so they're aware and can keep an eye out.
The parents have to focus on teaching children how to communicate in a polite and positive manner.
If a problem continues, continue to communicate and work with the teacher to find a solution.
Feb 25, 2018
79 posts
21 upvotes
In my opinion, inform the teacher about kid’s inappropriate behavior.
The most effective way for dealing with a preschooler who is using bad words is a cooperation between the teachers & child’s parents.
To solve complex social issues with children can take time.
However, sometimes the avoidance is the only solution.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1614 posts
429 upvotes
Woodbridge
How old is the child? How long has the behaviour been happening? Do you have the whole story? Oftentimes children will go back and forth until one of them crosses a line and the other will tell. You'll usually only hear about the last in what could be along series of shots sent back and forth. Is your child being targetted for some reason? What's the nature of the behaviour? There is a lot to think about. Some kids also have anxiety about telling the teacher. I've heard about stuff happening outside at recess from parents because the child was afraid that if they told me I would get involved and they would be seen as a "snitch" and face even harsher behaviour. Bullying is a very, very complicated issue that changes drastically from individual to individual.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1163 posts
473 upvotes
This was a post regarding a SUMMER camp class, looking at the date, it was probably only the first few days of camp, for a max of a few weeks in duration. We don’t know if the Ops kid was targeted, or if this is a case of some misbehaved kid mouthing off.

Without any context, and just the above info, the course of behaviour is the teach the child to advocate for himself. If the other kid is mouthing off, but iis not targeting your child, then it’s an opportunity to have a discussion them what is appropriate and inappropriate behaviour.

If it the other kids is picking on your kids, then it’s time to teach your child to advocate for himself and to work with strategies to deal with this. It’s also a time to start teaching kids about intent, which really hard to do.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.