Food & Drink

What would you rate kwartha ice cream at? Are there ice creams well worth the dollar?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2017 3:26 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
dealo'day wrote: I don't get it. Is there anything wrong with there being fluffyness?
To me there's a limit.
Too fluffy and it's not satisfying.
Too dense and it's unscoopable.

I think self control is another thing.
For my ice cream, I can't eat more than like a few spoonfuls because it's rich and decadent.
But if I try a cheap ice cream that's mostly air, I'll eat a whole bucket of it and not even notice.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
joeyjoejoe wrote: I guess I'm one of the odds ones. I like my ice cream dense... never really realized this, but I guess it applies to most desserts. Prefer brownies over cake. American cheesecake over Japanese spongecheesecake.

Breyers mint chocolate chip was my favorite as a kid. Then they changed the chips to chucks... now Breyers scares me. It doesn't even melt.
I agree with all your points. I prefer brownies over cake usually, and furthermore I prefer dense "fudgey" brownies over "cakey" brownies lol. And definitely prefer a slice of New York cheesecake. The Japanese stuff doesn't even seem like cheesecake to me. I loved chocolate chip mint ice cream when it had real chocolate chips in it (as a kid). I don't care for the flakes or whatever they put in there now, and you are right - ice cream that doesn't even melt (keeps it's form) is gross and scary.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
death_hawk wrote: To me there's a limit.

For my ice cream, I can't eat more than like a few spoonfuls because it's rich and decadent.
But if I try a cheap ice cream that's mostly air, I'll eat a whole bucket of it and not even notice.
I guarantee I could eat a bucket of your rich, decadent ice cream. That is why I cannot allow myself to ever make ice cream. It would be very bad for me indeed. Self control around stuff I love is not my strong point - I'm better off just avoiding.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: I agree with all your points. I prefer brownies over cake usually, and furthermore I prefer dense "fudgey" brownies over "cakey" brownies lol. And definitely prefer a slice of New York cheesecake. The Japanese stuff doesn't even seem like cheesecake to me. I loved chocolate chip mint ice cream when it had real chocolate chips in it (as a kid). I don't care for the flakes or whatever they put in there now, and you are right - ice cream that doesn't even melt (keeps it's form) is gross and scary.
Are you my soulmate?

Oh wait you're a dog person.... never mind.Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2803 posts
1570 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: To me there's a limit.

So what are your thoughts on kulfi? Or is it too dense?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
I agree with all your points. I prefer brownies over cake usually, and furthermore I prefer dense "fudgey" brownies over "cakey" brownies lol.
I'm sorry, but is there literally anyone on earth that likes cakey brownies?

And definitely prefer a slice of New York cheesecake. The Japanese stuff doesn't even seem like cheesecake to me.

Personally I like both but for different reasons.
If I want (NY) cheesecake, I want a cheesecake.
But sometimes I have a craving for Japanese specifically where New York won't fill that hole.
I loved chocolate chip mint ice cream when it had real chocolate chips in it (as a kid). I don't care for the flakes or whatever they put in there now,

I hate to ruin ice cream for you, but it's the "whatever" that concerns me.
Instead of actual chocolate, a lot of ice creams (and foods for that matter) contain "chocolatey" chips made with cheaper oils.
So not only is the ice cream you're getting fake, the chocolate chips in there aren't even technically chocolate.
and you are right - ice cream that doesn't even melt (keeps it's form) is gross and scary.
Apparently there's demand for it though. Parents seem to like it for kids since it doesn't make a mess.
If I ever had kids though I'd be feeding them not garbage at the price on inconvenience.
But that's just me.

Chickinvic wrote:
I guarantee I could eat a bucket of your rich, decadent ice cream. That is why I cannot allow myself to ever make ice cream. It would be very bad for me indeed. Self control around stuff I love is not my strong point - I'm better off just avoiding.
Don't get me wrong. I could too. It's damn delicious and there's been a few times where I've done it.
dealo'day wrote:
So what are your thoughts on kulfi? Or is it too dense?
I actually had to google what it was, since I had no idea.
Apparently there's a couple shops in Vancouver. I'll give it a shot when I remember next and let you know.
icantfigureoutausername wrote: Belly Ice Cream. I spent about $10 at Whole Foods for a tub of this stuff, it was supposed to be the be all and end all.
If cost is a concern, DIY is about the only way to go.
Currently my cost is around $5/L compared to HD/BJ being closer to $15/L (not on sale) and $10/L when on sale.
Even if you buy a canister model and use it 10(ish) times you'll pay for the machine.

Now... this isn't nearly as cheap as the 4L buckets that are $1.99 but there's *GASP* cream of all things in my ice cream.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3754 upvotes
Count me in on the how certain desserts are done for me. Brownies need to be dense, ice cream (most of the time) needs to be rich and creamy and heavy, cheesecake needs to be heavy etc. The only exception I make for ice cream is if I want soft serve or gelato specifically.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2803 posts
1570 upvotes
Toronto
At least here in Toronto, it can be found in most grocery stores even though it's Indian ice cream. I kinda like it but it has this odd specifc taste that Lasi (Indian yogurt drink) has. I've only had one of each so it could be a coincidence.