• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 1:49 pm
Oct 5, 2016
19 posts

What would your approach be?

--!-- DELETE IF NOT ALLOWED --!-- My business is located in Europe, we are an online based company that wish to get into new markets. We have been targeting mostly Scandinavian and European based countries, however, we wish to get into new markets. We wish to enter the Canadian market but also the American. If you had a European-based company, what would your approach be, to get into markets like Canada and The United States? Thank you so much for all your advice I hope you can help me and my business.

3 replies
Jr. Member
May 21, 2015
125 posts
what's the product and pricing? what's your budget to move into canada/usa?
Oct 5, 2016
19 posts
typejr wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 3:00 am
what's the product and pricing? what's your budget to move into canada/usa?
Hi typejr, thank you for your response. We are comparison website, we compare prices on items - almost like Pricerunner but more niche oriented. Our budget is $50.000 +/- for each market. We don't need an office - yet - as we can run it all from here.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
There are few restrictions on online business in Canada and the United States, so your main issues will be promotion and setting up payment services. I'm sure you have your own thoughts on promotion.

As for payment, that's a more complex area. It depends on your volume of business, amount range of payments, what payment options you want to offer your customers, the specific tax jurisdiction you are based in, and how you are going to handle taxation requirements.

If you are not based in Canada or the United States, neither country requires you to charge tax to your customers, or pay taxes there, or to register for a tax ID in order to make online sales in those countries. But you are required to report income and pay taxes in your own jurisdiction, and most payment processors will require evidence that you are properly registered in your jurisdiction before being able to set up payment services and transfer money to your own domestic accounts.

If you do business with corporations or government agencies in the U.S., they will ask for your W-8BEN-E form (certification of foreign beneficial ownership for withholding tax purposes) before they are allowed to pay you without withholding tax.